• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saw Film Director Wants to Remake Ninja Scroll Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, on the bright side, we probably wouldn't have to worry much about the content being toned down.... unless it gets a ridiculously inflated budget or something.

/comments as if he's actually someone that's even seen Ninja Scroll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Are we talking about a new anime here? Or are we talking live action? Maybe he'll do it CGI-style just to f**k with us...
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
What the hell makes the American filmmakers think they can make good live-action versions of Japanese works when they almost always botch up homemade works? Hollywood has gone to crap now, it's always movie remakes of film adaptation of something existing and very few originality (Nolan's Inception).

Total boycott on crappy or pointless things like this *cough cough or Michael Bay crap cough cough*
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I could see Ninja Scroll working since it's actually the kind of think that could be made as a relatively low budget, hard R, gorefest and assuming it was done well, still be a good movie.

TopGunman wrote:
Hollywood has gone to crap now, it's always movie remakes of film adaptation of something existing and very few originality (Nolan's Inception)

Of course, this is all just as true of anime.

The simple fact is that 90% of everything is crap. It's pretty transparent and self serving to whine about the 90% in Hollywood while ignoring all the bad anime out there.

(And really, if absolutely nothing else, anime fans need to stop with the "dur...hollywood = adaptations" whining. Your whole bloody hobby is built around adaptations of manga and light novels). Rolling Eyes
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
What the hell makes the American filmmakers think they can make good live-action versions of Japanese works ...

James Wan is Malaysian / Australian. Not that that invalidates your complaint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

(And really, if absolutely nothing else, anime fans need to stop with the "dur...hollywood = adaptations" whining. Your whole bloody hobby is built around adaptations of manga and light novels). Rolling Eyes

This I find amusing and accurate, just thought I'd point this out before it gets covered up by all the moaning about how Ninja Scroll is sacred and should not be touched by the unholy hands of hollywood yadda yadda, blah, blah, bitch, bitch, moan, moan Rolling Eyes
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

This I find amusing and accurate, just thought I'd point this out before it gets covered up by all the moaning about how Ninja Scroll is sacred and should not be touched by the unholy hands of hollywood yadda yadda, blah, blah, bitch, bitch, moan, moan Rolling Eyes

Yes and it should also be pointed out that not everything is an adaptation of something, no need for ignorance Rolling Eyes , I'm neutral on the whole Ninja Scroll thing really, I wasn't a fan, but I know its considered a classic, and people bitch about Hollywood, because they've yet to create anything that's not terrible so, lol
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
At least The Saw guy would be a better thematic match for NS than Dicaprio. But I keep saying the only guy I want attached to a live-action Ninja Scroll is Ryuhei Kitamura. I mean, he's Japanese, but he speaks excellent English, and he has experience with action-horror and samurai stuff. So give him the job already, dammit!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

This I find amusing and accurate, just thought I'd point this out before it gets covered up by all the moaning about how Ninja Scroll is sacred

Besides, Ninja Scroll is hardly even sacred. First of all, it's more popular in the West than in Japan itself - Japanese otaku couldn't care less, so neither should you if there's a Western remake. Secondly, it's more popular among newbie and casual anime fans than otaku - a lot of otaku haven't even seen it; they consider it like a typical hack 'n slash Hollywood movie! So I laugh at all these complaints when they derided it when the animated movie first came out 18 years ago! Oh the multiple ironies! Laughing
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
it's always movie remakes of film adaptation of something existing and very few originality (Nolan's Inception).

It's a remake of a donald duck comic
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of adaptations everywhere. That's not the problem. The problem is how good is the adaptation. I would presume something like Ninja Scroll lends itself well to a straightforward live version. But then again, I thought the same about Noir until I read about all the changes.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
Hm....this might be interesting to see. And considering it is Saw's director we can definitely expect a ninja gore fest of a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Before people fanrage, James Wan was only the director of the first Saw, which was actually really good. Insidious, his recent movie, was actually really good.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Secondly, it's more popular among newbie and casual anime fans than otaku - a lot of otaku haven't even seen it; they consider it like a typical hack 'n slash Hollywood movie!

Those otakus haven't seen any 70s or 80s samurai movies. Besides Kill Bill, I haven't seen any Hollywood movies, where characters bleed like geysirs.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Despite that I am not a fan of the overrated Saw franchise, Wan seems like a pretty good choice to direct Ninja Scroll and since he has good experience relating to gore scenes, at least Ninja Scroll won't be neutered in that department.

BTW, where the hell is my live action Fullmetal Alchemist movie? I'm still waiting for that to be made!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2