• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - New Moon Rising

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I've already got Sailor Moon in the mail, but I still need to read FMA and Eyeshield 21 soon. This is a good month for manga.
Darrenm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
I got my copy of The Book of Human Insects a while ago. This is honestly the first Vertical-published book I can remember seeing with proper editing! I'm usually really interested in the stuff they put out, but the way they leave speech-bubbles half full of unfinished thoughts, incomplete sentences and hanging words really makes most of their books unreadable. The most recent examples on my shelf that have suffered from this would be the 7 Billion Needles series, as well as the fairly new Velveteen & Mandala...which was really poorly written trash anyways but I want to say that's more of a problem with the source material than an awkward English translation. It would have been just as hard to read had the speech bubbles been done properly, I think. The amazing cover made this one an impulse buy for me, definitely regretting that purchase.

I'd like to find out why they do this - I've never seen another company taint great books with such poorly crafted text. The very constant mid-sentence interruptions lead to a very jarring and unengaging reading experience.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
One more and Fullmetal ends! No! Will we get a xxxHolic review next week? Still, I don't know what ANN reviewers will say about the series' finale...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Waiting for my order of Sailor Moon to come within a few days (hopefully it'll come before AWAcon on Saturday so I can discuss with fellow fans), and Book of Human Insects came today. The latter is the one that I noticed something rather interesting about. It only came out a week ago, yet Amazon has ceased to sell it directly from their shipping headquarters. Was the book printed in such limited quantities that it's already gone the way of "Swallowing the Earth" (which I was lucky to snag a copy of before it reached ludicrous prices)?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
One more and Fullmetal ends! No! Will we get a xxxHolic review next week? Still, I don't know what ANN reviewers will say about the series' finale...
I got FMA 26 yesterday, and when I saw the notice about the next volume being the last, I got really emotional :'( I've been reading it since I was eleven...
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I got excited when I saw that the Reader's choice was You're Under Arrest; I didn't realize there was a manga. Then I read more and found out it was more like a Best Of, which made me sad again. I wanted to watch the anime, but Netflix is missing the first disc. And then I briefly got excited because I could get the manga instead, but that doesn't seem to be the case. A full omnibus release (7 volumes is pretty short, that's only 3 volumes for an omnibus) would be appreciated.

Re: Library War v. 6, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I like the silly love story.

I'm so glad I gave Eyeshield 21 a try. That gave me some literal LOL moments. I feel it probably could've ended at v. 34 (I think that's the right volume...) though; this ending seems sort of tacked on. Still, I don't mind too much, I like spending time with the Devil Bats. Smile
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I got excited when I saw that the Reader's choice was You're Under Arrest; I didn't realize there was a manga. Then I read more and found out it was more like a Best Of, which made me sad again. I wanted to watch the anime, but Netflix is missing the first disc.

If you want, you can still watch the series on The Anime Network.com. While the first episode's free, you'd just have to subscribe to watch the rest of it.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
...and Book of Human Insects came today. The latter is the one that I noticed something rather interesting about. It only came out a week ago, yet Amazon has ceased to sell it directly from their shipping headquarters. Was the book printed in such limited quantities that it's already gone the way of "Swallowing the Earth"?

About "Human Insects" and Amazon...
This is actually a problem on Amazon's side. They have more than 1000 copies in their warehouses but due to some inventory control issues on their part they are not shipping books or taking orders.

Books are available through traditional retail sources, such as Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Diamond and other retailers. And we will also have copies available for sale at AWA this weekend. Though as its my first time selling there, I will only bring a limited quantity of all books. (All books will be on sale at a discount.)

Please be assured that this along with all of our manga will remain in print (in one form or another) and we do not have any manga titles out of print at this time.

[note: hardcovers are generally limited editions and only get 1 or 2 printings before they are converted to paperbacks]
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was in the underwhelmed camp on Sailor Moon, too, but I'll give the second volume and V a shot before deciding whether or not to continue it. SM's cute for what it is, but wow is it cheesy. Though I guess when your turf's been crowded out by emo vampires, werewolves and "liberated" sluts-er, superheroines, I guess I could understand the appeal of a series where the focus is on "normal" human girls just having adventures again.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely pre-ordering FMA 26. Cannot wait to own the whole series.

I have to respectfully disagree with some of the assessment of Library Wars 6, since I agree it strayed a great deal from the original set-up and arguably the "blood and guts" of what makes its story so compelling (i.e. the freedom of information/speech and its suppression/censorship), I still found the romance in this volume lovely and the character building for Shibazaki was a surprising treat.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Oh! Eyeshield! Is it the last one? It's so much fun and the art is so good I don't care that it's so ridiculous Anime hyper (or maybe...I actually really like how ridiculous it is XP)

Ahhhh Fullmetal Alchemist is almost over...soon I will no longer have to shield myself from ze spoilers ^__^
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I got FMA 26 yesterday, and when I saw the notice about the next volume being the last, I got really emotional :'( I've been reading it since I was eleven...

I know what you mean. I haven't gotten the book yet, but I watched the last episode of FMA:B last Saturday and I just teared up realizing that FMA's over. I've been watching it on AS since I was around 11-12 too :')
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1