• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nekomonogatari (Black) Anime's 2nd Promo Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pangea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
They sure are milking money from this franchise... I liked bakemonogatari, but nisemonogatari was just fail. Don't know how this will turn out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:
They sure are milking money from this franchise... I liked bakemonogatari, but nisemonogatari was just fail. Don't know how this will turn out.

When they have the best selling franchise in late night anime history, it would be foolish not to "Milk" it. Shinbo has said they have plans to animate all of the novels eventually, so there will be Monogataris for a while.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:

I don't quite see how animating pre-existing source material because the fans want it is classified as 'milking'...
Sure, if they made a stupid anime-only spin off like 'Monogatari the Musical' or something, you'd have a point.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The first BD volume has already accumulated more preorder 'points' than any of the fall season shows... and it has only been out a week.

Yep, no reason not to milk it when they have mindless drones like that.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:

A third season of an extremely popular anime is not "milking" a franchise. Creating "Hello Kitty" wine bottles definitely is.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:

It's not exactly milking when you have more material to adapt. Expanding the Hobbit into three films by including side stories from Christopher Tolkien books is a better example of milking. But related to Shinbo and SHAFT, the two Madoka recaps are milking the popularity, probably the most egregious example I can think of. The Evangelion films may be popular remakes, but you still did have ten years between EoE and 1.0, not 1 year and a half years.
Togame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
mindless drones

Really, dude? Really?
Tkags

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if something is "milked" as long as it's good. IMO the Nekomonogatari ark (Black/White) is the best of the series so far (At least of the translated novels.) If you don't like something just don't watch/buy it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
Quote:
mindless drones

Really, dude? Really?

While I wouldn't go as far as to say "Mindless drones", the fact its already got more preorder points in a week than anything in the Fall season (3000 more than Girls und Panzer, the current leader) and it hasn't even aired at episode does show that people will buy anything in the franchise even without seeing an episode. Its a ... very loyal fanbase.

It'll probably sell like 100k copies, which is more than the sales of the entire projected Fall season (per volume average) combined.
Mr. Despair

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Togame wrote:
Quote:
mindless drones

Really, dude? Really?

While I wouldn't go as far as to say "Mindless drones", the fact its already got more preorder points in a week than anything in the Fall season (3000 more than Girls und Panzer, the current leader) and it hasn't even aired at episode does show that people will buy anything in the franchise even without seeing an episode. Its a ... very loyal fanbase.

It'll probably sell like 100k copies, which is more than the sales of the entire projected Fall season (per volume average) combined.

Well, these "drones" could have read the book, no?
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
If anime series is presellling lot hot cakes it just might be good I will keep a eye out for this series Smile
Donpablo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be the best New Years in recent memory. A two hour special of monogatari. It's like a movie before the real movie later next year. 2013 is starting out to be very good indeed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I think a stable set of expectations helps out here as well. Shinbo doesn't drift from his cores of direction, even if SHAFT has production issues or whatever. We know what the source is, we trust the director and his staff... there's no reason to fear anything going catastrophically wrong, and that means sales. I have no idea how this equals into success for someone like Michael Bay, since you expect his movies to be awful, but it also works amazingly well for Peter Jackson who you expect to make cinematic epics. Now for where a set of expectations actually does affect a director is with M. Night McTwist. His name isn't even on the trailer for After Earth.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Did not even know this was comming until recently, I am interested to see how this will turn out with what we saw of the Tsubasa arc in Bakemono. Nisemono may ot have lived to expectations, but it has not diminished my interest in this and the movie.
TheMonsterHunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Togame wrote:
Quote:
mindless drones

Really, dude? Really?

It wasn't bought because no one knew anything about it. It was bought because it finally released on a media format that one can buy. To say that someone bought this because of the studio producing it, would be a massive error on your part. I have been waiting three years to buy them. Now I can get rid of my BD rips.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2