• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“These girls drive tanks, and they found a bunch by scavenging the countryside.” Screw you

They were abandoned by the previous iteration of Ooarai's Sensha-do club.

Edit: Also a scandalous lack of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hm, a bunch of shoujos and fujoshi stuff in the top 10? What a surprise.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I really think that ANN should spread around the love for this column a bit, since its pretty obvious which shows will be high ranked and which won't at this point. A woman will obviously be inclined towards shows aimed at women.

I feel a sh** storm incoming.... grabs some popcorn, this is going to be good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I really think that ANN should spread around the love for this column a bit, since its pretty obvious which shows will be high ranked and which won't at this point. A woman will obviously be inclined towards shows aimed at women.

i since a sh** storm incoming.... grabs some popcorn

You want butter or french fries with that? Laughing
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
For once I actually agree with all of the reviews on The Stream.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this season and watching more shows (7) than I previously anticipated. From the New World is my favorite show. True, the creators throw a lot of stuff, but I think I understand it enough to enjoy and appreciate it. The visual style is also interesting; Zac Bertschy might enjoy it.

I am a sucker for romance and unsurprisingly, I am watching Say, I Love You and My Little Monster. I liked My Little Monster at first more, but there has been a bit of info dumping in episodes 5-6. Sword Art Online comes in fourth. I am rapidly losing faith that SAO might become good eventually.

Here is my full list:
1. From the New World
2. Say, I Love You
3. My Little Monster
4. Sword Art Online
5. Robotics;notes
6. MAGI
7. Blast of Tempest
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I knew Oniai was going to be bad. So I'm just in it for the laughs. At least until I get tired of them. Which should happen around the seventh episode or so, unless something drastic happens.

Also, I'm on the anti-SAO bandwagon now. Funny how things change. That show took a nasty nosedive.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually rather surprised no show was axed right away.

Quote:
beautiful girl is so often shown half-clothed or in sexual situations “for manga research,”

Wait, your problem is with Mashiro being in sexual situations for manga research? Sorata was the one made to strip! Laughing

And really any fanservice involving Mashiro is pretty tame. One nude shot, a messily buttoned shirt... all small time. She's been handled pretty respectfully, all things considered.

Still, I'm glad you're seeing what else the show has to offer.

Quote:
I know these novels have this feverish following that will defend every last story thread to the bitter end

Well, part of it is that, but mostly it's because people get the details wrong or wonder why there are no explainations for things that do have explanations. Like so:

Quote:
tons of other players are using their NerveGears to play another game called Alfleim

They don't use NerveGears, they use some other thing (whose name I don't recall). Kirito uses his NerveGear because he doesn't want to buy the new thing, I guess.

I suppose you're not too far off on the author wanting to end the SAO arc, though. He did write the book for a contest and ended up over the page limit. Was probably trying to cut down on some things to make it under.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I think the new problem I've developed for Psycho-Pass' system comes from watching Breaking Bad's Gus character and realizing spoiler[some of the worst criminals can be completely calm and collected]. How do you measure a mental state when they can obfuscate their intents behind composure and coolness? I get the premise "oh boy, flawed system in future, be wary of future thought crimes, y'alls", but it's just not really clicking here.

I agree that SAO has dropped way off in the second half. It's no longer grand adventuring, it's just waiting for guy to rescue girl before she's raped for the rest of her life. No Fencedude, there's no defending that. I find the idea of arranged marriages to be less than convincing plot elements, simply because they're always surrounded by inexhaustible reasons for why one party can't just "say no. Yeah, force the comatose girl into marriage, that'll show her.

Quote:
There's some knowledge dropped here and there, but it takes a backseat to cute girls doing cute things.

Code for: "I did not watch episode four." Sucks that we'll have to wait a month for another introspective. As for, "Tanks suddenly exist and these girls inexplicably know how to operate them". Well, their sport/hobby has existed for a long time, given the manner in which the show presents sensha-dou, comparable to the likes of archery. Some girls have been involved since childhood, and others had decent bases of knowledge to add to the collective group. And these older tanks aren't the space shuttle, the controls are rudimentary, but still difficult to master, which is why we've given that part of an episode about learning to drive and start the tank up. So yeah, it is just pressing a few buttons to get it running.

Quote:
If there's an overarching storyline, I'm not sure I've grasped it. I'm pretty sure there isn't. If there is, it's lost in a cloud of women shoving themselves in the cardboard male's face, and him saying no. I appreciate that the series has humor and treats this harem setup in a cheeky way, but every episode feels like a carbon copy of the ones before it.

It's mostly a less on-the-nose and less-humorous iteration of Seitokai Yakuindomo. There is no plot or story, the point is to get the guy to into sexual situations or at least make sexual humor. Nothing this anime does or says should be taken or construed as serious or heartfelt.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
K - It is very nice visually and very blue too. The soundtrack is fantastic though - very reminiscent of the soundtrack from Persona 3.

No TAN shows for you though Bamboo? I think they've pretty much caught up to what Japan is airing now. Missing out on the fantastic Chu2koi.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
My top 10 of the season so far would be...

1. Gintama - Its more Gintama, so that instantly makes it the best of the season.
2. Chuunibyou - KyoAni went back to what they do best, and it shows. Really funny and cute.
3. Little Busters - While not a great adaption so far, its still Little Busters. It has a better source material than anything else this season, so the potential is there.
4. Pet Girl of Sakurasou - Quite a good romcom with some very heartwarming moments.
5. My Little Monster - I'm quite surprised how much I'm liking this show. I was drawn to it since it had much better character designs than most shoujo stuff does, and I'm glad I gave it a try.
6. To Love Ru Darkness - Without the censors, it would be #4. Not much to say other than its To Love Ru but with flashes of light everywhere.
7. Girls und Panzer - A fun show with tons of cute girls everywhere. Good animation and tank battles too.
8. Robotic;Notes - Eh, its no where near as good as Steins;Gate so far but its not bad either. I'm mainly watching it since I'm hoping it'll get better.
9. Magi - A fun battle shonen. My expectations aren't really too high outside of having some nicely animated fights due to A-1.
10. Hayate no Gotoku - My disappointment of the season... I was looking forward to the triumphant return of Hayate, and I'm given a terribly animated Hayate without any kind of real story. Oh well, a bad Hayate is still a watchable show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm saddened that Bamboo isn't grooving on Girls und Panzer - I'm finding it absolutely delightful. Anyhoo, I once again have to doff my cap to anyone willing to undertake something like The Stream. It really is the Ironman, er, Ironperson Slog of Anime Reviewing.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
They did cut a reasonable chunk out of the masterminds reasoning in SAO in its transition to anime. Then again it was still lazy reasoning in the novels, there was certainly more there than "I forget" though. Rolling Eyes It had to do with moving the human consciousness into the digital realm, and that sort of stuff.

I am still enjoying it though, just squint your eyes a bit and ignore the plot. Mainly because I miss fantasy-esque anime, and DT although fun in its own incredibly stupid way doesn't really cut it.

Last edited by partially on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Current Anime Rankings:
1. My Little Monster
2. From the New World
3. Chuu2Koi
4. Sword Art Online
5. Say "I Love You."
6. Little Busters!
7. The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
8. Kamisama Kiss
9. Space Brothers
10. HUNTER x HUNTER
11. Smile Precure!
12. ROBOTICS;NOTES
13. Aikatsu!

I'm kind of surprised how high Say "I Love You." is on my list, since I nearly dropped it after the second episode (the pacing felt way too fast.) Episode 3 and beyond are as good or better than the first episode, though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's no longer grand adventuring, it's just waiting for guy to rescue girl before she's raped for the rest of her life.

Well I'm not Fencedude, but if anything the stakes are higher this time, at least on a personal level. Kirito has a very important and intimate goal this time: to save the girl he loves. I'm sure if you asked him she's far more important than his own life. If he died in SAO, well, that sucks, but it'd probably be better living his whole life knowing that Asuna was in the clutches of a giant douchebag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15