• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Urusei Yatsura Boxset 10 in January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Wow. It's still hard to believe that after so many years they're almost done. I just hope the rumors that Animeigo will be closing up shop with it aren't true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Wow. It's still hard to believe that after so many years they're almost done. I just hope the rumors that Animeigo will be closing up shop with it aren't true.
That's why they are coming out sub only. He can't wait to retire. But until these come out with a dub they can sit on the shelf. Wink
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
That's why they are coming out sub only. He can't wait to retire. But until these come out with a dub they can sit on the shelf. Wink
Unless he posted something on the site, or said something durning the interview on the extra disc, I won't count Woodhead out yet.

As for sub title only... short story is it takes too much money (tons of characters = tons of actors) and adds more to time to getting the DVDs out. That's why only the movies were dubbed. Besides, many people still fear dubbed Urusei Yatsura, myself included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
I hope you're right Ataru. Though small, Animeigo is still one of the highest quality distributors out there. It's just too bad that most of what they license doesn't really appeal to the mainstream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Unless he posted something on the site, or said something durning the interview on the extra disc, I won't count Woodhead out yet.

As for sub title only... short story is it takes too much money (tons of characters = tons of actors) and adds more to time to getting the DVDs out. That's why only the movies were dubbed. Besides, many people still fear dubbed Urusei Yatsura, myself included.
The only thing to fear is fear itself, besides this is 2006, not 1996. AnimEigo's days are numbered. with every new UY boxset release. When the last box set comes out that's when they finally close the lid on it's coffin.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The lid of it's coffin? What? Just because they don't dub a 200+ episode series with a cast of hundreds, you can't wait to see them die? That's pretty messed up. Who cares what year it is, anyway. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
The lid of it's coffin? What? Just because they don't dub a 200+ episode series with a cast of hundreds, you can't wait to see them die? That's pretty messed up. Who cares what year it is, anyway. Rolling Eyes
Well historically back in the days of VHS they allegedly dubbed an episode or two of UY, but the fans were so irritated by it that AnimEigo stopped dubbing anymore and just sold the subs (at a higher price. Wink) I can't find it here but I remember seeing an interview with AnimEigo's founder, who when asked what he will do when UY was finally finished, he quipped "I going to the great anime, (or OVA) in the sky" meaning he was closing up, or selling up the business, and retiring from it. When was the last time they announced they have picked up any new licenses but just releasing, or re- releasing their old catalogue?
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
They did, and it didn't go over very well. The series just has too many puns. They tried again with the films, and it worked. To dub the whole series though is practically begging for bankruptcy.

Regardless, I don't see why you're wishing death upon them. Licenses have gotten expensive over the years. Even ADV is supposedly in the red. Would you rather they license crap just for the sake of licensing?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

Regardless, I don't see why you're wishing death upon them. Licenses have gotten expensive over the years. Even ADV is supposedly in the red. Would you rather they license crap just for the sake of licensing?
If you read my post again I'm sure you will find I said no such thing but was inferring to what they themselves had said, and the apparent lack of any new acquisitions seems to bolster. Rolling Eyes
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Why do you think I add credence to the rumors? Rolling Eyes Though, Woodhead does have an odd sense of humor, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that quote.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The only thing to fear is fear itself, besides this is 2006, not 1996. AnimEigo's days are numbered. with every new UY boxset release. When the last box set comes out that's when they finally close the lid on it's coffin.
If I follow that logic, I would have paged CMP dead long ago.
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well historically back in the days of VHS they allegedly dubbed an episode or two of UY, but the fans were so irritated by it that AnimEigo stopped dubbing anymore and just sold the subs (at a higher price. Wink)
I remember telling Anime Newcomer a few days ago about far wrost dubs. This is one of them. It sounded like they grab people from around the office. Heck, if I dig around for it, I can find it, which I bought on Band Trip for $5.

But the reason why they didn't just go and dubbed the rest, is the same reason behind the dubbing of Movie 1. If people liked, they dub the rest of the movies and maybe the OVAs. Since people hated the dub they did of first 2 ep., that why they stopped. They aren't lazy or looking to jack up prices (Which the price was alittle higher because they had 4 instead of the standard 2 ep per volume.), they did the smart thing and listened to the fans.

If you find a link of where he said that, post away.

Last edited by Ataru on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
If I follow that logic, I would have paged CMP dead long ago.
I believe CPM do more than just anime.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
As does AnimEigo. Wink
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I believe CPM do more than just anime.
*LOL* You got me there. Anime 18 still do hentai, right? But yeah, they are still around, for the most part.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
As does AnimEigo. Wink
Not by much though. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2