• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: 10 out of 10

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Wow... *Joking*'I hope Ms. Answerman unlicenses Naruto'.

I mean WTF? That letter is rather ridiculous, are all fans of that show like that?
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Heh, that letter lost all credibility the minute I saw the letter "u" being used as a replacement for the word "you." I think Rebecca should enforce a rule requiring the knowledge of at least a second-grade grammar level before writing to the Ms. Answerman column. Wink

And I love it when people write statements and add a question mark at the end for no apparent reason?

Another great column!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a recent example of sub-only media, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was released sans-dub. I have no clue how the sales were for that title, but I’m guessing that if the numbers were low, it was mostly due to the state of the subtitles and not the presence of a Japanese-only track.

From a few sources I know, the Video and Bookstore Chains have got ALOT of GITS2:I backstock that is being returned. One store sent back 50 copies out of an initial 52 copy shipment. And this was one of the chains high-traffic stores BTW.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
If it weren't for the fact I've actaully met people that dumb, I would swear that the last post was fake. It's just amazing how incredibly stupid some people are.

I mean really! Thinking ANN licences anime? Come on!
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Quote:
As a recent example of sub-only media, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was released sans-dub. I have no clue how the sales were for that title, but I’m guessing that if the numbers were low, it was mostly due to the state of the subtitles and not the presence of a Japanese-only track.

From a few sources I know, the Video and Bookstore Chains have got ALOT of GITS2:I backstock that is being returned. One store sent back 50 copies out of an initial 52 copy shipment. And this was one of the chains high-traffic stores BTW.
could also be do to the close captioned subtitles they did fix that in the second printing irc thu.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
Well, thanks for answering my query, first of all.

Second, you can't blame people for wanting more Scrapped Princess. It's such an awesome show, you can't help but want more, even though there was a solid ending. It's funny that you compared the question to the Matrix, since a bunch of people I know think Scrapped is the anime version of the Matrix. (Animatrix nonwithstanding)

Third, I may ask another one, not for my own edification, but for everybody elses.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
could also be do to the close captioned subtitles they did fix that in the second printing irc thu.

Yeah, my mom and I watched it and it had those subs on it (she rents through NetFlix). I was searching high and low to turn off the "[noise and chatter]" subs, but to no avail. And considering how wordy Innocence was/is, a sub-only release seems like kind of a bad idea. Too much text to read or text covering up some of the visuals. Good movie, otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:34 am Reply with quote
You have to love our fellow anime fans when they ask if they love Dragon Ball Z or not.
I'm very happy that Ms. Answerman also hates Sanji's English voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I think Rebecca should enforce a rule requiring the knowledge of at least a second-grade grammar level before writing to the Ms. Answerman column.

Rebecca actually mentioned something similar to that in the "Great Online Petition" edition of Ms. Answerman:

Quote:
It’s my genuine hope that the quality of online communication improve to the point where I don’t receive letters that are riddled with basic spelling and grammar mistakes, where people sit down at their computers and take a minute to think about what they type. Until such a miracle happens, I will continue to poke at flaws, make jokes, and insult and amuse readers in a single bound. I will also include extra information when it applies in the hopes that everyone will find a little something in this column that they can enjoy.

As for Scrapped Princess, I'm very anxious to watch this series when it comes out April 26. I read the episode guide in Anime Insider #20 (which Rebecca wrote, BTW Wink ), and it does sound very interesting.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
It pains me that some people take pride in portraying themselves as barely functioning retards by writing like that.

Ms. Answerman shouldn't even dignify those "letters" with a response.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
Wow. They're really coming out of the woodwork this week. Some of these letters make me lose faith in humanity, nevermind just anime fans. Wow. How can fans of something have their head so far up their butt and not have any clue how their beloved things work. I know the business can be compled and usually some uninformed letters are understandable, but this week.. wow.. there are some really really really clueless people.

Not even just those last two, who I think live on a cave on the moon and only download fansubs off DC++ or something. You can tell by the poor lunar grammar and capitalization and spelling. They have poor schools in those moon caves. Even people who have English as a second language speak better than that.

Another letter blames dubbing for the edits to One Piece. They make a generization on all dubs. I see One Piece as a, exception, a huge step back in the evolution of subs and anime releases. I think One Piece is worse than the edits and dub on DBZ. My roomate who got us all hooked on One Piece, and has gone to cons as a great Luffy, has been watching the 4kids version as a masochistic ritual to see just how bad tings can get. Yes, Sanji's voice is an abomination. Nothing against the actor, but it's got to be the worst mistcating I've ever heard. Wow. Sanji had a bit of a prettyboy voice, so of course they give him the voice of a gruff deep voiced guy from Booklyn. W.. T..F.. ? Oh and we painfully joke aobut the line, "Zolo, time to golo." Ugh. It works better for me because 'golo' means ass in Greek. That's what this 4kids version (not just dub, but dub included) of One Piece is, a huge pile of ass.

Also, how can people go to ANN and still be asking about stuff like the GitS 2 subs which have been decently covered.

Anyway, other questions were pretty goodm, but I can only imagine what stupid questions Ms Answerman has to sift through each week that we don't see. Dunno how she does it.

exorcising demons of stupidity for the Madegetine order,
-Xenos
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
man, u people are messed up for liscencing naruto, u threw away all the hope for people, that look forward to it everyweek, and that 30 mins is the best 30 mins of the week, now your company is gonna release it slow, probably with a high price, when can you learn, people arent gonna buy the dvd, we all freakn asain/white internet freaks. and the reason why people wont buy the dvd is because it release very very freaking slow, people want to be updated with the anime everyweek, and mostly the price is gonna be very expensive...soon or later you people gonna lose alot of money...stop teh stupidity and unliscensed this anime, and everything i said it true, look at wut happened to "ONE PIECE".......!!!

WTF? Did this individual go to school on the short rickshaw? I really hope this was a joke! If it isn't, my heart goes out to the Naruto fan community for this major embarrassment.

I share your pain, folks. Boy, do I ever share your pain ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
sad thing is I have met people that are that dumb as the guy in the Naruto one.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
It pains me that some people take pride in portraying themselves as barely functioning retards by writing like that. Ms. Answerman shouldn't even dignify those "letters" with a response.

Oh, come on. Ridicule is the one useful thing these people are good for! Otherwise they'd be a COMPLETE waste of air.

They call 'em Narutards for a reason.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
An addition to my prior post: I checked the Contact Anime News Network section, and there is a rule pertaining to how you should write e-mails:

Quote:
One last comment about getting us to read your e-mail. If you aren't willing to spend the time to write us a proper e-mail (you know, capitals, punctuation and semi-proper spelling), we aren't willing to spend the time deciphering it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4