• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamelore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
My top 9 are (let's just ignore Akira, Metropolis, and all Miyazaki films, cause they would take up all 10 slots):

Now and Then, Here and There Along with Trigun, this one attempted to change the way I felt about certain things that had been ingrained in me. Unlike Trigun, this one succeeded.

Naruto It started out feeling a bit uninspired, but it has shaped up to be a fine anime with plenty of drama and amazing animation. I can see why people would be offended by it, but really I think it is a bit arrogant to ignore the entire show for a few mistakes.

Read or Die OVA Wonderful music and action scenes. Excellent writing. spoiler[*You didn't just mess with her book, did you? -- time to watch out* :)]

Silent Mobius This is a great series with excellent music. (For me, music is what makes 40-60% of anime).

Cat Soup Though it is only like 30 minutes long, it ranks up there with most of the top anime movies I've seen.

Noir
Another a beautiful series with excellent music. Not going to spoil it like people did for me, so I won't say another word.

Crest of the Stars I absolutely loved this series. I have yet to watch Banner of the Stars I and II, but I will get around to them sometime. It's the ultimate sci-fi series.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence I never cared for Ghost in the Shell too much. Felt like a rehashed Blade Runner and uninspired. The music was great. However, GitS2 blew me away. Absolutely gorgeous scenery, music, and direction while mulling over interesting ideas, all set in the future with cyborgs... Perfect.

Cowboy Bebop For me this was the anime that finally pushed me over the edge from "secret admirer" to "fan". I'd always loved Akira and Princess Mononoke, and what I'd seen of Macross Saga, but I just didn't know where to start. Then Cartoon Network got Cowboy Bebop exposed me to what I *knew* existed, but just had no other way of finding it. Best anime series ever created.

Blue Seed is an honorable mention. Nice combination of humor and action, and good character interactions.

the_seventh_child wrote:
well here:
#6:S-cry-ED:i currently watching it..haven't watched the whole of it yet but i can say that i like it a lot..

spoiler[That would explain it.] It is probably the only "bad" anime I've seen. spoiler[While good most of the way, they totally, utterly lost it in the last couple episodes. Disgusting.]
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Here They are,

10. CowBoy Bebop
Bebop was the first anime I ever saw, I owe it a spot on my list because with out it i would not like anime today.

9. HellSing
what can I say he's the ultimate unkillable badass but its not long enough. should have been 26 episodes.

8. Record of the Lodoss War
I love D&D so i love RLW. Its also older and i seem to prefer hand drawn backgrounds and charcters better than the newer styles.

7. R.O.D.
Great charcters, Great story just fantastic and fun to watch.

6. Full Metal Alchimist
Pretty good show, decentaly funny, good story.

5. Trigun
Amazing Charcter designs Really Funny and has a pretty good story.

4. Flcl
I love Gainax. So inturn i love Flcl, the Show is Freakin Funny, Great Charcters Good Art.

3.Gunbuster, Aim for the top!
Agin Gainax, freakin good , love the story cant wait for the sequal. Really good Charcters to.

2. Full Metal Panic
Well what can i say I also Love giant Robots, And this Show is Amazing Great Charcters Good music, Lots of Action Comedy, And Drama.

1. Neon Genisis Evangelion
The ultimate in Anime to me my Absoulte Faviorite Anime Ever.
Insane Story, Amazing Charcters , Wiced cool Mecha, Great Action, With a hint of Romance, Comedy, Drama, And Religion And Psychology, all come to gethat to make perfection.

Now on to the Crap

5. Ghost in the shell Stand alone complex
One word Boring, need an actual story!

4. Sailor moon
Freakin hate it, very anoying.

3. Blood The last vampire
Agin boring, Charcters do not show emotion dot feel like they are alive.

2. Kenkiader
See Above.

1. Witch hunter robin
See Above.

So there you go my list

Honorable mentions I really like thease to but i cant finde room on my list at the current time

Inuyasha
Najica Blitz Tactics
Fist of the North Star
Ghost in the Shell
Chrono Crusade
Rahxephon
Lord Vicious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
To start, it was sad to see Ghost in a Shell in Sousuke Segari's crap section. But anyways, whatever. But how about top five?

5. Lupin III series. Well, I haven't seen every Lupin III episodes (who can actually claim they've seen every one of them?). But I've seen quite a few and its an excellent series. Especially the movie "Castle of Cagliostro". That has to be one of the best of Lupin III franchise (even though they never used Lupin's name directly in the english version.)

4. Akira. A given.

3. Ghost in a Shell. Incredibly deep and engrossing storyline. Im enjoying the new Stand Alone Complex series also that they're showing on Adult Swim.

2. Ranma 1/2. Just an excellent comedy. Too bad Rumiko's Inyuasha isn't as good.

1. Cowboy Bebop. This series brought me to become the pure addict that I am now for anime. The pop cultured, jazz infused classic deserves to be on everyones shelf.

Also some new series that are looking promising: Full Metal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Last Exile. Oh yeah some crap? How about the overly drawn out Inuyasha (not its not all bad i guess, but not the best for sure).
Jake3DTrains

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
[deleted for outdated-ness]

Last edited by Jake3DTrains on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
it not that SAC is crap or any thing its an ok show, but what pisses me off is the "there is no main storyline BS", and the fact that the charcters are so one sided they dont feel like they are real. However i do like the origional movie, i will let you know about the sequal when dreamworks admits they fucked it up and fixes it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
alanimefreak24 wrote:
now the worst

5. case closed

4. lupin the 3rd

3.gudam ~ all there is there so many ~

2.big o

You see, this is why providing competent reasons for your choices is not optional. Had you actually cared to explain why you disliked these shows, then I'd have quite liked to have debated it with you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
The purpose of why this top 10 list got sticky was because people provided reason. For people who don't provide reason, I think they should get thier post deleted, just to keep the thread on topic and and won't attract more newbies from posting lists.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
Whoa! Shocked Gundam and Lupin are listed amongst the worst Anime? Now that's news to me. Rolling Eyes I'm not crazy about GITS2, but it's not one of my least favorites especially when i have seen far worse I.E. Humanoid,M.D.Geist,Mad Bull 34, Bounty Dog etc. But as i have always said; everyone are entitiled to their opinions (As long as it does'nt conflict with mine. Twisted Evil )
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
it not that SAC is crap or any thing its an ok show, but what pisses me off is the "there is no main storyline BS", and the fact that the charcters are so one sided they don't feel like they are real. However i do like the origional movie, i will let you know about the sequal when dreamworks admits they fucked it up and fixes it.

No main storyline? Ehh.. there is most certainly a main storyline. Just like any other series it has both episodic and central plot themed shows, it's just that SAC happens to tell you which it will be in the subtitle. As for the characters being "one-sided", they are pretty set in their ways, but the standalone eps show you other sides of them. This is especially so in 2nd gig.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Here's mine...

10) Revolutionary Girl Utena - I watched this when we had an Utena marathon at a friend's house, and at first I figured I wouldn't like the show because I didn't really care for the character designs and the series just wasn't all that appealing, but I was wrong, this show turned out to be a lot better than I originally thought, and being a fan of Sailor Moon the fact that it was done by the same director probably helped too...

9) Sailor Moon - This was the first anime TV series that I was hooked on, while the monster of the week theme does get rather repetitive, this is probably one of the few series I watched when I was yound that I can still watch to this day without getting disgusted after just a couple of episodes...

8) Tenchi Muyo! (OVA/Universe/GXP/Movies) - A friend got me hooked on these, and while the series doesn't grab me as much as it once did, it's still one of the early ones that got me hooked on the romantic comedy genre of anime, I love the characters, the comedy (especially in GXP) and I do like the storylines

7) Kare Kano - This is another series I like, the characters are great and I like the comedy and stuff in it, though I don't like where the series ended, it still was a great series that deserves it's recognition...

6) Naruto - While do love the manga and show of this to death, it's just fallen off for me recently, I just can't keep up with these long running series anymore, after Sailor Moon and DBZ, the series that are hundreds of episodes long just seem to get way too much of a hastle to watch and they are especially expensive to buy, but overall, my big draw in Naruto are the characters, I just love the a back story has been worked out of each character, and I think Kishimoto has just done an awesome job with the series to this point...

5) Detective Conan/Case Closed - Ignoring my remarks in the previous post about long running series, this is just one of the series I love to watch simply to see if I can figure out how did it before Conan/Shinichi, though the main plot doesn't move along all that quickly the series still does a pretty good job of keeping you entertained in each episode by offering up a new mystery

4) Fullmetal Alchemist - While I don't think this series lives up to all the hype, it's still a great series. It's got some great characters, storylines, music, ect. I've enjoyed all the episodes I've seen so far, and ignroing the filler the TV series is just as good as the manga, though either way...I still hated the ending of episode 25...

3) Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories - This is the best Gundam series hands down, it's good, and it gets straight to the point. While the characters weren't the greatest in the series, the storyline was great and it just made sense that it was happening...

2) Ah! My Goddess (TV/OVA/Movies) - This is still one of my favorite series, and has been even since I saw the OVA. Keiichi and Bell are one of the greatest anime couples, and it's good to still see them even today in the new AMG TV series, and while the series has aged a bit I'm also happy to see that it's still accepted and liked by the fans

1) Air - I don't know why, but this anime grabbed me in the first episode and I just fell in love with it, and yes I relieze it's only been 3 episodes and I know I'm probably taking a risk by listing it as my favorite anime, but seeing as how the show has such a great storyline and so far I love all the chracter (especially Haruko) and the animation is just beautiful. The episodes do love to leave you with cliffhangers, but of course that just makes me want to keep watching, and so far I haven't seen one thing bad about this series...

That's my faves, and well...for honorable mention I gotta say Serial Experiments Lain and Crest of the Stars are great series too Smile

Least Favorite animes...

5) Dragonball GT - While I was a big fan of the original and Z when I was younger, GT was just a huge let down. It seems that all Toei did was reuse Toriyama's characters and then made the story up as they went along, oh wait...that is all they did ;p

4) Super Milk-chan - I just didn't like this show, now I'm into the crazy Gainax stuff (in fact I loved Abenobashi and FLCL) but this series, just didn't make any sense, it's almost like the creators had a little too much to drink or had a little too much of something when they were writting this...

3) InuYasha - This show is the same thing week in and week out, as I said earlier on, I grow tired of these long running series, and while I do like the InuYasha movies and some of the characters, I think that Dragonball pretty much ruined any chance of me liking a lot of long running action series, but it's not just that...but it seems like there are only four formulas to an InuYasha episode...

a) they look for a shard, then fight a demon, end episode
b) they look for Naraku, then fight a demon, end episode
c) InuYasha and Kagome argue, Kagome tells him to sit then gets stuck up and runs back home, everyone blams InuYasha for her leaving and they pretty much force him to apologize, Kagome and InuYasha make up, end episode
d) the group runs into Kikyo, InuYasha refuses to fighter her, Kagome gets jealous and depressed, repeat step C for rest of the episode

2) Big O - I just can't get into this show, I've watched the series through and rewatched some episodes on several occassions and I just don't get it, the characters aren't all that great, the anime style is lacking, and the ending just left me more confused then the rest of the series

1) Tenchi in Tokyo - This is by far the worst Tenchi series ever made, and that's why it tops my list, the idea of Tenchi moving off and falling for some other girl just seems stupid, as if he was going to fall for a girl why not one of the original 5, but either way, the storyline in this show is just weak compaired to the other series and in addition they seem to ignore some of the minor characters and focus mainly on Tenchi, Ryoko, Sayuka, and Ayeka.
alanimefreak24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
ok since i did not explain on my picks i will repost it in all it form and splender (ill do best 5 and my worst 5 )Smile

ok best five first

5. Escaflowne - ok this show is border line for me beacuse i dislike robot animes (thats just me ) but since it had a alright story line and some non-robot fighting i watched it

4.Lain- this show i have to say was alright good story line good visual and audio effects but some times confused you on what was going on other than that i is a must see

3.Cowboy bebop - this is a good adaption of one culture trying to explain and mix a differant culture from past and future, the music track is nice and visual is great the story line is ok out of all 26 ep about 10 and of course the last 2 ep is all you really need to see to grasp the charactors roles in this anime oh and ed is my fav char heheeh

2.ok this one is a tie since i could not decide first
Full metal alchemist - at first this anime looks like your run of the mill made for 12 and up show but as the show goes on it takes a turn for a more dark and gritty turn with great visual's and a good story as well as indepth charactor background
the other show is
Inuyasha- ok i know some fans bash this show but it has a good story line great visual, sound the down side alot of the ep you could go with out

ok and my number 1 is ........

.hack// (all the series) - what i mean is the games and shows and oav's i like this show for it very indepth storytelling it massive char bios and how it not reduced to just 26 ep of the same char but spans over serval oav's anf games to give the full info on the world to me this is a must have anime

ok now for the worst

5.case closed - ok to me i dislike and this is me , big headed people with small bodys with what i call redone anime which means it been done before is not to my liking

4.Lupin the 3rd - once again i dislike anime with char that are way way over slapsticky in appearance and in there gesures i dont care if you have a good story line it wont make it any better now if they did this every now and then then mabey but as it stands no

3. Gundam - ok as i sayed earlyer i dislike robot animes and any animes that is nothing but robots so that just me what much can i say it a taste in anime i mean i grew up with transformers ok that was cool to me the giant robots saving the earth was done along time ago i just grew out of the robot thing

2.BIg o - ok another robot anime and is it just me or does this show look like the older batman anime series mabey it just me the only good about this show that i like is the opener music it rocks other than that nothing for me here

and the number 1

Dragon ball z - yes i said it dragon ball z it too long the story just drags no one dies and if they do they come back so what the point i will give it has alot of fighting and over done intros but other than that no for me

well there my post rip apart a much you like, i dont mind really Smile these are just my few cents on what i like Smile
Tasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
My Top 10

10. Fruits Basket: Very few anime can pull off a combination of comedy and drama (see Full Metal Panic or Trigun for more information). But Fruits Basket does just this. You’ll laugh. You may even cry. You’ll either hate Tohru or you’ll love her. But you will like Kyo. ‘Nuff said.

9. Great Teacher Onizuka: The animation sucks. “Driver’s High” is extremely catchy, but the only good song in the anime. So, yes, not much accolades can go to its aesthetics or soundtrack. But man, is Onizuka one hell of a character. I wish I had a teacher like that. But more importantly, GTO is bloody hilarious.

8. Voices of a Distant Star: Inuyasha and Naruto are both over 100 episodes. But yet, not once have either of those shows produced what I call “art.” Voices of a Distant Star runs at less than thirty minutes and puts Inuyasha, Naruto, and most movies and TV series longer than it, to utter shame.

7. The Vision of Escaflowne: Although definitely a pinnacle of its genre, it is still bested by 12K. And it happens to be one of my favorites. With the exception of the two leads (and perhaps Dilandau), the characters are shallow. Oh well. It also suffers from having a questionable ending. But despite that, though, it has an excellent plot. And how about that soundtrack, eh?

6. Twelve Kingdoms: It’s almost insulting that this is compared to Fushigi Yugi. Yes, the two shows have similar premises, but that is where the similarities lie (Thank God for that.). Twelve Kingdoms probably has the strongest character development I’ve witnessed in an anime. An epic and imaginative story and fully realized world makes Twelve Kingdoms the best in the fantasy genre.

5. Grave of the Fireflies: Although I prefer Barefoot Gen, this is still an excellent movie. And it’s Ghibli’s best film

4. Barefoot Gen: I like tragedies. I’m a sucker for them. However, unlike its Ghibli counterpart that appeared five years later, Barefoot Gen is much more than a tragedy. It’s not about despair, but hope in the midst of it.

3. Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence: As close to unadulterated perfection anime will ever achieve. Seriously. The only flaw this OVA has is the occasional awkwardness of the computer graphics. That’s saying something. And no, unlike what most seem to think, you don’t need to read a page of the manga or watch an episode of the TV series to appreciate its greatness. (It doesn’t exactly take Einstein to realize this is supreme.)

2. Berserk: Because anime villains are usually either cliché, wholly evil, or just plain yawn-inducing, I find myself not really giving a damn. Not only is Griffith the best character in this anime, but he’s the most complex and complicated villain to ever grace the anime scene. There has been no other like him. None. (Though Monster’s villain comes close) Guts and Caska are excellent characters, as well. It also has a fantastic story: Does man create his own fate is there some other entity calling the shots? Sure, anime like Escaflowne and X TV have touched on this issue, but not as prominently (or violently haha) as Berserk. Despite its terrible ending, Berserk is easily the most powerful anime I’ve seen. It also has the title of being the show that finally got me into anime.

1. Rose of Versailles: Considered to be the first shoujo, Rose of Versailles is the inspiration for titles such as Revolutionary Girl Utena and the more recent Maria-sama ga Miteru. Even after twenty-five years, Rose of Versailles manages to be heads and tales above other anime created much later. With an outstanding story and the most memorable female character of all time, Versailles is the best anime I’ve seen.

My Bottom 5

5. Kimi ga Nozumo Eien and Saikano: Since these two are very similar, I’ll just lump them together. Both are the worse romances I’ve seen. Both are contrived and manipulative. KNGE is nothing but an animated soap opera, the most clichéd genre of American media. Both are extremely unrealistic with exasperating characters. Saikano is terribly boring. Both have those male leads with the personality of a doorknob. And because of this, both are also extremely funny. This is not a good thing because neither are meant to be humorous. KNGE had awful comic relief. But it had two good things about it: Hayase (to an extent) and the ending. Saikano, however, has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

4. Perfect Blue: It’s unfortunate that this had to be the first movie I saw by Satoshi Kon. Until I watched Millennium Actress, Satoshi Kon was synonymous with “dung.” This movie would have been best as a live-action film. Unfortunately, Kon decides to draw an ultra-predictable and gratuitous story. In any case, I’ll rather be watching Basic Instinct.

3. 98% of harem (or "romantic comedies"), but I have a special loathing for Love Hina. Why a loser getting constantly beaten to a pulp by girls whose panties have a bigger IQ than they is so popular is beyond me.

2. End of Evangelion: It’s nothing but drivel. Even the director said so.

1. Crying Freeman and Odin: Photon Space Sailor Starlight: Crying Freeman is probably the worse OVA ever made. Odin is………just bad. VERY bad.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
alanimefreak24 wrote:
3. Gundam - ok as i sayed earlyer i dislike robot animes and any animes that is nothing but robots so that just me what much can i say it a taste in anime i mean i grew up with transformers ok that was cool to me the giant robots saving the earth was done along time ago i just grew out of the robot thing

"Nothing but robots?" What Gundam were you watching? Most of them (or at least most of the worthwhile ones) tend to place the mobile suits in the background and character development up front.

Anyway, for all the posting I do in here, I should probably post a Top Ten of my own, but I'm currently having trouble compiling one. Might think of something later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
alchemist2102

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
it always seems that the more you see the harder it is to pick out a list well heres mine
faves
wolf's rain-a real crazy story line that actually fit the characters really well, even if the ending wasnt what i expected i wouldnt have changed it at all

full metal alchemist-i love how the anger gets to ed an that his brother is a year younger than him an in a metal suit its crazy

saiyuki-sha is one of my faves of all time he's a kick ass water sprite

outlaw star-i really like the look of the ship an the way you fight in it as well as jean he's a pretty cool guy

flcl-even though its short it kept me in a good mood an kept me sayin "aw hell naw!"

samurai x-the swordsmanship of the pple is great

inyu yasha-its a good one because i like long rinning things an this ones pretty long

ah! my goddess-im not sure why but i like it maybe because it would be a pretty cool thing to get a wish be a goddess

cowboy bebop-this was my first an still me most fav spike an jet are a great duo an prolly some of tha coolest dudes ever

gundam wing-my first mech anime my fav is still deathscyth hell custom

now the dislikes
crest of the stars an banner of the stars-i really dont like how laffiel(sp?) act durring either of them

gost in the shell:stand alone complex-i jus dont like it not sure why

boogiepop phantom- never got into it even though it kept changinon me so it wouldnt really matter

yu gi oh-im jus not that big on the whole card thing

lupin the third-probably the only anime that i will change the channel during its jus really stupid in my eyes

thats it fer me
CaptainHarlock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
hmmm let's see here's my top 10 favorites of all time

10. Full metal Panic, The Story was something you could get into with the character's with the wacky zany way of life plus the military style too it. also, lacked alittle in creativity.

9. Memories, was one of the best Anime movies I have seen in 5 years with the indepth story and Animation too add to the
awesomely great perspective to the story. but some people wanted a English Dub too it I was not the one that wanted one but my friends wanted to see the dub.

8. Yu Yu Hakusho, Has some of the best fighting sequence's in Anime today considering it's 12 year's old and has character's with varrying personalty's. but The story lacked alittle and seem's like sterotyping was all over the series.

7. Rurouni Kenshin, The series was fresh and orginal with the story of Kenshin back in his man-slayer day's turn's into a wandder by day really. But the series seemed to go to silly to series into an instant might turn some away from it.

6. Mobile Suit Gundam, The idea is still fresh today with memorable mech's and the rivalries between Char and Amauro.
It feels like the series is incomplete to this day even with the movie "Char's Counter Attack,".

5.Big O, One of my favorites and one of the many Anime's that confuse people today with great Animation, story and characters. Some people my find the Mech's too silly for their taste and the series left some unsolved questions too some people.

4.New Fist of the North Star, Nicly done by ADV considering it's a 3 part OVA series with great budget with for the Animation and voice acting. The Dub might turn alot of people off and fighting can be repeative at times.

3. Cowboy Bebop, Great idea of Bounty hunters in space with the old western style and with characters that have a purpose.
But Silll it's really over-rated with the wave of fans wanting a second season too it.

2. Last Exile, Is one of the most graphicly acclaimed series of all time with great story with character's. It might not please the people looking for violence in this one it's pure 100% clean fun.

1. Lupinthe3rd, One of my Favorite's of alllll time with the story and Idea of the concept in the 1960's was fresh and still is too this day with the characters you can fall in love with at the same time. The ANimation style might scar away people looking for a Graphic Anime.

I have no intention of putting my least favorites and I have yet to hate an Anime for any reason's and I dont intend too.

But please I praise these Anime's and give little warnings too people who might start to watch them and not like them I still like them but I point out the flaw's with out hating them.

Here's some Anime's I did not get to I like Also,

Captain Harlock
Robotech
G Gundam
Inuyasha
Akira
Full Metal Alcehmist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 122