• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Discontinues Collections

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
thats a shame. I thought the collections were good and for a very good price too.
Balboa369

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they do this with the Gundam Movie collection not too long ago? Whats up?
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they realised nobody was buying the collection sets since already everybody had bought the individual DVDs. I mean if people liked the series they would have gone out and bought it already right? You don't even get all the nice extras in the collection sets as you do with most art boxes - that’s one of my main reason why I didn't buy the Witch Hunter Robin collection box.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The reason they are no longer producing them, is because they were meant to be sellers for the holidays from the beginning. Obviously, those are over now, and so will these good deals, except I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of these last month.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! I knew I should have bought Fancy Lala. Mad
rpb3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Grr, I wanted the Love Hina collection. Teach me to wait :-p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I've already got my Ronin Warriors collection.

Nostalgia-riffic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Triad wrote:
You don't even get all the nice extras in the collection sets as you do with most art boxes - that’s one of my main reason why I didn't buy the Witch Hunter Robin collection box.

the nice thing about some of the collections were that they were major space savers though which was good if you're like me and short on room for new anime
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
rpb3000 wrote:

Same with me. Buy.com still has it, for $127 though. Oh well, at least there's still the regular DVD's.

Overstock.com is the cheapest, but they only do parcel post that takes 10-20 days... for as cheap as they are, this is too slow.

DeepDiscountDVD, even if it is more expensive, I can buy as much as I want and 2-3 day shipping will still be $6.95
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
rpb3000 wrote:

I waited too, but they still have some out and I got it ordered a couple days ago for about $112.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I was planning on waiting for the compilations of several series. Better than spending $20-30/dics for 6-8 discs.

Of course, maybe they want to discourage people from doing that...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to see Love Hina too but I don't really want to spend the money. They probably still have it at Best Buy or wherever. Did they say anything about the Escaflowne? Because I have been meaning to get that for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamelore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I knew about this back in November when Deep Discount DVD removed Banner of the Stars II Collection and Betterman from its site during the 20% off sale.

After several phone calls to DDD, totally denying that they took it down in error, I contacted Bandai. Via email, Bandai confirmed that these collections were out of print LESS THAN 1 MONTH INTO PRODUCTION.

I picked up collections for Betterman, Banner of the Stars I, and II over the past couple months through various means. (BTW, why all the low ratings for Betterman? Nothing spectacular, but not bad at all! I particularly liked the explicit scientific explanations for everything.)

Since hearing the other 4 sets that are out of print, I went ahead and ordered Geneshaft too, since I had it on my wishlist. I'd get Love Hina, but it is unreasonably expensive, so I will just wait for that collection on Blu-Ray.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I had wanted to buy the Geneshaft collection as well but it has been virtually out of print since it came out. Plus none of the collections ever graced the store shelves in my area (I stumbled over a Gundam UC boxset on a shopping trip the Sunday before Xmas and was able to pick it up but that was it) Mad.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
I had wanted to buy the Geneshaft collection as well but it has been virtually out of print since it came out.

Ahh that sucks. All the Best Buys around here had at least one or two copies of it and I picked one up. Apparently it's still in stock at BB.com although the price has gone up. If they still have some, I'm sure some of the other internet stores do as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2