• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kenshin Manga: Will justice be served?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rurouni507

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't see any other post for this so I thought Id take the liberty.

With the annoucement Viz will be giving kenshin its own seperate manga. Does anyone here think it will be done good? I honestly dont buy my manga from Viz but from Tokyopop, im not bias but Viz really never got a title I liked until now and I dont know if they do mangas good. Anyone care to say their 2 cents?
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm new to the whole manga thing too, but from the titles I've seen and the actual japanese versions as long as Viz just translates it and doesn't tamper with it unless they want to add stuff "good stuff"' then I think it will be fine.
Kei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:37 pm Reply with quote
from what i have read of the Viz titles, the translators do take a few liberties once in a while. For example, in Inu-Yasha #2, in the scene where Kagome is trying to take inuyasha's shirt off to treat his wounds, she tells him to take off his shirt. In the original he just screams "stop it", VIZ translates it to "beg me to". They also tone down the swearing in it, but i dont think they edit anything beyond that. So overall i would say VIZ does a decent job, and have been getting better over the years. That's just my opinion though.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The only way Viz could do the Kenshin manga justice is if they translated dialogue two different ways in every panel (literally, with alternate translations of individual words; and colloqually) and if they add extra gore and swearing and nudity so it stays mature, and stays true to the *artist's vision*!

If they don't do that, it'll suck just like every other sell-out commercial English translation, and I will refuse to buy it and rally true Kenshin fans to demand better translations.

This has been your daily dose of bitter sarcasm. Evil or Very Mad
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The liberties they take in the translation probably will be the same as the subtitles in the anime. It doesn't matter to me how much Sanosuke cusses but my sister thinks that editing it taking "oh so much" away from his character. She's one of those Kenshin crazy people.

The manga was already 'artistically' edited by the Japanese animators. I find nothing wrong with American's artists doing the same thing.
Rurouni507

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like they do a good job I just hope they keep them in the original manga size to add to my japanese collection of kenshin mangas. That would be nice :roll:
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni507 wrote:
Sounds like they do a good job I just hope they keep them in the original manga size to add to my japanese collection of kenshin mangas. That would be nice Rolling Eyes

Dont see why the wouldnt all there new releases are original size.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni507 wrote:
...add to my japanese collection of kenshin mangas.....

Oh, that is JUST like something my sister would say. She also went and bought the orginal Japanese versions. tankobans? Question Whatever that word is. Smile My sister almost rolled over and died when she learned that Viz had acquired Kenshin. Since you're new here, did you have any reservations when you heard Viz had the series? She was afraid that they'd put in left-to-right and she'd have to look at pictures with his scar on the wrong side. I find it extremely painful to look at Chichiri in Fushigi Yugi and know that his face is backwards.
Koenma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:46 pm Reply with quote
It will start to be printed in right-to-left format soon.Anime smile

I'm happy that Rurouni Kenshin manga will finally be translated to English, but I'm still deciding on whether or not I'm happy on VIZ getting the title.

PROS:

It will probably be right to left, since VIZ will be putting it in the Shonen Jump Graphic Novels line.

It will only cost $7.95.

It won't have to be toned down as much as it would have in Shonen Jump USA.

It will come out A LOT faster than if it were in SJ USA.

VIZ is usually good with translations, especially if they're partly comedy.
--------------
CONS:

VIZ WILL tone it down. let's face it-- like it or not, VIZ doesn't like to have so much swearing and nudity (I've never read the manga, so I don't know how much nudity there is, but VIZ won't let all of it slip through.) in their manga, and they'll want to shoot around a Teen+ rating to attract more of an audience, so too much nudity and swearing won't happen.

VIZ won't translate it as well as TOKYOPOP would have. This COULD lead to a problem with some fans.

VIZ got it.
---------------

There are my opinions and 2 cents, I guess..
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Koenma wrote:

VIZ won't translate it as well as TOKYOPOP would have. This COULD lead to a problem with some fans.

You know, that's what I hear is the general opinion about translations. There was this one incident that made me think. I was on mIRC chatting with a guy who said he did contract translation work for TokyoPop. He went up one wall and down the other complaining how TokyoPop was screwing up the translations and ruining works of art. He said they turned Magic Knight Rayearth into a pile of mush and left out tons of stuff. Well, I have no idea about the translations but now I don't look at TokyoPop as perfect and Viz as an evil god trying to destroy beautiful manga. That seems to be a prevalent opinion to a lot people I talk to.

Just food for thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1