• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Prime Minister Advised to Promote Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote
If anyone's interested, the report by the Japan Forum on International Relations on which the AFP article was based is in English here:
http://www.jfir.or.jp/e/pr_e/e-jf-pr-25/pr25e.pdf
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
He should show up randomly in Japanese cartoons playing himself wearing a James Bond rocket pack, just like that pointless cameo by Tony Blair on the awful, unfunny Britain episode of The Simpsons from last season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well, that report is a little dry, although the bit about the "New Middle Ages" will certainly give me nightmares...

But seriously, the government must be floundering and rudderless to want to adopt the dual strategies of navel-gazing ("...gaining a fuller understanding and awareness of its own country and culture.") and propaganda via anime and manga. Yikes.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kind of ironic since another government agency doing a study on "cultural exports" found anime and manga to have little to no cultural value.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually the Forum is an NGO that makes recommendations to the government.

http://www.jfir.or.jp/e/about_us_e/index.htm
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Cowpunk wrote:
Actually the Forum is an NGO that makes recommendations to the government.

http://www.jfir.or.jp/e/about_us_e/index.htm

Oh, so it's like a "team" from Dilbert. Well, that makes more sense, I guess. Mea culpa.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
you know the economy is in the toilet when almost all your income is coming from foreigners.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
you know the economy is in the toilet when almost all your income is coming from foreigners.

Yes, and according to a story in a recent issue of the WSJ, Japan's savings rate is way down, too.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Absurd, the real sign of a weak economy is when no foreigners want to buy your product, then your economy shrivels like an old tomato.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

It's not our fault when a nation is told to buy buy buy and not actually save any of it.

(Prizes bring true happiness)
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Kind of ironic since another government agency doing a study on "cultural exports" found anime and manga to have little to no cultural value.

What exactly did they define "cultural value" as, then? I'm certainly no expert, but seeing as anime and manga were birthed by Japanese culture, wouldn't they have some sort of cultural value?
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:

What exactly did they define "cultural value" as, then? I'm certainly no expert, but seeing as anime and manga were birthed by Japanese culture, wouldn't they have some sort of cultural value?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Red Recluse wrote:
Stueypark wrote:

Many anime are set either in space or some fantastical kingdom, and even the ones that are set in Japan are not always very realistic. That was the major gripe of the above mentioned report. By watching such shows no one is seeing a particularly realistic picture of what Japanese life is like.
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
True, true. This may be a bit trivial, but my first run-ins with anime and manga made me want to learn about the culture that sustained these forms of art. Many others would say the same, no doubt; but like I said, this might be a little trivial. (So why am I posting this? Confused )
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote
Anime and manga is no different than electronic gadgetry, or cars, or cameras. If there is an overseas market that wants it why not flog it to them? All nations do this in principal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1