• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime guy crushes?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Being familiar with plenty o' anime fangirls (myself err... included) I've noticed that a lot of chicks will have a close crush or two in their hearts, sometimes from their childhoods, and that got me thinken. However, this thread can extend beyond this. You can find the character really attractive or you can just find him a cutesy character that you once had an interest in as a kid and found him cool. My choice? I always kinda had a fascination/ attraction to Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun :3. That rocken, aloof, gun toten oxymoron had me from the moment he set foot on screen. Enjoy~
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope you don't mind a guy chiming in.

I've got a fair number of man crushes. Schneizel from Code Geass is sexy and intelligent. At first I thought he was going to be a Ghiren clone but I was pleasently surprised when he turned out to be a fairly kind person.

Another is Shu Shirakawa from Super Robot Wars. Also a sexy genius, Shu makes the best robot and he always kicks tons of ass with it. In a series full of evil schemers Shu will always show up to prove that he's the most magnificant bastard of them all.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Not at all 8D in fact you're awesome for it. Rock on! The only thing I ask (now that you bring it up)... If a guy participates, don't pussyfoot around it. Don't just be like "oh, well I guess I kinda admired this one guy". No. Genuinely admit that you are/were attracted to him.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
My first love was Hotohori from Fushigi Yuugi. I was younger then and I think more susceptible to the type than I would be now --- the gorgeous, sensitive, tragic aristocrat. I still think he was a sweet guy who deserved better, but then, Fushigi Yuugi just broke my heart in every way it possibly could...
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
My first major one was Ferio from Magic Knight Rayearth. First, green is my favorite color, and he had green hair. Second, he was paired up with my favorite character, Fuu, and I love their interactions together (how she's able to read him and see behind his mask and how he flirts with her). Third, he's just so damn attractive (I love the way CLAMP designed eyes back then and how much detail they put into characters' faces and hair).

For the most part, the guys I like the most are the ones I ship with my favorite character (normally female though not necessarily). How they interact with the character can really have an effect on how much I like 'em.

But I guess that's different than what's being asked here. Because even though I like the character, I may not necessarily have a "crush" on them. And those I've "crushed" on are not necessarily one-half of a favorite couple I ship.

I'm trying to recall all the male characters I've crushed on or had those "be-still-my-beating-heart" moments for. It's actually kind of hard to do, because I think most guys tend to fall within the "like-simply-because-of-their-relationship-with-my-fave-character" category.

Let's see what I can recall:

Ferio (Magic Knight Rayearth)

William (Victorian Romance Emma) - manga-only; it's the moments within the second half when he became assertive (arguing with his father, standing up to the jackass duke) where I found him really attractive. William never quite gets there in the anime.

Chrono (Chrono Crusade) - manga-specific (I didn't care as much for the character designs in the anime); his demon form or older human form from his past with Mary Magdalene.

Garlock Simon (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) - OMNOMNOM. Simon was more adorable than attractive during the initial points of the time skip (it was more his personality that I liked). Rossiu was way more attractive appearance-wise (though he loses out in personality). But when he became Garlock? Hunk-a-hunk-a-burning-love. RAWR. And boy could he wear those outfits.

Li Ren (Hanasakeru Seishounen) - In terms of guilty pleasure, reverse harem shows where the viewer gets to choose the guy she's most attracted to... Li Ren pretty much comes out on top. Not that I've seen many reverse harems, but he would be a hard guy to beat. He's so damn hot and attractive. I love the shape and size of his eyes, I love his hair, he has pretty much the perfect body proportions/shape (i.e. waist-to-hip ratio, the right amount of muscle - lean, not a wimpy highschooler yet not a buffed-up beefcake), and I loved the clothes he wore. And to add to the fantasy, he had a personality that made me swoon. He wasn't a jerkass. His only memorable flaw was that he was too overprotective (though with Kajika's headstrong personality it was occasionally needed). He was respectful of Kajika. He gave off the appearance of being controlled and reserved (which is attractive), but was actually quite expressive and romantic when it came to Kajika (which is also attractive). I can't rank the anime any higher than a 6/10 (decent) because of the melodrama and how bad the 2nd half fell apart, but if on the off-chance it ever got a release in America I'd be one of the first to buy it (and then I'd hide it away to try and cover my shame).

Neji (Naruto) - It's the bishounen look and the long hair (and, strangely enough, blank eyes - must be because it looks exotic or something). You probably wouldn't get the impression given the examples I provided above, but I like long hair on anime guys (or guys wearing ponytails). Hotohori was one of the most attractive guys in Fushigi Yugi. I thought Spark was way more attractive than Parn in Record of Lodoss Wars (OMG, THAT HAIR). Kenshin, when his hair broke free from his ponytail while fighting, looked really attractive. So, yeah, long hair... certainly not Neji's personality.

TOO MANY BISHOUNEN TO COUNT (Story of Saiunkoku) - Overwhelming bishounen overload, and so many of them with long hair. Some personal faves are Seiran, Kijin/Hoju, and Ensei.

Fakir (Princess Tutu) - The character design is more simple and isn't really bishounen, but he's still pretty attractive. It's the hair color, ponytail, and the eyes (and he looks really attractive when he genuinely smiles). But it's his development that really helps sell him.

Uh, there are some others, but that's good for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Heh, finally a topic that assures me that I'm not the only girl anime fan on here! Very Happy But that aside, I have to say my anime crushes are probably...

Onizuka from Great Teacher Onizuka- While I am much MUCH younger than he is I can't help but love him, he's so hard and rugged on the outside yet he's the type of guy who would spoiler[go to the park and play dolls with a lonely student,] How sweet is that! Absolutely precious!!! (That and I have a tiny thing for teachers.) Embarassed

Tamaki from Ouran is also super cool! He's soo sweet and hilarious!! I know how the manga series and anime series ends but I still can't help but have a crush on the guy, I mean he was my first anime crush, how can I not change my mind after having a crush on him for the last 4 or 5 years.

Harima from School Rumble- Like Onizuka he's hard and rugged on the outside yet he's a total softey on the inside, not to menchion he's super funny and I love guys that are funny! I haven't seen all of the anime but I hope he gets with Tenma.

Canada from Hetalia Axis Powers- He's SOOOO CUTE!!! I understand his pain too, I often get ignored as well, and people tend to get me mixed up for my identical twin sister so it can't be helped that my name gets mistaken just like him and America, I'm also horrible with remembering peoples names as well and I like peace as well. I also LOVE pancakes with Syrup on them, we'd get along perfectly!

Zetsubou Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei- Once again proving I have a teensy weensy thing for teachers Embarassed but he's sooo hot! And he's very funny too, and I love guys that can make me laugh.

Kyosake from Little Busters- HE'S JUST TOO COOL!!!!!

Kuranoske from Jellyfish Princess- He's fun, sweet, smart and very fashionable, he'd make for a great shopping buddy! I'd rather have him more as a Best friend than a boyfriend though. Very Happy

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Wed May 01, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jen526

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
I tend to start crushing on any mildly awesome character with a "Japanese boy-next-door" sort of character design - dark hair, average build, just generally the opposite of the exotic dudes who get most of the attention in fangirl circles, ime.

Rock in Black Lagoon is kinda the quintessential example of the sort of character I fall for, but it's a fairly wide net. Sousuke in Full Metal Panic. Keiichi in Ah! My Goddess. Ken Hidaka in Weiss Kreuz. Hei in Darker Than Black.

To highlight a lesser-known one, I am still crushing HARD on Souta Aoi in Real Drive. He's super hot. He does the whole housewife thing in cooking and looking after his sister (looking good in an apron Smile ), has some amazing choreography in his fight sequences.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
My fiance's first crush was Wolfwood as well. She doesn't mind telling me this >.>
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Eeeeee prepare yourself for major fangirling UP IN HERE. Anime hyper
There so so many anime and manga guys that have won my hearts over so many years...(or can at least get a squee from me).

But to this day, Takuto Kira Full Moon Wo Sagashite (points to avatar) is my number 1....and I think he might always be, as it has been 10 years and no other guy has come close.
That's some serious....fangirling. Or issues. Ha, take your pick. And most of my reasons are typical fangirl ones: his looks, his personality, his voice, his traits (kya kya and all that). I mean, he's SO fetish-y. Anime hyper (catboy, shinigami, tsundere, SINGER hngggggh!!)
But I have one reason a little more deeper than that: I have never seen a love and dedication stronger than his for Mitsuki.
I mean
spoiler[He gives up his SOUL to save her life.] You cannot give more than that. That's just amazing to me, in every sense of the word. Anime cry
But yeah, I also just love everything about him like crazy. I will not take my eyes off the screen when he's on it. My obsession with him scares me a trifle....because...I've got it bad. >_>
(But do not worry...I'm not like....a freak or anything. Anime hyper I mean, I can act normal! And I won't really mention it unless it's a related topic.)

yotsubafanfan wrote:
kyosake from Little Busters- HE'S JUST TOO COOL!!!!!

Mmmm Kyousuke's epic~ actually MOST of Key's male characters are quite drool-worthy, imho. They are good at that!

yotsubafanfan wrote:
Tamaki from Ouran

Tamaki's frickin' adorable. X3 Easily my fave Host.

willag wrote:
Ferio (Magic Knight Rayearth)

*nods*

Quote:
Chrono (Chrono Crusade)

*nods again* Though I like his child-like form more. Anime hyper *hides*

Quote:
Fakir (Princess Tutu) - The character design is more simple and isn't really bishounen, but he's still pretty attractive. It's the hair color, ponytail, and the eyes (and he looks really attractive when he genuinely smiles). But it's his development that really helps sell him.

UMRG YES. And don't forget that SEXY VOICE. He's on my "list" for sure. Anime hyper Chiibi's list of bish is so freaking long....though I did start making a thing in Photoshop that I like to call "The Bishounen Awards"....and then my comp crashed and I lost the data. *sniff* :<
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I was contemplating on posting in this forum. But, seeing how comfortable people were with the "boob size" topic, I figured, why not? Most of these "crushes" was during middle-high school but, here are the main ones I can recall:

Col. Roy Mustang (Full Metal Alchemist franchise)-How many awful fire puns can I use to describe him? Anime hyper
I honestly prefer the English dub to the Japanese because Travis Willingham did a phenomenal job at voicing him. Even before realising that his "lazy, womanizing" attitude was merely a front, I liked how loyal he was to his colleagues and his partnership with Riza. How he almost had no flaws yet, was battling some inner demons from spoiler[the Ishbal War] and his determination to change the country. Also, he's pretty hot~

Katsuya "Joey Wheeler" Jonouchi (Yu-Gi-Oh)- Blame it on nostalgia but, I liked his voice in the 4Kids dub. Also... Laughing He was kinda annoying at first but, during the Duelist Kingdom Arc when we learn about his sister, I couldn't help find his determination to pay off the medical bills to be charming and warming. I really started to care about him during the match when he was under Marik's control. Overall, he's sort of a sweetheart.

Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke)- Before Haku from Spirited Away or Howl, I liked this BAMF right here. In the beginning of the film, he uses an arrow to chop of two guys head!! How awesome is that? He tries to keep the peace between San and the villagers not because he's a "goody two shoes" but, so that he can find a cure for his cursed arm. He's practical in that he wants to minimize the damage caused by the "war" between nature and humans. The relationship with him and San isn't romantic as it is bewilderment since she lives with wolf gods and such. He never forces her to "be human" but, doesn't simply leaver her alone.

Eiri "Yuki" Uesugi (Gravitation anime/manga)-First off, I hate the English dub, it's dull. Second, this show introduced me to alot of VAs including, of course, Kazuhiko Inoue. Third, Yuki is an a**hole, or a Kuudere if you will. But, in the manga, he's a major a**hole with good comedic bits. His backstory is typical for the BL genre but, I just liked how "cool" he was. In the anime, he gets angry in a calm yet, piercingly cold way. In the manga, it's usually slapstick or using sarcasm against well...everyone. I mainly just liked his face; esp. in the doujins... (don't worry its SFW)

Ginko (Mushi-Shi)- This was when I realized I had a "thing" for white haired guys. Again, Travis is great in this but, I also liked Yuto Nakano's performance. Not much to say about him except I liked how calm he was most of the time. Whenever there was a Mushi 'harming' people, he would try his best to make sure both were okay. That the value of the organism was as important as the human and, sometimes, it would be impossible to separate the two without causing harm. He made decisions, or helped, whenever he needed to or was capable of doing so. His backstory is too spoilery so, I'll leave that alone. Overall, I found him interesting yet, never boring to watch.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
I've never actually crushed on a fictional character, but there's a lot I find attractive xD Too many to list here, I'm sure...But here's a few that came to my mind first:

Samon Kusaribe (Blast of Tempest): He's intelligent, practical, and caring. He seems straight-laced but has a theatrical side as well. He spends the majority of the second half of the series face-palming. Also, damn. It's definitely the ponytail. And the shirt.

Fakir (Princess Tutu): I agree with willag. The character design is pretty meh, but I just love his character. :3 His development from a grumpy jerk to a real knight in shining armor is unmatched, and he's such a sweetheart by the end! xD I ship him and Duck HARD. The last scene with him fishing with Duck breaks my heart every single time.

Ginko (Mushishi): I like smart, quiet guys, so this makes sense. I like how even though he's stoic and detached, he doesn't ever come across as unkind. Awkward around people, sure, but he's not one of those jerky shoujo love interests. He's mysterious, and I like how well-informed he is about his chosen profession. His backstory (including everything covered in the manga) is beautiful and tragic.

Shuu Koibuchi (Princess Jellyfish): I like guys with glasses too xD I dunno, he's just so adorable! I want to give him a hug. I ship both Shuu x Tsukimi and Kuranosuke x Tsukimi, but I'd rather have Kuranosuke as a best friend than a boyfriend. I like that the characters in this series are endearing despite and because of the fact that they are allowed to be stupid and awkward and shallow. The whole series is just so lovably quirky!

Kyouya Ohtori (OHSHC): Glasses, smart, reserved. He also makes me laugh the most out of all of them because he's such an ass xD

Roy Mustang (FMA/Brotherhood): Smart, compassionate, compelling, and Roy x Riza is my OTP.

I'm with willag that a lot of the Story of Saiunkoku guys are really attractive, but I think my favorite is Koyu, mostly because he's kind of the level-headed, bookish one.

When I was younger (middle school-ish?), I had a few more...embarrassing ones that I may as well mention for comedy's sake. I've gone through a lot of different Fruba crushes over the years (not really anymore, though I love all of them like family), but the first one was probably Shigure. Then more volumes came out and I was like "lol nope." Also in middle school, I was a die-hard Twilight fan. Shut up. This meant, of course, that when, in my freshman year, the school library starting collecting Vampire Knight, I was hooked on that as well. At first, following what I point out below, I really liked Kaname. I read a little further and matured a little bit and realized that he is horrible and abusive, so I switched to Zero. I still kind of like Zero for his steadfast adherence to his own code of morality (also because he's hot), but I've long since stopped reading/caring about the series.

Can I also add Sebastian (Black Butler) as an honorable mention just because he's really, really hot? I mean, damn! Say what you want about that series, but Yana Toboso knows how to draw bishounen.

Well, that's enough of me being a pig for now xD As a side note, I actually just finished watching JesuOtaku's most recent video. In it, she talks about the two characters common to shoujo/josei love triangles, describing them as "red"--the passionate, immature bad boy; and "blue"--the kind, elegant prince. I usually like the "blue" character more; what about other people?
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Chrono (Chrono Crusade)

*nods again* Though I like his child-like form more. Anime hyper *hides*

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, because I didn't want to be creepy, but... yes, I find his younger form attractive as well (not just cute, but attractive with a boyish charm). I think he's attractive all around. I just love love love the way Daisuke Moriyama draws his characters. His character designs are one of my favorites.

All right, lemme mention just a few more.

Tomoe (Kamisama Kiss) - Yes, the jerkass with the soft heart trope. I don't care. I love the moments when gets all worried or needy or affectionate for Nanami. And he is really attractive. Especially with long hair.

Taichi (Chihayafuru) - Oh man, watching his trials and tribulations often leaves me in a mess, because I just wanna hug him (or rather I want Chihaya to hug him so that I can squeal over it). My heart goes out to him so hard.

----

EDIT: Haha, I'm being so shallow. Here I am giving reasons like, "OOOH, HAWT LONG-HAIRED BISHOUNEN," and others are looking deeper into personalities and something more than just appearances and physical attributes. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
I too like Taichi from Chihayafuru veeeery much. I feel so bad for the guy. He's hot, but he also learns from his mistakes and works hard to achieve his goal.

I never got a real crush on an anime character, but the closest would be when I was a young child (10-11 years old?) ... DON'T LAUGH... i-it was... Vegeta from DBZ. I apparently liked his badass, evil personality with obvious hints of him eventually stepping to the good side, but most times he was too proud to admit it. Hehe.

Other guys I liked were Tamaki from OHSHC and Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou. He's kawaii, I'm always rooting for him. And he should pair up wspoiler[ith Taki]!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
In it, she talks about the two characters common to shoujo/josei love triangles, describing them as "red"--the passionate, immature bad boy; and "blue"--the kind, elegant prince. I usually like the "blue" character more; what about other people?

RED ALL THE FREAKING WAY, MAN. I love passionate characters. He doesn't have to be bad (like in an abusive way)....but he needs to have flaws, at least. And once you get that character development and he swallows that stubborn pride of his...OH. MY. GOD.
His love will know no bounds.
Yeah, that is the main reason I prefer reds, overall. Normally the signs that show his feelings are based on his actions, not his words or princely smile....thus blue gets blown out of the water...and that's why red is ALWAYS the fan favorite too. Anime hyper
But also add the fact that fans can't get enough of Slap Slap Kisshe shares with the heroine. Hehehe.

I do not think Red's negative interaction with the girl should go outside of childish bickering. If he gets physically or sexually offensive...that is a big NO....and I'll go to Team Blue...or drop the series altogether.

Blues (9 times out of 10)are too perfect to be human beings and they're usually flatter than cardboard. :/ They hardly ever have character flaws...and when they do, they're normally yandere-ish flaws and I hate yandere guys....they're so creepy. Anime hyper

Yes, there are exceptions.

If Kazehaya from Kimi Ni Todoke is a blue, I do like him. But sometimes he feels too good to be true. And I liked Blue Ichi from Mamotte Lollipop....because his backstory was good (manga only) and Red Zero was just.....very very annoying....but that is a terrible shoujo series anyway. Anime hyper

Oh but,

Tamaki > Hikaru (Ouran) FOR SHO.
But Tamaki is a parody of Blue, and that's why he's so awesome. Anime hyper

willag wrote:
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, because I didn't want to be creepy

Lmao, willag, I wouldn't think that at all, honestly.
Chrono has SO MANY fans. :>

.........I see Roy Mustang and Ashitaka have been mentioned too.
Mmmm agreed~
*also kinda of an Ed fangirl* Anime hyper Tsundere short boy? OH YES, PLEASE.[/url]
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
^Actually, JO also points out in the video that "red" characters tend to be more popular in the US fandom, whereas "blue" characters are more popular with Japanese fans. From what I've seen, I can attest to this in quite a few series. It might be interesting to explore what that says about our two respective cultures xD There's also a tendency for "red" characters to be more popular among teenagers and "blue" characters among young women.

As I said, I like quiet, mature characters, and that tends to be more "blue." Red characters are immature, and I don't like how childish they are. I guess I'm too logical and timid a person to really respond to their more physical displays of emotion and passion. In fact, it often comes across as annoying or abrasive to me. Meanwhile, I do really respond to the kind words and general sweetness displayed by blue characters. I do sometimes *like* red characters, but I'm generally not attracted to them. Zero is one of the few exceptions. I enjoy watching characters like Kyo from Fruba grow up and mature, and I think that "red" characterization makes for some compelling character development. However, even in that series, I always liked Yuki more. Of course, I never really "crushed" on Yuki, because he is me, more or less xD

I really like that "coming out of their shell" story that blue characters often go through, because I can relate to that. That facade, for me, is what makes them compelling...As long as they're not genuine a**holes like Yunoki from La Corda d'Oro or something. Which, I think that's more of the "creepy" version of this kind of character--flat, emotionally distant, overprotective, and kind of yandere-ish (I only like yanderes when they're played for laughs, like Russia). There's also a creepy version of the "red" character type, as many people are no doubt aware xD That character is possessive, violent, and sexually aggressive. I think there's a good way and a bad way to write either of these character types.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4