• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Reason TRSI Packages Are Opened by Canada Customs Revealed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It's so funny that just recently a number of us Canadian TRSI customers were talking about how our TRSI packages always get opened by Canada Customs. We know this because when the package arrives, it almost always has the distinctive yellow Canada Customs tape, showing where the package was opened and then re-sealed. I think I have stumbled onto the answer in this ANN article:

Canada Bans Imports of Cool Devices, Words-Worth

Quote:
The Canada Border Services Agency has ruled in a October-December 2007 list (released this month) that the American re-releases of the hentai anime series Cool Devices and Words Worth (pictured at right) qualify as obscene under subsection 163(8) of Canada's Criminal Code. Thus, these titles may not be legally brought into the country. Critical Mass Video, the adult label of Right Stuf Entertainment, brought out the Cool Devices: The DVD Collection with all 11 episodes of the series last September. It was previously available on VHS from NuTech Digital. Words Worth was also originally licensed by NuTech; Media Blasters' adult-oriented Kitty Media division released the entire series on a single DVD on July 17.

Other prohibited titles on the list include Eros Comix's Domin-8 Me!, Eros Comix's Sex Warrior Isane Extreme Number 22 and 23, Eros Comix's Super Taboo XXX, Icarus Publishing's Juicy Fruits, NuTech's Five Card Episode 2 and 3, Kitty Media's G-spot Express, JapanAnime's Hot Juicy Teacher, NuTech's Inma Seiden - The Legend of the Beast of Lust Episode 2 and 3, NuTech's Mija "Demon of Lust" Volume 2, Kitty Media's Elufina - Servant Princess, NuTech's Bizarre Cage Act 2, NuTech's Black Mail Volume 2, and Critical Mass Video's Venus Files.

The agency did rule about 15 Eros Comix titles, Central Park Media's Dominion Tank Police 1 and 2, NuTech's Imma Youjo: The Erotic Temptress Volumes I and III, JapanAnime's Legend of the Black Eye - Kokudohoh, NuTech's Kowaremono: Fragile Hearts Heaven 1 and 2, NuTech's Bizarre Cage Act 3, Kitty Media's The Hills Have Size, Anime 18's Venus 5, and Pink Pineapple's Welcome to Pia Carrot 2 as "admissible."

Criminal Code Subsection 163(8) reads: "For the purposes of this Act, any publication a dominant characteristic of which is the undue exploitation of sex, or of sex and any one or more of the following subjects, namely, crime, horror, cruelty and violence, shall be deemed to be obscene."

Because TRSI is affiliated with Critical Mass Video which released Cool Devices, I bet you any money, CC automatically opens any TRSI package to make sure there isn't a copy of Cool Devices in it.

Isn't that the stupidest effing thing you've ever heard???
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Not cool Canada. Not flipping cool.

The word 'flipping' is also not cool, so I'm going to cut that out, just like Canada should cut these ridiculously intrusive and paternalistic regulations.

How is a country where Rick Santorum is considered a viable Presidential candidate the less morally authoritarian half of this equation?

Blood- wrote:

Wow, you really haven't been paying attention to the United States Presidential election.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
And the saddest thing in all that.... you're probably right. I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but it's quite possible that TRSI is listed somewhere as an online retailer they MUST double-check, just to make sure Cool Devices doesn't taint our Canadian youth...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, let's see in January, 2006, the Conservative Party - our version of the Tea Party Lite - forms a minority government in Canada. A little under a year later, Canada Customs bans Cool Devices. Coinky-dink? One rather thinks not. This is so unbelievably bush league. I'm agog.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
For a minute there I thought Blood- had too much free time on his hands and came up with this crazy explanation, and then I realized the link went to a real news article. Well at least you guys know now....
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait Dominion Tank Police was under scrutiny in Canada? WTF?

What was it in the show that could be considered bad in Canada? I remember watching the show as a kid, but don't remember much of it besides it was entertaining.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, you can still buy the unrated A Serbian Film, Faces of Death, and The Aristocrats off Amazon Canada. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly possible that Rightstuf is on some kind of watch list because of their affiliation with certain adult titles.

Blood- wrote:
Hmm, let's see in January, 2006, the Conservative Party - our version of the Tea Party Lite - forms a minority government in Canada. A little under a year later, Canada Customs bans Cool Devices. Coinky-dink? One rather thinks not. This is so unbelievably bush league. I'm agog.

Do you think maybe you're being a bit paranoid here? Obscenity laws in Canada are nothing new. And honestly, as much of a tool as Harper may be, comparing him to American Tea Party conservatives is seriously over-dramatic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

What was it in the show that could be considered bad in Canada? I remember watching the show as a kid, but don't remember much of it besides it was entertaining.

It says quite clearly that Dominion Tank Police is fine.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
superdry wrote:

It says quite clearly that Dominion Tank Police is fine.

That's why I said "was under scrutiny" since the quoted article listed it being fine, which means it was being looked at before being deemed fine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
It's because of Dominion Tank Police that I stumbled across the article. I finished watching it last night (pretty bad actually, but as a relic/curio from the 80s ova era, it has a certain viewing value) and I went to the ANN encyclopedia page to see more information on it. As most people know, ANN encyclopedia pages have links to related ANN articles at the bottom of the page. The headline Canada Bans Imports... certainly caught my eye. The headline also popped because I noticed yesterday (before seeing the article) that TRSI was offering a re-release of Cool Devices. I was even thinking of ordering it - I guess not! Until reading this article, I don't believe I knew that Critical Mass Video was the hentai arm of Nozomi/Right Stuf.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Canada no longer has the privilege of being able to surprise me with its legislation.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Canada no longer has the privilege of being able to surprise me with its legislation.

Didn't you know they are doin it to protect us and prevent terrorism. Sad thing is I'm not even joking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's certainly possible that Rightstuf is on some kind of watch list because of their affiliation with certain adult titles.

Blood- wrote:

Do you think maybe you're being a bit paranoid here? Obscenity laws in Canada are nothing new. And honestly, as much of a tool as Harper may be, comparing him to American Tea Party conservatives is seriously over-dramatic.

Well, my linking of the Tory minority government arrival and the ban a year later was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I can see why'd you assume I was being deadly serious. As for Harper being Tea Party Lite (note the Lite reference?), I think it's a totally fair comparison. I think if you sat Harper down with a Tea Partier, they'd have a ton in common with respect to their idea of what the role of government is, on religious matters, on abortion rights, on immigration, etc. etc. Keep in mind that although Harper is basically evil, he is not stupid. He knows there are certain things that cannot be said up here like they can be down South. That doesn't make him moderate ... it simply demonstrates that he has a certain level of cunning.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Doesn't Canadian customs require packages to list their contents? Searching every package from RightStuf seems a little overdramatic(I don't think even Ricky - either one of them - would go that far).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3