• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Trigun: Badlands Rumble [2011-07-13]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
In 10 years of being a Trigun fan i must admit I've never ONCE come across a fan of the dub cast. Wolfwood always was and will be Sho hayami to me. And he did a great job on what few lines Wolfwood got in Badlands rumble imo.
And filler hijinks it might be but the Vash/Amelia foot fettish gag was AWESOME. Maaya Sakamoto was utterly spot on - I laughed for a good week at that scene when I saw the movie last year Smile
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
In 10 years of being a Trigun fan i must admit I've never ONCE come across a fan of the dub cast. Wolfwood always was and will be Sho hayami to me.

Not trying to sound like a smart-ass but really where have you been? xD In fact I think Jeff Nimoy as Wolfwood has just as many if not more fans then Johnny Bosch has as Vash
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I have my ticket for the theatre showing here, but it is not the dub version. I'll have to wait for the dub when it is released. Of course I'm buying it. Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
The Nagabuchi wrote:
In 10 years of being a Trigun fan i must admit I've never ONCE come across a fan of the dub cast. Wolfwood always was and will be Sho hayami to me.

Not trying to sound like a smart-ass but really where have you been? xD In fact I think Jeff Nimoy as Wolfwood has just as many if not more fans then Johnny Bosch has as Vash

It's the same where I'm from. Everyone I know that watched it first saw it on adult swim, and so that's what stuck with them. The power of first impressions.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie at some point. Sadly, I don't live anywhere that would have it in a theater, so I'll have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray. It's nice to know that the actors did a good job of replacing the original dub actors since that could be a major hindrance to its acceptance with the Western audience that it was aimed at.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Overall I actually liked the Trigun movie better than the TV series. The animation quality alone arguably gave it a significant leg-up, seeing as the original series was severely lacking in that regard (especially compared to contemporaries like Bebop or even Madhouse's own Cardcaptor Sakura).

I am also a little surprised by people's longstanding appreciation for the series' dub, as I found it fairly uneven at least in execution, often botched by over-enunciation and awkward word emphasis--typically in minor characters, but especially with Wolfwood and occasionally Vash; I would actually go so far as to say that this was JYB's weakest role, albeit also one of his earliest. That being said, I hope his performance here isn't strictly speaking, "exactly like he never left," but rather honed to perfection with 10 years of experience, since I think everything he has done since Trigun has been basically flawless.

I was a little disappointed to see that the voices of the Insurance Girls had not been recast, since Meryl and Milly were probably the most enjoyable part of that original dub for me. But then again, I also like Luci Christian and Trina Nishimura quite a bit, so the overall quality will probably remain unchanged, if not even improved. Either way, I am very excited to see this dub.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
In 10 years of being a Trigun fan i must admit I've never ONCE come across a fan of the dub cast.

The dub is about just as popular as Cowboy Bebop's. I've heard from people that absolute despise dubs but prefer the Trigun dub.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Give that I like Trigun and heard the dub first, it is a dub that did not age well with time. It is still listenable, but it shows its age.

I was thinking about going to Philly to see the film since is the closest showing to me, but I don't know if it is the dub or sub. Knowing what I know now, I think I will just wait for the home release then watch the series with the Japanese dub then watch the film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
Half of the Trigun anime series felt like rambling to me so I'd say the movie is par for the course.

Sounds like I can probably skip buying it if there is nothing special about it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
I admit to liking Johnny Young Bosch as Vash quite a lot (he's a good voice actor), but the accent they gave Wolfwood in the dub... I know they were trying to emulate the Osaka dialect, but it was grating to me personally. I also wasn't that impressed by the voice acting for Meryl and Milly... but then again, I definitely saw the Japanese version first.

This movie sounds like a rental for me. Check it out, see how much I like it, then decide whether to buy it. Which is, admittedly, unlikely in the year that I'm buying all of Revolutionary Girl Utena. Priorities.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
I really want to watch this. Since there hasn't been any more news on anymore theatres playing this movie in my city I guess I'll have to give up my dream of seeing it in theatres. Sad
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:

During the shows heyday, Australia. It didn't air on tv however (although we DID get Eva on tv before the US did). But I've never come across an Australian fan of JYB either. Its not that I know anyone who actively hate on the guy, just most people I've met thought that he came across sounding forced and just very..well...American.

Then again, back when Eva first aired there was this huge party at my University for the first episode ... and when people realised it was the dub everyone basically went home, lol.

I've heard Jeff Nimoy interviewed and he sounds like a cool guy. From the 15mins or so I've heard from the dub he doesnt manage to capture the nuance or personality that Sho Hayami did. Not even close. But to each their own.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
I watched the subbed version, because my only experience with Trigun is the classic DVD version you referred to. I borrowed the entire series several times from my local library before getting the Funimation boxset last Christmas. I am a fan. However, for those who dislike the movie, I'm cool with it. I'm not gonna fanboy rage over different opinions.

I actually think it's only the second best anime spinoff movie this year. I still like The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya better. I'm not one of those who goes to a movie to analyze and pick it apart. That's the reviewer's job. Just take it as a "popcorn flick," a way to pass 90 minutes reliving the enjoyment you had watching the original years ago. I'll buy the DVD.

Oh and I agree with the reviewer. Wolfwood looked a LOT more like "manga Wolfwood" than "anime Wolfwood." I didn't realize it until you pointed it out, probably because I haven't watched the series since Dark Horse finished their run of the manga, to my great shame. Embarassed
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
During the shows heyday, Australia. It didn't air on tv however (although we DID get Eva on tv before the US did). But I've never come across an Australian fan of JYB either.

That explains a lot. Whether we want to admit it or not, often our preferences come from which we heard first, so that when we hear someone very different it sounds very wrong. Take why I hate the Hellsing dub; Crispin Freeman's a talented actor, but his voice is at least an octave higher than Jouji Nakata's and I cannot stand it. I know I tend to prefer actors who "match" the qualities of the original Sometimes, though, as in the case of, say, Isaac in Baccano!, a very different kind of voice nonetheless captured the character. It's... messy. I tend to consider myself a "dubfectionist." I think my ideal audio track would be an impossible mash-up of different voices, the original with occasionally from the dub, to get a "perfect" cast.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
So a mere piece of fan-bait?

Well, I'm interested enough to watch it, but I don't think I'll be buying a copy to sit next to my Trigun TV series DVDs.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
To me, everything about the movie sounds AWESOME... except one thing:

Quote:
Wolfwood is an obvious example of this, modeled after the manga version's more bishounen appearance: no tan, no stubble, no crows' feet.

25% of his hotness. Gone.

It is so hard to find a rugged man in an anime that isn't either a mass of muscle, or overweight.

Anyway, this movie sounds like it'll put a big smile on my face. Can't wait to get it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2