• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Steins;Gate BD+DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
No mention of dr.pepper for being a drink for intellectuals?? Hmm... I also compare this series to the movie buttery fly effect on the pseudo science of time travel that was fun to watch unfold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geremi99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
That was spot on. Thanks Rebecca!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Nitro plus and 5pb aren't a studio I think (they aren't even a single company), and last I checked madhouse did chasos; head and whitefox did stein;s gate (I remember because their was a comment about in relation to jour.)

I agree with this review a lot actually though I disliked a majority of the second half.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...apart from also not knowing how to use a semi-colon properly,

I enjoyed this line very much.

Steins;Gate is pretty high on my to-watch list, though I haven't managed to get around to it quite yet. I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews, enough that I definitely want to check it out to make my mind up for myself. At very least, the good parts sound right up my alley.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first half and have the 2nd have on pre-order. This is one of my favorite shows from the past few years. I have always been a fan of time travel stories, and this one does not disappoint!

I have only re-watched about 6 episodes or so, but so far I am loving the dub, Michael J's Okabe and Tyson's Daru in particular, but I also have been impressed with newcomer Jackie Ross as Mayuri. I would also suggest to everyone that enjoys it to re-watch this show at least once! I have noticed so many "little touches" that I missed the first time while re-watching, armed with the knowledge of where things are headed, that I was amazed!
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I dont agree with this review at all in regards to the characters.

I dont see how you found most of the characters annoying. Some are eccentric, but flat out irritating? No way. I think this review more turns people away than actually trying it out, especially when it really is top notch.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Nitro plus and 5pb aren't a studio I think (they aren't even a single company), and last I checked madhouse did chasos; head and whitefox did stein;s gate (I remember because their was a comment about in relation to jour.)

I agree with this review a lot actually though I disliked a majority of the second half.

Nitroplus = Primarily a visual novel development company
5pb/MAGES = primarily, a visual novel publisher

They are technically made by the same company as both games were developed by the same group. It's the animaton studios that were different.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm going have to confess that the only character I couldn't stand was Ruka (although, as smart as he maybe, Daru comes at a close second).
Mainly because he was the token "super effeminate guy" (I hate the term "trap") who has a female voice actor therefore, it's funny. Other than that, most of the characters I found tolerable.

While I do find Steins;Gate (the semicolon doesn't bother me) to be enjoyable just for the Sci-Fi elements thrown-in here and there as well as the use of the Time Machine plot to be both mysterious yet a tad bit implausible, I agree that the series tend to feel uneven. Like when Rintaro played that weird card game with Feris just for a little bit of information; it just seemed off and was put in as a wink to the maid cafe fans.

Still, I'm glad I purchased the series; can't wait for Part Two.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
While I don't want to come off as mean-spirited, I am rather glad that the folks at ANN don't find this show to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's entertaining, sure, and seldom boring, but at the same time it's terribly light on substance. The characters may not be unlikable, but they are incredibly cliche, and the story drags its feet a helluva lot more than it needs to.

Is it still a good show? Yes it is, and I recommend it to fans of science fiction and time travel. However, I suspect that much like Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note and Code Geass before it, the hype for this show will soon blow over and it will pass its heyday.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I'm going have to confess that the only character I couldn't stand was Ruka (although, as smart as he maybe, Daru comes at a close second).
Mainly because he was the token "super effeminate guy" (I hate the term "trap") who has a female voice actor therefore, it's funny. Other than that, most of the characters I found tolerable.

Uhh...what? That literally makes zero sense. The fact that Ruka is played by a woman is not "funny" or intended to be funny, or anything else. HUGE numbers of male characters are played by women. It is in fact completely banal.

Also Ruka's situation is vastly more complex than you are giving it credit for.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Nobody can top Miyano Mamoru as Okabe, no way at all.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Extras are the basics – two episodes with commentary (the first with Rhinehart and Trina Nishimura) is more enjoyable than the second, discussing the recording process and with Rhinehart demonstrating his different death screams from other shows, which are strangely specific – clean themes, trailers, and a map of Akihabara.

This sentence needs a rewrite.
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Even though S;G is one if my favorite series, I have to agree with the B rating, but ONLY for the first half (which is what was reviewed). It spends a lot of time setting stuff up, and I feel that the turning point of the entire series being exactly in the middle of the series might have been a little forced by drawing out the first 12 episodes. The second half is definitely much, much better, and what gave this show all of the acclaim it earned.

Yeah, anyways I also really like the characters, and I find them all pretty interesting and likeable, even though some of them have a rather wacky side. I think that's part of the show's charm.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
[Condescending troll post that made no points and added nothing to the discussion removed]

I enjoyed all of those shows, but I wouldn't call any of them "excellent"; they're underachievers that take complex concepts and use them for shallow titillation, failing to live up to their full potential. That's just my take.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
MadShadow42 wrote:

Is it still a good show? Yes it is, and I recommend it to fans of science fiction and time travel. However, I suspect that much like Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note and Code Geass before it, the hype for this show will soon blow over and it will pass its heyday.

Actually, Haruhi is still quite popular. The light novels continue to sell very well. I think Steins;Gate is going to continue it's popularity for a little while longer - you have the movie coming out, another game and you have all these drama cds, mangas and novels that continue on expanding the stories. It's quite fascinating actually.

It was also a pretty much critically acclaimed VN when it was released back in 2009 (three years ago!). I think the game will be still remembered as one of the best visual novels of this console generation.

terminus24 wrote:
Even though S;G is one if my favorite series, I have to agree with the B rating, but ONLY for the first half (which is what was reviewed). It spends a lot of time setting stuff up, and I feel that the turning point of the entire series being exactly in the middle of the series might have been a little forced by drawing out the first 12 episodes. The second half is definitely much, much better, and what gave this show all of the acclaim it earned.

Agreed. I'm interested to see the review for the 2nd half where the show really picks up. To be fair though, the game was just as plodding before shit hit the fan. The anime is pretty damn accurate to the game's true route.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6