• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's N. American Arrietty BD to Have U.S. & U.K. Dubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Sweet. I was hoping they would include both dubs. I wanted to compare the two and see how different they were.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
With this news, my decision to buy this went from Absolute to Super-Duper Double Absolute. Man, you can't get much more absolute than that. Loved the American dub and very eager to hear the UK version.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
I was sure that having all versions of dub available in certain language is a standard Confused
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I cannot wait to get my hands on this. Very eager to hear both dubs. I was hoping they'd go this route. Now, when is it going to be released? I thought I'd heard a rumor about it being in June of this year.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Oh man, now I feel silly for going to all that trouble to import the UK version.

Now, this says BD, but will the DVD versions also have this? I'd love to see Poppy Hill...
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Good news, but it's funny that the US Blu-ray reportedly has no extras. The UK Blu-ray released in January (under the title 'Arrietty') by StudioCanal featured a 40-minute interview with Yonebayashi and a 23-minute interview with Miyazaki. The U.K. Blu-ray only had the British version of the dub, of course (and the original Japanese).
toru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Walt Disney Studio Japan has announced North American edition BD for Japanese market as Ghibli ga ippai collection series. Different BD edition will be released in US.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/517/087/html/wd09.jpg.html
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Cool, so I can fanboy over "Arriety" AND over Saoirse Ronan, who plays the titular character in the film ;D
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
What region is that BD?
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This must be the best move i have ever seen Disney make. Giving viewers the choice to watch a movie in a dub they were not responsible for. By default the British dub is the correct choice, even if its set in Japan and it doesn't really matter which one you choose, but its such a good dub it shouldn't be ignored, and Disney realize this. They didn't have to include it, they could have been stubborn and forced America to watch a dub even they knew was inferior. But they didn't. This is high praise indeed for the UK team!

P.S. I would be genuinely interested if anyone prefers the US dub to the UK dub.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
What region is that BD?

A/1

Which covers the Americas (except Greenland), and their dependencies, East Asia (except mainland China and Mongolia), and Southeast Asia.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I wanted to hear the UK dub and the Japanese track. Will definitely be picking this up.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
If the US edition of the DVD includes both dubs, it will definately be worth the purchase despite the lack of extras. Would also save me the trouble of importing the UK disc to just hear that other dub!
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this in the theater the other day I left curious to hear what a UK dub would sound like (then found out that there was one). Considering the English-ness of the source material (c.f. the fact that the whole "human bean" thing doesn't really make sense when spoken with an American accent) it seems only logical. Also, the US dub's attempts at Americanizing the script came off as incredibly awkward and forced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
This must be the best move i have ever seen Disney make. Giving viewers the choice to watch a movie in a dub they were not responsible for. By default the British dub is the correct choice, even if its set in Japan and it doesn't really matter which one you choose, but its such a good dub it shouldn't be ignored, and Disney realize this. They didn't have to include it, they could have been stubborn and forced America to watch a dub even they knew was inferior. But they didn't. This is high praise indeed for the UK team!

P.S. I would be genuinely interested if anyone prefers the US dub to the UK dub.

Right....

That said, I wonder if this is in fact a BD only exclusive since nothing was mentioned about whether the DVD will have both English language dubs. I guess, more information will be released later about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3