• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cche7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
SICKO. I hope he gets what's coming to him

[Moderator Note: The next person who is even remotely insulting to another poster in this thread will be banned for a minimum of 72 hours, and possibly significantly longer. *Even remotely insulting* -t]
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Under his plea agreement, Alper agreed to register as a sex offender where he lives, works, and studies. If the court accepts the plea agreement, Alper will be sentenced to between 10 and 14 years in prison. The court has scheduled his sentencing for October 28.

I'm a little confused by this part. Wasn't he already made to register after the first conviction? And if 10 to 14 years is the plea then what's the maximum sentence?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
haldenlith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Hate to sound like a dick, but where were the girl's parents? It's hard for a thirteen year old to magically get money to go to a con, or to have a cellphone.

Not to mention most thirteen year olds I know are smart enough not to drop their pants for a 30-something guy... Not saying the guy isn't at fault, but I feel the girl should get some sort of punishment as well.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:
Hate to sound like a dick, but where were the girl's parents? It's hard for a thirteen year old to magically get money to go to a con, or to have a cellphone.

Not to mention most thirteen year olds I know are smart enough not to drop their pants for a 30-something guy... Not saying the guy isn't at fault, but I feel the girl should get some sort of punishment as well.
It's never the girl's fault in America even though they do come with brains as wel, and most schools tech sex ed by 5th grade and the dangers of it. If her parents are not just blind, but also insane...there will be no punishment. I'm hoping she lost her cellphone ,interent use ect ect ect.

I also hate how this guy looks just like 80% of the other Caucasian con-goers. Lose weight people , so you don't look like a molester.
Goggen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:

Uh-oh... better not let Oprah hear you talking like that.

I do wonder about the girl, though. She "engaged in sexual explicit conduct" with him twice, so apperently she was okay with doing it with a 30-year-old (thereby participating in making him a sex offender) but when it turns out he was already a sex offender before then all of a sudden it's bad?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:

Any punishment would be strictly carried out by parents or guardians. They don't even have to if they don't want to, though most parents I know would have a very long talk with their kid and provide a proper punishment. As for the con, the parents probably didn't attend and she was with a group. Maybe she saved up, maybe the parents gave her money, maybe it was a present; they probably didn't think anything would come of it. And the thing with phones is that parents often don't check because they don't think their child is up to anything. Even when they are.

Last edited by RestLessone on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
A guy who works for the same company I do in Cheverly, MD lives down the road from this loser.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It's very worrying to me that anime & comic conventions may not already be screening registrants in general as it is. I've attended Katsucon for years; it is not huge but it's also not a small-time con. If it wasn't checking for offenders then I have to wonder about everybody else. This case should be a wake up call.

And blaming the victim is stupid as hell, so don't.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaricore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Speaking from experience, young girls lie about their age.. When I was 21 I ended up going home with a 15 year old girl I met at a rave. The party was 18+ with ID checks at the door, so she clearly had a fake license or knew the promoter. Long story short she told me I should leave a few days later because her mom would be home.. It was only at that point she shamefully confessed to not being 18. Now my situation and this guy's are vastly different, but based on the things I've been through I have to wonder who did the coercing. Without seeing what this girl looks like I can only speculate that she might look older than she is. He's still very much at fault (especially considering his previous conviction), but I agree with others that she should be held accountable in some way as well. .shrug.

GWOtaku wrote:
And blaming the victim is stupid as hell, so don't.

The victim in certain cases is often debatable, mind you I don't think anyone is blaming her outright, but to say she isn't at fault is stupid in its own way. Based on how the story reads she only freaked out when she found out he was a sex offender? If that's true and she knew his age the whole time saying she's entirely innocent is absurd.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to the sickos to make the rest of us older guys that go to cons feel like eyeballs will be watching us double now. I already have issues with going to cons and being the odd man out, and this guy has to make it just that much harder. We as a fandom don't need the stigma of jerks like this making us look like pedophiles and creepy rapists.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
It's very worrying to me that anime & comic conventions may not already be screening registrants in general as it is. I've attended Katsucon for years; it is not huge but it's also not a small-time con. If it wasn't checking for offenders then I have to wonder about everybody else. This case should be a wake up call.

A wake up for what? Using common sense? Yeah, she was only 13, but she knew enough to do the deed with him, twice (at least) and even then only reported him after her friend told her he was a "sex offender".

Uh, did he look young for his age, like... oh, I dunno... only 25 or so? I wonder how that conversation with her friend went. "Hey, did you know that the guy you've been screwing is a sex offender?" "Oh no! That's totally not cool! I thought he was just an older guy who liked middle school girls!"

Oh well. The guy was an idiot and a sicko, but I think 13+ years is way too much for this sort of offense. Now, he'd gotten violent with her, that'd be a different story. But consentual sex? Excessive, IMO.

And, hey, if you're a kid at a con (by "kid" I mean anyone under 18), be careful! Just because some guy shares your passion for something, it doesn't mean you should horizontal boogie with him (or her). It doesn't mean that you shouldn't, either. Just... use your brain. Jeez.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
While this is a terrible thing to have happen, I would hope that if cons are going to use any offender lists, they screen what the offenses are. There are people on those lists that have nothing to do with minors, or even sex at all. In some areas, getting caught urinating in public is enough to wind up on the list (for public exposure). I would hate to see people be banned from conventions because they made a poor decision that has nothing to do with a minor.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

A wake up for what?

If this man had been screened and been unable to attend Katsucon, this situation might have been avoided. Other terrible ones could be too. Beyond that, I have zero interest in getting into the mud with you and others about this beyond what I have already said.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaricore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Btw the age of consent in Maryland is 16. Who knows what she told him. Maybe the classic "I'm 15 but I'll be 16 next month, we should keep in touch."? Again not condoning the situation by any means, but without knowing more I also won't fully condemn him.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Leave it to the sickos to make the rest of us older guys that go to cons feel like eyeballs will be watching us double now. I already have issues with going to cons and being the odd man out, and this guy has to make it just that much harder. We as a fandom don't need the stigma of jerks like this making us look like pedophiles and creepy rapists.

Word. I'm over forty now. Going to Sakura-con makes me feel... sorta uncomfortable. The eyes wander, but the brain says, "No way. Too young." It doesn't help that there aren't a lot of people to chat with, either. Well... there's the VAs, but they tend to have better things to do.

Still, it's fun to go and I don't intend to stop any time soon. But I know exactly what you're talking about.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13