• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Film Strip Auction Ends at US$13,600

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
what?....what?!...WHAT?!..

The things people do these days -_-.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
what?....what?!...WHAT?!..

The things people do these days -_-.

Not surprising, its todays obsessive hardcore fans we are talking about.

If it something has cute girls, preferably young ones they will dig it instantly.

Not for nothing they are the main target of anime studios and they create the most content just for them, they are like their Golden Cash Cow that is practically begging to be milked and seems to have "infinite produce to boot! Laughing
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
I understand what it's like to spend crazy cash on anime. There's been quite a few cels and sketches where I've paid $$$ all the while telling myself of what else I could have purchased with that money.

But even I think that $13K for a four frame film strip is just a *tad* much.

But, if I had a bank account that could net me a place on the Forbes List, $13K would probably be the equivalent of what $13 is in my world.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually the price just goes to show you how poor otaku are Very Happy considering how this is one-of-a-kind collectors item is equivalent to an original in the fine arts or antique world, or movie memorabilia.

Most otaku and fujoshi are relatively poor (yes, really) but do splurge on some things. If there were even just a few moderately rich otaku, the price would've been much higher.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
^I disagree. I think it's very difficult to equate a cel, or an original sketch, with a painting by someone like Picasso. Painters like Picasso, Monet, Rembrandt, etc. are household names known worldwide. Anime artists like Eichiro Oda might be well known in Japan, but outside of this area, those who are not anime fans wouldn't have an inkling as to who or what he does.

With classical artwork, you're paying a premium for the name. That's the only thing that differs between the original and a really good faxsimile done by an art student. That premium, to many global collectors, can be worth several million dollars.

With production cels and sketches, you usually don't know who did the artwork. Yes, it could be from a famous series, but the chances of the original creator or character designer actually drawing that particular item is small, and if, on the offhand chance they did, you'll have a difficult time proving it. Cels and douga/genga are usually not signed by their creator.

With original sketches, like those you might receive at a convention, while the artist can be easily identified, their name has nowhere near the star power of a great painter. Hence, the price you might pay for that item might reflect that artist's popularity and recognition.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Have to disagree. It is a fair comparison. Really, the masters of the art world, really only appeal to a small crowd. For the rest it is just the NAME cachet. The appeal is owning something that not everyone can get. Old world art with its name credentials, and its sheer lack of availability is the ultimate in elitism. Nothing wrong with that, either. It is their money. I could care less if they own a Monet.

For the fans of Madoka Magica, these film strips are their Rembrandt's and Renoir's.

One person's trash, is another person's treasure.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
......and to add to this, my masters are Masamune Shirow, Kenichi Sonoda, and Johji Manabe (真鍋譲治).
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Actually the price just goes to show you how poor otaku are Very Happy considering how this is one-of-a-kind collectors item is equivalent to an original in the fine arts or antique world, or movie memorabilia.

It's not one-of-a-kind. It's projection film, essentially mass-produced through a mechanised industrial process, one of dozens, maybe hundreds, of identical copies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Besides that, art by known individuals should always carry at least some intrinsic value, which ignoring market fluctuations and sporadic trends, should always increase with time. I suppose all of these items are only as valuable as we determine them to be, but I'm not going to make $250 from bringing in a GSC Saber Lily to Rick's Pawn shop, he'd laugh me out of the store. I don't think the same $13.6k value will be there years from now, as trends change and new things arise. This is heat of the moment because it's a hot title.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think those who are buying these film strips at auction, are buying them for their intrinsic value.

I am not sure but don't they destroy much of the film reels when they are no longer needed. Also, doesn't the move to Digital significantly reduce the amount of actual film reels out there also.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't think those who are buying these film strips at auction, are buying them for their intrinsic value.

I'd hope not. Pop-culture memorabilia sold as such is pretty solidly a terrible investment; tastes change and generally popularity -- and demand -- fades. But supply remains constant, because people take good care of their pop-culture memorabilia, 'cause -- in part -- they think it might be worth something.

[which leads you to the paradoxical conclusion that the less disposable a piece of memorabilia, the more valued it is at time of sale, the worse it'll hold its value.]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I am not sure but don't they destroy much of the film reels when they are no longer needed. Also, doesn't the move to Digital significantly reduce the amount of actual film reels out there also.

I'm pretty sure that the person who bought this, bought it because he (or she, but probably he) has more money than can rationally be spent, and really likes MadoHomu.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
With production cels and sketches, you usually don't know who did the artwork. Yes, it could be from a famous series, but the chances of the original creator or character designer actually drawing that particular item is small, and if, on the offhand chance they did, you'll have a difficult time proving it.

When some of my cel-collecting friends talk about this, iirc they consider context to be more important than creator. If the cel is from an identifiable scene or motion, then it has more value.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

When some of my cel-collecting friends talk about this, iirc they consider context to be more important than creator. If the cel is from an identifiable scene or motion, then it has more value.

Right, cell (or 'filmstrip' in this case, since Cells are no longer a thing) value is very much more based on what it is a cell of, not who specifically drew it (though knowing that can be quite cool and all).

I seriously doubt any other sequence could draw something like this. Its the perfect confluence of factors.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I think it is also, and more importantly, the shipping factor.
If I had the money I would have spent it too, since MadoHomu is my OTP

It's not crazy, if you like something a lot you buy it. It's the same with autographs or shirts used by sport-people.
The item in question is not the value, what one values is the symbol of admiration. Especially with shipping, once you ship, is like real serious business, and you can end up spending hardcore cold cash.
People don't have an idea how much one can end up spending for doujinshi.

Collecting stuff is different from acquiring stuff for emotional reasons, when we ship we get stuff not because of their monetary value, but because of their emotional value.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2