• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz August releases

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Since when did Yakitate!! Japan get licensed Anime hyper?!

I love the anime for it's cooky characters and unique theme of bread and cooking. I'm not sure if the anime will ever be licensed what with all the immense Japanese word play, puns, and inside jokes, but I'm glad I can at least start collecting the manga Anime smile.

Deki da!
barbapapa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Well Yaki was found listed on amazon in december last year. So this was only a matter of time ^^

Hooray for this tho, and Zombie Powder! 2 titles I'm dying to own
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
awsome zatch bell movie and inuyasah movie 4 are really ngood cant wait for english version hopefully zatch get's a theater release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Holy crap! Since when did Yakitate!! Japan get licensed ?!

Quite a while ago actually. Viz has a habit of not announcing things since they basically can release anything in the Shogakukuan/Shueisha library. I never got around to reading Yakitate, though if I went on what's being said around the internet it's amazing (then again, every shonen manga is supposidly a masterpiece according to some fans). I'll probobly give it a shot since Shonen Sunday's titles tend to be better than Jump or Magazine.
I'm just happy that we have more classics coming over to America, namely Drifting Classroom. I'm not crasy about horror, but DC is quite good and a worthy read for fans outside of the genre.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
When the hell did Yakitate get licensed?! For that matter...is it EVEN going to sell?!

Anyway...looks like the main scanlator for Yaki will be dropping the series on his next update....oh well. There'll be other's....hopefully

Its great its going to hit american shore's though....unexpected, but great ^^
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
Holy crap! Since when did Yakitate!! Japan get licensed ?!

Quite a while ago actually. Viz has a habit of not announcing things since they basically can release anything in the Shogakukuan/Shueisha library. I never got around to reading Yakitate, though if I went on what's being said around the internet it's amazing (then again, every shonen manga is supposidly a masterpiece according to some fans). I'll probobly give it a shot since Shonen Sunday's titles tend to be better than Jump or Magazine.

Well, if you like your shounen manga (if you even do) not to take itself seriously at all. You might just like this one, it parodies shounen and cooking manga in general and imo is one of the best examples in that genre.
lion-san

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
everybody raves about Yakitate!! Japan so i will be picking this up to see if the hype is true or not

Zombie powder seems interesting also Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Man viz is taking it's sweet time with the inu-yasha season box sets.I wish they will release it alot sooner.I mean honestly seasons 1 and 2 have been released last into the early part of this year.It isn't to hard to release the box sets of that age considering where they are in the series now.
Elwood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
What's the point of relesing Zombie Powder I love the series and am happy it's coming to America but it's incomplete.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
Elwood wrote:
What's the point of relesing Zombie Powder I love the series and am happy it's coming to America but it's incomplete.

There are lots of manga series that are still incomplete; Bleach, Death Note, Hunter X Hunter, Berserk, Hellsing, etc. This wouldn't make it any different.
Agent_grey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah but Zombie Powder was canceled not just incomplete, so its sat untouched for years now. which is a shame cause I rather liked it.
I think I'll buy it still but it'd be nice to see an end.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
When the hell did Yakitate get licensed?! For that matter...is it EVEN going to sell?!

Anyway...looks like the main scanlator for Yaki will be dropping the series on his next update....oh well. There'll be other's....hopefully
Well it seems to have a good-sized fanbase online, and hopefully people will look past the bread theme as boring, because it's really not.
Scanlators nowadays don't always stop scans just because a series is licenced. VIZ doesn't do much about it.

ZP is going to ahve to live off of Kubo Tite's name, because I didn't find it to be such a great title.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Well it seems to have a good-sized fanbase online, and hopefully people will look past the bread theme as boring, because it's really not.
Scanlators nowadays don't always stop scans just because a series is licenced. VIZ doesn't do much about it.

ZP is going to ahve to live off of Kubo Tite's name, because I didn't find it to be such a great title.

Problem is that ZP never got the chance to really kick off; just when you think it's gonna get really good: Bam, its over. Tho KT did end it beautifully with a poem of his, its sad this imo very promising series got canned.
I will buy it since they will be only 8$, only 4 volumes and I'm a huge fan of Bleach and his artwork so I need to own this.

And the only team that scanlates Yakitate is known to drop licensed manga.
Definitely one of my favorite series ever.
bobobobobobobo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Zombie Powder! Yay! I've been waiting for this ever since they had that "Manga Explorer" article on it. I know it was cancelled, but is the ending good? Could you tell it was stopped in the middle if you didn't know that already? And will they be releasing it as a SJ Graphic Novel, or just a VIZ one? And do you think it will be be All ages, teen, ot teen+?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It just stops. There is no ending of any sort. It was in the middle of the story.

And it will surely be part of the Shonen Jump line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1