• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Close its Online Store in December

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Total flashback to 13 years ago, when I was on the AnimeVillage.com forum (the original version of the Bandai online store) bemoaning the lack of Laserdisc releases.

RIP AnimeVillage.com, 1998-2011.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a short-lived endeavor wasn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Given Bandai Ent.'s problems this is the least shocking news ever. It was cheaper to simply buy anime elsewhere.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
On the flip side, Haruhi Suzumiya S2 is pretty darn cheap on their store now. Maybe Ill finally get it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope whatever troubles Bandai Entertainment may be having won't affect my chances of getting a domestic release of K-On!! (season 2, for those of you who missed the double exclamation points) on Blu-Ray (yeah, I know they haven't officially announced it yet, but I presume they will at some point in December, which is the time of year they tend to announce things).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cche7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Shame, I liked ordering from their store than trying to buy their titles at conventions. I can't speak for everyone, but some of those people they have working at the booth are the rudest S.O.B. I ever met. Their preorder sales however were reasonably priced. At least there's Amazon.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I hope whatever troubles Bandai Entertainment may be having won't affect my chances of getting a domestic release of K-On!! (season 2, for those of you who missed the double exclamation points) on Blu-Ray (yeah, I know they haven't officially announced it yet, but I presume they will at some point in December, which is the time of year they tend to announce things).

K-On! was one of Banda Entertainment'most popular anime (along with Haruhi) so I don't see any chance of K-On!! not being released.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, nothing to fret about I suppose.

It's not like it's the first phase of Namco Bandai shutting down Bandai Entertainment or anything.

Hmm, maybe Bandai will open a new "store" at Rightstuf.com. Smile
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
It's not like it's the first phase of Namco Bandai shutting down Bandai Entertainment or anything.

That thought jus ran a major chill down my spine >_>
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
On the flip side, Haruhi Suzumiya S2 is pretty darn cheap on their store now. Maybe Ill finally get it.

$25 for 5 episodes isn't considered cheap.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Ha!
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Although I usually buy Anime DVDs at the physical store, I find it's disappointing that Bandai Ent. is shutting down its own online shop, but like the article says, at least Bandai Ent. products will still be sold at other online shops, which is good as some workers who are into anime may have trouble finding time to make anime merchandise purchases they want to make at stores because of their busy schedules.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Well, that was a short-lived endeavor wasn't it?

How long was it even open? 1 year? 2 years? Short is all I know, since I remember it when it first opened and it doesn't feel that long ago at all...
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Comparing the original price in Japan, and comparing what price DVDs of anime used to be in around 2005, the current prices by Bandai are really good.

And Haruhi S2 is $26 for about 13 episodes. That's about $2 per episode.
The Disappearance of... is $28 for about five episodes, but that's on Blu-ray and is from HD renders.

Unlike Funimation, Bandai actually uses the HD renders for their Blu-ray packages. Funimation just upscales them. The upscales look good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have as much of the color variety, minute details, and other things like that.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just a case where Bandai Entertainment finds it easier to sell anime DVD/Blu-ray discs through Amazon.com, RightStuf.com, Animenation.com or other online retailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3