• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-03-09]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I should say this here or in a pm, but when I click on the image for this week's Answerman, I get sent to last week's column.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, the text links to this week's article, but the image links to last week's article.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
A few quick questions about the second answer:

I would have thought that the television network (in this case CN or [AS]) would have to pay for the rights to televise the property - just like cable networks pay for syndication rights to Friends and MASH and stuff like that. Why wouldn't this hold true for Anime on Cartoon Network? Is it just the lack of a market?

Now since airing a show on CN (or any other network) is basically a comercial for the DVDs, why wouldn't every publisher (except maybe ADV since they have TAN) want to display their offering?
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
About stations being paid to air a show, out of curiosity, how many anime series has this happened to?

Slightly off topic, but instead of a fuzzy animal, how about a feathered one, a cute adorable budgie photo would make me very happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
About stations being paid to air a show, out of curiosity, how many anime series has this happened to?

It depends on the show and on the network. This doesn't happen with every show and it's not exactly public information so trying to find out exactly how many shows have gone this route, for what network, and for how much is something you're never going to find out.

Of course every publisher wants their stuff on CN. But it's not some kind of smorgasbord of timeslots where the publisher decides when or where they want their show to air; every show is different, CN approaches every show differently. It's CN's schedule, they're in control, they make the final decision and they decide what they want to air.

The practice of anime companies paying networks (not necessarily CN or any other network) to air their shows happens every now and then and has been happening since anime started growing in popularity. However, the details of these deals - what companies, which shows, what networks - these aren't details I or anyone else will give you. Just know that it does happen.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Slightly off topic, but instead of a fuzzy animal, how about a feathered one, a cute adorable budgie photo would make me very happy.

Or how about a cute reptile? I really like snakes. But as always am missing the kittens! Kawaii!
guendolen_sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ha! Those are terrific! Not to mention sounding scarily like real shows.... I'm so glad to see a wider variety of work beign recognized. I mean, "Mega Chocolate Surfboard Men"? **snorting laugh** That cracked me up. Kudos to all three! I look forward to next week's installment. Smile

Oh, and to deviate for a moment, my items still haven't arrived yet.... Where were they being shipped from? That way I can get a better idea of when they might arrive.
astra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
Ahahaha. Gomikko. What a perfect name for a J-pop star. I wonder if the author knew what is meant or if it was just a random piece of hilarious luck Smile
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
I sorta have a question dealing with the whole anime costing so much in America. I recogize that it's cost much more for ADV, Bandai or whomever it may be to release a single dvd therefore an entire season cost me a lot more then the simpsons. My question is this same principal true in Japan, does Ghost in the shell SAC cost the same price in Japan as the simpson cost me stateside. And further when a company license a show (A US show Family guy simpson) in Japan do those DVD's have that same increase cost, that anime does for US market? I would be very thankful to any who have any info.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Now what the hell am I supposed to do all summer?

Maybe reading a book is in order? Or just go out, buy the DVD's from the earlier season(s) and watch them again.

As much as I try to avoid the Creation Station stuff (it makes my head hurt) I caught the production sketches and they were pretty smexy. Good job.

Now, I'll agree with Zac that Sailor Moon is probably diminishing in relevance, but I don't think that necessarily means there isn't a market. I would think that if it was offered again in DVD form, there would be a number of people who would go "Hey, I remember that. That was a fun show." and then start caring again. I guess it's kind of like I Love the 80's in that there was a lot of culture put on the back burners, and yet once VH1 jars people's memories, there's all of a sudden a demand for 80's stuff (and sequels and spinoffs of the show).

Of course, just you wait another few years, so the popularity cycle can complete its course. Wink
astromog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
My question is this same principal true in Japan, does Ghost in the shell SAC cost the same price in Japan as the simpson cost me stateside.

Not even close. I don't know about Ghost in the Shell SAC, but when I bought the first volume of Eureka 7 last year, it cost me about 4000 yen (around $US33.68 at today's exchange rate). For that you get... 2 episodes. That's all. Nothing else. No extras, nothing. This is the norm for anime DVDs released in Japan. Why is it so expensive? My only guess is because the market will support it due to the hardcore fans being willing to spend that much, and because most people will watch it on TV and not worry about seeing it again, but I'm not an economist so that may not be correct.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
Loved the three entries, especially Philip Kennedy's for using a more "obscure" anime cliche involving Genbu, Seiryuu, Suzaku, and Byakko. Anime smallmouth

My comment on the last question: Although we anime fans may bash North American anime DVD companies all the time for stupid reasons, it's the Japanese-owned Toei that really deserves the venom that's been directed at it. I mean, who won't agree that Toei made some seriously bad business decisons with the choice to release sloppy DVDs, etc? I also think they've dug themselves into a hole by not being able to make money off Sailor Moon in North America now- due to their yanking of the American SM licenses and the abandoning of their own DVD releases.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
astromog wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
My question is this same principal true in Japan, does Ghost in the shell SAC cost the same price in Japan as the simpson cost me stateside.

Not even close. I don't know about Ghost in the Shell SAC, but when I bought the first volume of Eureka 7 last year, it cost me about 4000 yen (around $US33.68 at today's exchange rate). For that you get... 2 episodes. That's all. Nothing else. No extras, nothing. This is the norm for anime DVDs released in Japan. Why is it so expensive? My only guess is because the market will support it due to the hardcore fans being willing to spend that much, and because most people will watch it on TV and not worry about seeing it again, but I'm not an economist so that may not be correct.

People always complain about how expensive anime is here in the states, but ironically, its even worse in Japan. You pay almost twice as much sometimes for just half the content. The Ghost in the Shell SAC DVDs have 2 episodes each, if you buy them in japan, and will definitely run you around $40 - $60USD.

Personally, I think its a market thing too. Since most anime studios aren't as large as we may think they are, DVDs are a major part of their income, conisdering how well they're paid for the series in the fairst place. Working the anime industry in japan is not actually the best in the world. Also, the market is saturated with anime. There's just way too much stuff on the market and you can't expect anime DVDs to sell like Hollywood blockbusters. So, the price will be higher. Plus, there's also the issue that things in japan are usually more expensive. Something to do with cost of living and consumer price index? I have no clue.
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
I wish Japanese anime DVDs were as cheap as the season boxsets you can pick up. Honestly it's not uncommon to pay anywhere from $30-60 dollars on a R2 anime DVD that can have anywhere from 2-4 episodes on it. I mean just for the Japanese anime series I'm currently buying one series is about $55 for 3 ep. per disc, two of the others are around $40 for usually 4 ep. per disc and the other is the Sailor Moon Stars re-release and that's the cheapest at about $35 for 5/6 ep. per disc.
Danno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When the chocolate surfboard men combine, they form their secret weapon ‘Bob’ a powerful cocoa based robot with a sweet praline centre!

I think that's one of the funniest sentences I've ever read. Up there with "You can always count on the color-coded Space Police Policemen."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3