• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Takahiro Omori

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Awesome interview!

I really hope lots of people will pick up this release. I've got mine ordered with the Bakemonogatari BD so I won't be getting it for a while but when I do, I think I just might marathon it for the umpteenth time. This series has a very good rewatch value.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh god I love Natsume both the manga & anime. I loved it from the first season of the anime but my enthusiasm and appreciation has grown even more over time. I guess because you really watch Natsume grow & develop over the course of the series. I can't wait to get my DVD set.

But anyways this quote is one of the major reasons the series works so well. Obviously the youkai/supernatural aspect keeps the series interesting, but it is that human aspect that makes the series so special to me.

Quote:

We focused on showing Natsume's life as a regular teenaged boy. The only thing "different" about Takashi Natsume is the fact he can see yokai, and all the events that stem from that are all natural for him. Everything that Natsume feels, and the theme of the show, are all things that can be felt by any person. Therefore, we paid close attention to how we created scenes to be easily relate-able, as well as the natural livelihood and relationships with other people.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
...5 of these questions are the same ones I asked, but they're worded differently...sort of urked about that. Oh well, per-ordered the set after I didn't win the contest.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
...5 of these questions are the same ones I asked, but they're worded differently...sort of urked about that. Oh well, per-ordered the set after I didn't win the contest.

I noticed that about my questions as well, but I just chock it up to these questions being worded more articulately than ours Wink

Anyway, I don't know if it's been confirmed or even mentioned, but I hope the fourth season isn't the last. This is easily one of the best series I've seen, recently or otherwise.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Anyway, I don't know if it's been confirmed or even mentioned, but I hope the fourth season isn't the last. This is easily one of the best series I've seen, recently or otherwise.

Natsume does very well in Japan so I highly doubt they will end the series at 4 seasons. There was a 2-year gap between the 2nd and 3rd seasons so I would expect a 5th season either late 2013 or some time in 2014. So far... ;__;

Right now there's enough manga material for another season. Perhaps they're waiting for the manga to get ahead so they have enough for 2 seasons' worth.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- Natsume Yuujinchou is hands down my all-time favorite series.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
To me, Natsume is like the rice of the anime world. Other shows may be flashier and spicier but this is the show I always come back to if I just want to watch a quality series. =w=
SonDavid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not kidding. Number 4 was exactly the question I asked. I sent it three times. Guess I got my answer.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the other fans, I honestly picked up this series if because it's a shojo with a male lead. I don't like most female leads, so I try to find those series with male leads (with no romance, those are even harder to find), and this was 1 of the few I found. This is why I enjoy Kaori Yuki's work (won't pick up Angel Sanctuary) because it fits in the area of what I want to read.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
To me, Natsume is like the rice of the anime world. Other shows may be flashier and spicier but this is the show I always come back to if I just want to watch a quality series. =w=

Couldn't agree more.

It's the serenity of this series that really sets it apart from all others.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
I love this series so much, both manga and anime! It's just so sweet, calm, and genuine, and I think that last part is what really sets it apart. This was a great interview; very informative and reminds me why Natsume has such a fantastic anime adaptation. Very Happy It's one of the lucky few to get a competent director who understands how to respect the original work while making necessary changes to fit the new medium.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
I was so delighted when I saw this interview. Great to hear the director's thoughts. I love Natsume Yuujinchou and am really glad the first two seasons have been licensed.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Actually, all four seasons have been licensed. The other two will be released at a later date.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
To me, Natsume is like the rice of the anime world.

Yummy, easy to make, and goes with practically any meal?

Quote:
For example, in season four, episode eleven, Natsume pasting a photo on the back of the sliding door was a plot that was thought up by the playwright, Yoshinaga. When Ms. Midorikawa read this plot, she explained to us that in the original, she wanted to show that Natsume was hiding something "important" behind the sliding door. Since she wasn't able to fit that into the original, we were more than glad to fit it into the anime

That was a smart move on the playwright. I remebered that scene from the anime; I couldn't help but find it so endearing that Natume wanted to keep some form of proof of his new friends. I'l never get tired of this series but I honestly never pictured it being this successful (in terms of merchandise and sequels.) ^///^

I can't wait for NIS America to release the "last" two seasons. This time I'll pre-order on their website to get a Nyanko-sensei bag.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The only change I didn't like at first is keeping Sasada in the storyline but I've gotten used to her & it's nice to have another girl besides just Taki.

I also loved the pictures in the closet scene. I remember when that scene showed up myself I questioned if it was in the manga or not, it just fit so well with Natsume's character.

Hoping for a 5th season but I am not as certain. Despite the series popularity, the 4th season was the first time "the end" appeared at the last episode & on twitter Omori Takahiro said there were no plans for a 5th season. Of course that can change and I hope it does. I caught up with the manga & really there are still so many wonderful chapters to animate.

edit: Another thing that makes me think the 5th season is not a certainty is plot points have been dropped from the anime, most notably in the Eastern Forest arc with Matoba in the 4th season

spoiler[Matoba realizes that Natsume is very concerned about the Book of Friends, but he doesn't know what it is yet just that it's a book.]

I think this might have dropped on purpose because they weren't sure if they were going to continue and didn't want to create any loose ends in the anime.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It's refreshing to read an interview here on ANN where the person interviewed actually goes into some detail. A lot of the time answers are barely a full sentence. I wonder if that's due to the person being interviewed, or the interviewer? I've noticed it elsewhere too though, so maybe it's something about mangaka/anime creators or Japanese culture?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2