• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Walking Man

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Well,a lot of the manga I've encountered are these immensely bizarre fantasy stuff. I don't know how to feel about this. I've never read it so I've got no real idea on what to say about it. Maybe I'll run into it someday. I don't know. Maybe I'll tell you guys what I think of it when I do.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This is among my favorite manga released in English. It has been for a very long time, and every time I try to describe it to someone, they very, very quickly lose interest. I will grant them this - a manga about a man walking around and experiencing his surroundings is not something for everyone. It is not even something for a majority.

But by god, if this book gets into you, you are doomed. And a better person for it.

I will now go and actually read this article, as I was more excited about the fact that this title was getting written about than I was about reading the article. Hence this post.

Good on ya.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Lion in Winter

Did you mean A Zoo on Winter? Or did Taniguchi write a story about secession to the English throne while I wasn't looking. I'll have to write my thoughts on the article later when I'm not in the car.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed A Distant Neighborhood and A Zoo in Winter If this was in print (or at a reasonable price used) I would definitely get it. I was really impressed with Taniguchi's work.

(I also get a kick out of the fact that he is revered in The Elegance of the Hedgehog.)
nottimkai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I really enjoyed A Distant Neighborhood and A Zoo in Winter If this was in print (or at a reasonable price used) I would definitely get it. I was really impressed with Taniguchi's work.

(I also get a kick out of the fact that he is revered in The Elegance of the Hedgehog.)

I think I would have loved A Zoo in Winter. However, it is one of a few English Language books where I have been aware enough about how this works to realize that the translation was used verbatim, and that it really didn't flow well. Didn't help at all that the book was plagued with spelling errors and flipped/mismatched word balloons. It is a gorgeous hardcover book, but damn, damn, damn, was the localization frustrating.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Quote:
A Lion in Winter

Did you mean A Zoo on Winter? Or did Taniguchi write a story about secession to the English throne while I wasn't looking. I'll have to write my thoughts on the article later when I'm not in the car.

*urk* -_-;; Well, I said winter was a time for taking it easy, and apparently that includes mixing up the names of manga. Yes, A Zoo in Winter is the one. It's sort of a mangaka bildungsroman set in the '60s-70s, approximately the same time as "A Drifting Life," but frankly much more sympathetic and emotional. Despite what nottimkai said (hi nottimkai), the translation didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the book, for me at least.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
There was a manga this Taniguchi guy did earlier that was mentioned in the article called "Benkei in New York." I had to admit that caught my attention. I admit I never read but from what I found out about it,it's about this Japanese expatriate that works for the mob. Again,I don't have a whole lot of information on it so if anyone knows anything about it,would they please tell me about it? I'd like to have a little more info on this please.
simside

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, The Walking Man is my favorite of Jiro Taniguchi's work. It's such a beautiful book, and in addition to being wonderfully meditative, it really is the best showcase of his artistic strengths. I'm quite fond of Hotel Harbor View, too. That one looked more like a movie than any other manga I've seen, I think, plus it had my favorite of Taniguchi's character art in it.

I always let Fanfare releases pass under my radar. They're not hard to keep track of, since they only come out a few times a year, but still, I don't think to check that often. I really need to pick up A Zoo in Winter and A Distant Neighborhood.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
If this was in print (or at a reasonable price used) I would definitely get it. I was really impressed with Taniguchi's work.

I didn't realize that this had gone out of print or that it was selling for so much. I'm glad I picked it up when I did. Thankfully, it looks like Hotel Harbour View and Benkei in New York can still be picked up on the second-hand market for decent prices.

It's been awhile since I've read it and this article is prompting me to read it again. It's a very relaxing manga. My favorite of his works that I've read would have to be the last story in The Ice Wanderer for personal reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1