• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Damnable Demagoguery

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind another giants series although I may sense one coming in the form of Code: Breakers soon although the current system is fine with me of 12-13 episode series. I also like how they are splitting some of the series into two parts to air into different seasons (ex. Rinne no Lagrange, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Jormungand, etc) and tries to leave us off with a cliffhanger at the very end to keep the viewers from dropping the series. (worked for me at least)

As for the Toonami topic, it definitely sparked nostologia in me as I've used to watch some of the series when I got back from school during my childhood days. I'm not sure if I'll watch the dubbed version of Deadman Wonderland though as I've watched the subbed version before and was satisfied with it. Might even give the OVA a try soon tbh.

Anyways, thanks Answersman for a good start to this month and Friday from this latest read :>

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
A new Answerman, my favorite time of the week!

The only thing I want to comment on this week is the episode counts. I'm actually a big fan of the current system, since I feel that anything past 2 cour drags on far too long. Plus, so much anime these days doesn't really have a big overarching story, so 12 episodes of slice of life is more than enough.

There will always be those long kids and shonen battle stuff that will go on a long time... Toriko is pretty much guaranteed to be that next 250+ episode show (though Fairy Tail might be able to stick around that long), but those are a rarity. Plus another reason I don't like them as much: They can't kill off characters or make meaningful changes to the story without worrying about character popularity. You're not gonna kill off a popular character to help advance the story since you need to keep those characters around for the long haul, but you don't need to worry about this in other series.

In before this turns into a giant homosexuality debate!
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind more light-hearted fair on Toonami, but it cannot be ruled by nostalgia. I understand the feeling of wanting things to be just they way they were, but that's not going to get us anywhere, and it's not going to help get new viewers. Toonami has to move forward.

I also think that it should stick to Saturday nights. It was proven that Toonami could no longer survive in the afternoons, and that's fine. I always used to wonder by Adult Swim didn't just brand their anime block as Toonami.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

There will always be those long kids and shonen battle stuff that will go on a long time... Toriko is pretty much guaranteed to be that next 250+ episode show (though Fairy Tail might be able to stick around that long), but those are a rarity. Plus another reason I don't like them as much: They can't kill off characters or make meaningful changes to the story without worrying about character popularity. You're not gonna kill off a popular character to help advance the story since you need to keep those characters around for the long haul, but you don't need to worry about this in other series.

But what about shows like Gunslinger Girl? That anime was treated unfairly in terms of episode count & seasons. The animation is different between the two seasons & there's still more source material (manga) left.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

But what about shows like Gunslinger Girl? That anime was treated unfairly in terms of episode count & seasons. The animation is different between the two seasons & there's still more source material (manga) left.

With something like Gunslinger Girls - the question is does it still make monetary sense to produce another season? I don't know the sales off the top of my head, but maybe the home media sales weren't great. Is the manga still selling decently? Did the anime do a decent job in help increase sales of the original source? Same goes with any anime adaptation.

I like how anime nowadays is mostly 1-cour and some 2-cour. It makes sense considering lots of show are adaptations. With light novels and manga, it's usually ongoing and there is only so much material to go through unless you just want to burn through it or add anime original storylines.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

It wasn't treated unfairly because the show sold terrible.

http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/GUNSLINGER%20GIRL?sid=64d778040154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191

It averaged less than 2k sales a volume, so its to be expected that they wouldn't continue it. This is a business after all... it makes little sense to continue to produce something that loses you money.
Rebmastu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite. How did Answerman (or Brian in general) go viral, for those of us who don't spend every living moment on the interbutts? (I don't, really. Just every other moment. Hah.) That and my google-fu is weak.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
My heart goes out to all the fujoshi who find that American companies turn their noses up at licensing their favorite titles. Yaoi is understandably not my thing, but that doesn't mean I like to see my fellow anime fans artificially marginalized by the American market.

All I can suggest is: yaoi fans, write to anime companies and tell them about the series you're interested in spending money on. Tell your friends to do it too. Anime licensing is a business, and money talks. If enough of you express an interest, they'll be looking into how you can be one of their customers.

It probably doesn't help that the one anime licenser that took yaoi seriously, MediaBlasters, is hovering in a place between life and death right now. A number of companies probably saw that and took it as a sign that yaoi isn't worth licensing. Then again, I'm not convinced that it was Media Blaster's titles that were the problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
smashwagon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
The first point has nothing to do with anime, it is really purely film criticism. I agree that the beancounters in Hollywood have ruined many productions and many miscasts, rewrites, source material ruining, crappy computer graphics when none are needed.... all these things will continue to happen in the U.S. and will happen in the Japanese film market and Italian market and Indian market and so on. Idealy there would never be any casting of people playing a race that they are not. There was never any need for Mickey Rooney to play a Japanese man or Charlton Heston to play a Mexican either. Part of this comes from the audience as well, as they keep seeing movies with certain people they know in key roles, despite the fact that the chance of escapism is actually lowered by this. This has led to actors names appearing before the writer and director and cinematographer and set designers, all of which often have more to do with the enjoyment of the film. If an actor is recognizable from movie to movie then they are not a good enough actor and should be not used again, but that is not how the industry works. So instead we get Anne Hathaway trying to speak with a British accent and other such blunders.

That does not say much about the Japanese film industry, because I don't know much about it. I imagine the same thing applies though, they cast recognizable popular people in their movies instead of obscure or foreign people who would fit the role better.

While I am not a Yaoi fan being a straight man, I think there should be more of it available to buy for those who love it. I did enjoy the Antique Bakery show that Nozomi put out, and I don't see why high quality releases can't see the light of day (at least a decent dvd offering)

I actually like the shorter length of shows which is more prevelent now. I always used to be intimidated by long shows, mainly because I knew how much it was going to cost me to buy it all, if I happened to enjoy it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Re: Racial casting.

There's a big difference between the American and Japanese reasoning for casting choices. One, America HAS Asians/Blacks/Hispanics/etc at their disposal, they just choose not to use them out of fear of "if you have a black main character, people will see this as a 'black movie' and only black people will go see it" and so on. Cartoons especially have to default to 'white male' in order to maximize profit (and no, a one off show like My Little Pony does not change this)

Japan not casting an actual Roman for the role has nothing to do with racism or "well, I don't think it would sell if we have a non-Japanese actor as the lead role". After all, they air American and other foreign movies in their theaters all the time. They wouldn't exactly air Thor or Batman if they were racist against whities. Not to mention Japan is 99% Japanese, so they can't pull a Roman out of their butt as easily as America can.

It's worth noting last week on Kamen Rider Fourze featured a half-American/Japanese girl, and her father was America (played by an actual white guy). So when it's relevant they can cast it.

So basically, Japan and America are coming from two different sides of the road when it comes to this practice. Because when America does it, you know instantly it's a pigheaded marketing decision or racism. I mean, now many non-English foriegn films get a wide release in theaters to begin with?

===

My preferred episode count is 52 or 'ongoing'.

I usually feel 13 episodes is a bit too short to become truly invested into something, so it's usually just a quick enjoyment but then you never really bother with it again unless you want a quick nostalgia trip in a few years.

26 is the minimum I feel you can tell a really good, fleshed out story.

52 is the best I feel, because it'll have an ending, and enough episodes to do whatever you want. I actually prefer when shows have a few filler episodes here and there, they can be fun and show off the characters in more just than story episodes and get to know them more.

Ongoing is good as well, it just means you have a new adventure each week. Admittedly, theres a few 52 series I wish lasted longer.. like Danball Senki and Battle Spirits Shounen Toppa. I felt they could have done at least 200ish episodes easily (the average for a Yu-Gi-Oh and Pocket Monsters series)

===

Homophobia? In the manga industry? How silly. I'm sure Viz edited out all the homophobia in a lot of their titles because... uh... well, I'm sure they had a very good reason. It's definitely not because of "ew, guy implying they like other guys, hide this from the kiddies who buy our stuff so we can sell it more" That'd just be rude and underhanded... but yes, 'girl on girl' is a more accepted form of homosexuality to the public (re: males) than guy on guy is.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:46 am; edited 3 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Even though sex does sell, many of the boobie titles I like still don't get much in terms of sequel series even though their light novel sources might still be ongoing and that they might have sold reasonably well. The anime market can be really hard to understand sometimes in terms of what gets produced and what doesn't.

As for the all of the short form TV series these days, I attribute the rise in those shows to the decline in longer (4-6 episode) OVAs. OVAs are getting eating at both sides, the cheaper end are just being converted into 12 episode shows, and the more expensive productions are made into 50 minute individual films: Break Blade, Kara no Kyoukai, and Towa no Quon would have all be OVA series just a couple a years ago.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

It probably doesn't help that the one anime licenser that took yaoi seriously, MediaBlasters, is hovering in a place between life and death right now. A number of companies probably saw that and took it as a sign that yaoi isn't worth licensing. Then again, I'm not convinced that it was Media Blaster's titles that were the problem.

Don't forget Nozomi. They got 2 pretty big yaoi titles in their disposal.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even though sex does sell, many of the boobie titles I like still don't get much in terms of sequel series even though their light novel sources might still be ongoing and that they might have sold reasonably well. The anime market can be really hard to understand sometimes in terms of what gets produced and what doesn't.

From what I hear, the production committee that is trying to promote these properties typically will see far more of a boost to their series from 1 anime series than doing a 2nd one... so once you've got that one anime series out there, there isn't as much reason for them to foot the bill to get a 2nd, since most people who would be interested in it already know about it.

This is obviously something that doesn't help Westerners, since most of these series aren't even available to us, but thats how it is.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
French lesson of the day... Cour means court, like court of law. It can also refer to a courtyard or a garden. I think the word you're looking for is cours- meaning course or season.

Last edited by nursemcquade on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Since this is a topic near and dear to my heart, I just have to comment on the yaoi availability question and make two points.

First - you mention Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi not being available and no one wanting to take a risk on it, but what about Junjo Romantica? Based off of a manga by the same creator as Sekai Ichi, given two seasons of anime of its own, *and* both seasons were released on Region 1 by Right Stuf. And they sold fairly well from what I can tell.

That said, point #2 - it's not really accurate to compare Cat Planet Cuties and Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi (or Junjo for that matter) in terms of fanservice for their respective points. Sekai Ichi has *no* nudity scenes, no *attempted* nudity scenes, and the points when the characters do go off and get busy, it's done off screen. There is no equivalent of boob-flashing in Sekai Ichi, unless two grown men kissing and confessing their love to each other on numerous occasions counts as an equivalent. The same can be said for Junjo. Compared to the manga (which *is* quite graphic in its fanservice), the anime versions are *mild*.

I personally am in the corner of "less boobs, more tasteful romance stories", and I don't really care if they're heterosexual or homosexual. I'd love for more domestic releases along the lines of Gravitation or Junjo Romantica. And the market is out there. The market is *definitely* out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9