• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Coming to Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
How lame is that?

It's odd they're not serializing potentially successful franchises like D.Gray-Man for the magazine, but rather a sequel that probably won't have the longevity of an open bag of graham crackers.

It's disappointing the Jump magazine isn't really looking towards the future with its serializations, so when you're faced with a magazine seller like Bleach, you're stuck wondering why Shaman King isn't pulling its weight anymore.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Crap! How did he already get his new issue of Shonen Jump? I only get mine usually a week before it streets, which means about July 25 for me, but I'll be on vacation then anyway, so I won't get to read it until later. Sad

Besides that, what is the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX manga? I've never heard of it before. Also, the Yu-Gi-Oh! "Millennium World" manga won't be over for another year or so at this rate (two chapters per issue), so that's also weird.

Instead of putting in some manga based on a crappy anime based on an interesting anime, they should actually serialize something new and interesting from Japan, though I can't make any suggestions off the top of my head. Laughing
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
The Yu-Gi-Oh GX manga didn't start until after the anime did, and it's only been running since February. Unless the Yu-Gi-Oh GX manga has been phenominal (which I highly doubt considering it's Yu-Gi-Oh) bringing it to the US is a very risky and bad move.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
THAT. IS. REALLY. LAME.

I specifically started subscribing to OP because a) One Piece is getting to the good parts and b) YUGIOH is ending this year! What a buzzkill!

Looks like I'll still have 36 pages of manga to skip every SJ. Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know there was a manga. I thought Takahashi quit after the Millennium World arc. With this and Gintama next year, the mag is seriously starting to diminish in quality. The only reason I read it is for YYH, too. I wish they'd serialize Bobobo instead.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even know there was a manga. I thought Takahashi quit after the Millennium World arc. With this and Gintama next year, the mag is seriously starting to diminish in quality. The only reason I read it is for YYH, too. I wish they'd serialize Bobobo instead.

Jump is going to start serializing Gintama?

Doesn't the GX manga run in V-Jump?
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Off Topic:

Is this Septemeber Issue with the Yu-Gi-Oh! Card? If so which is it?

Anywho's GX may not be the best thing since sliced Bread but I like it and I guess I'll have to learn to like it more.
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Not like I don't love GX or anything, but couldn't they have brought the "Yu-Gi-Oh! R" manga instead? The GX manga is kinda dull, but R has all the action that a title in SJ should have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even know there was a manga. I thought Takahashi quit after the Millennium World arc.

Yes...he did.

Anyway, I just went to Shueisha's site, and there is indeed a "Yu-Gi-Oh GX" manga (not "Yu-GI-Oh! Duel Monsters" GX, but Yu-Gi-Oh GX). Anyhow, Takahashi is supervising the project, along Yu-Gi-Oh! R (alternate sequel to the Battle City arc), which is still running.

Either way, I gather that the GX manga is indeed an adaptation of the anime. As for it being serialized in Shonen Jump USA:

1. The manga is only on chapter 7 in Japan.
2. There would be a problem if this ran alongside the Ancient Egypt arc, which is still going in the US magazine. I am hoping they will at least make the rest of Ancient Egypt GN only.
3. If the GX manga started in February, then that would make the difference between the Japanese debut and the U.S. debut to small. In other words, it may have been created with the (eventual) intention to run it in the U.S. Jump, which means that this manga may have been Viz's idea in the first place...
IceyLonePhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even know there was a manga. I thought Takahashi quit after the Millennium World arc.

He did technically...though he has some involvement with the YuGiOh R (it's an Alternate Universe series basically) come too think of it...that's been running for awhile, why don't they do that one instead of *shudders* GX ? Why Viz...whyyyyyyyyyyy X_x.....! And if they can't get R...get another series, one that's worth it...
Killerfly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

Well, the secret message in the puzzle in the September issue spells out "Gin tama is coming". That's all we know. I really would like Viz to finally start translating the rest of tha manga.
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX was pretty good. But a manga adaptation...? Probubly not so good.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is only a batty mistake and they really mean they'll be serializing Yu-Gi-Oh! R...
IceyLonePhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Let us all pray they mean that..
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Yeah. Viz said it at their AX panel, but none of the anime news sites picked it up.

TheTRO:
Quote:
. There would be a problem if this ran alongside the Ancient Egypt arc, which is still going in the US magazine.

Methinks they'd just publish that arc in TPB form, but I could be wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3