• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YTV Applies To Launch Anime Channel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I literally screamed when I heard it on TV. I was actually just making dinner Embarassed (I was playing DDR at a friends house) and I thought that it was a weather warning! When I heard the words 'anime channel', I could have burst eardrums with my lungs! I really hope that everything goes through. I know that it would be an EXTREMELY popular channel... But, *sigh* I must now start trying to convince my mother to get digital again... LONG LIVE ANIME!
PS. All of us Canadian Otaku should send them an email to do our part in support... I definately am!
analogk37

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, first it was rock music. Then it was the Republicans. Now Canada has its own Anime Channel on YTV...

... time to move to the GWN! Laughing
Defiant7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting turn of events. I guess we will have to see what the CRTC has to say. I am hoping for the best. It would be nice to have some more Anime options.
pknecron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Damn, go YTV! Hope the CRTC isn't anal about this and lets them go for it. The only problem I see is Canadian content laws, which are kinda hard to get past with anime.
kushiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm nervous it'll get rejected because Canada already has two dedicated children channels. Yes, I know YTV applied for a license for adult oriented anime, but then the conservatives will raise hell over 'adult' and 'animation' in the same sentence. Plus the CRTC just granted a license to G4 for some entertainment programming, which we all know was partly to show anime, and Razer is getting into the act. Also, last I heard, some Shaw users could get Anime Network.

On the other hand, it should get points in the Canadian content requirement department, because I thought Bandai's stuff got through because it was headquartered in BC and was Ocean dubbed (well, back in the day of DBZ, GW and Escaflowne).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
This could be a good thing and a bad thing. On one hand, I'm excited because us Canadians would get our own anime channel and be able to catch the reruns of everything. On the other hand, YTV might pull anime directly off its schedule and the channel would only be put in select places; I can't get cable where I live!
kushiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
On the other hand, YTV might pull anime directly off its schedule and the channel would only be put in select places; I can't get cable where I live!

There's no way this wouldn't be on cable. Any speciality channels basically go on cable by default.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
On the other hand, YTV might pull anime directly off its schedule and the channel would only be put in select places; I can't get cable where I live!

There's no way this wouldn't be on cable. Any speciality channels basically go on cable by default.
I meant it probably wouldn't be on my satellite. The problem is: (read above)
TcDohl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh... Teletoon missed the boat... on anime in general. Well, any opportunity to bash Teletoon, the every-type-of-animation-except-anime station, huh?

Well, I'm absolutely thrilled at this, but man, I wonder how much it's going to cost to subscribe to the channel. I think that the CRTC is going to let this pass, because they've given G4 the go-ahead to show anime, coupled with the success of the anime channels Stateside.

Another set of questions arise -- Will they be showing dubs only, or some subs as well? What company (or companies) will supply the Anime Channel's programming? Will Teletoon ever realize that people like anime? Well, we can only speculate now.
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
Ahhh... Teletoon missed the boat... on anime in general. Well, any opportunity to bash Teletoon, the every-type-of-animation-except-anime station, huh?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that for a while. I mean they used to show anime. I remember Cardcaptors and Macross but now there's nothing.

But I'm pretty happy about this even though I never watch Anime on TV. This is a good step. I love you YTV!
flip
Protoculture Addicts Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Here is YTV application at the CRTC (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Hearings/2006/n2006-10.htm#14):

“14. Across Canada
Application No. 2005-1259-2

Application by YTV Canada, Inc. for a licence to operate a national Category 2 English-language specialty programming undertaking to be known as The Anime Channel.

The applicant states that the programming will consist of the animated programming genre known as "anime" and anime-related programming. Typical "anime" themes or genres include Ninja and other martial arts, supernatural or horror, romance and science fiction. Programming on this service will be targeted exclusively to adults over the age of 18.

The applicant further states that a minimum of 65% of the broadcast year will consist of anime programs and a maximum of 35% of the broadcast year will be anime-related programs.

The applicant proposes to offer programming from the following categories: 2(a), 7(a), 7(b), 7(c), 7(d), 7(e), 7(g), 11, 12, 13 and 14 as set out in Schedule I of the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990.

The applicant proposes that a minimum of 85% of programs will fall under category 7(d), 7(e) and 7(g), with no more than 15% of the program schedule dedicated to information based programs in which The Anime Channel will explore the world of the anime fan.”

Now it remains to know what's a Category 2, 7, etc. But that's quite interesting. Hopefully, our wishes will be granted by the CRTC...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hope you lucky Canadians don't mind a question from your very southern cousin.

How might this affect the North American anime industry in general if it goes through? Is it likely to increase the number of titles being licensed since the market for entertainment in Canada isn't the same as in the United States? (It only stands to reason that there might be some series which might be viewed as having better legs in Canada than down here.)

Anyway, I'm rooting for you guys! Hope everything goes through okay!
JyL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
I am intrigued.

I remember when YTV used to show Escaflowne and Gundam Wing, and then over the years it blossomed into a Friday Night anime block. Only a matter of time they realized the people want their anime enough to give us an entire channel.

I hope they bring in some more series outside of the generic Shounan types. I was pretty surprised they did Witch Hunter Robin a year or so ago, wouldn't mind having more slightly obscure titles like that in the lineup.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
flip wrote:
Now it remains to know what's a Category 2, 7, etc. But that's quite interesting. Hopefully, our wishes will be granted by the CRTC...

The programming categories are (a minimum of 85% of programming will fall under bolded categories):
2(a) -- analysis and interpretation
7(a) -- ongoing dramatic series
7(b) -- ongoing comedy series (sitcoms)
7(c) -- specials, mini-series, made-for-TV feature films
7(d) -- theatrical films aired on TV
7(e) -- animated television programs and films
7(g) -- other drama

11 -- general entertainment and human interest
12 -- interstitials
13 -- public service announcements
14 -- informercials, promotional and corporate videos

Smile
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
My reaction is mixed. I'd love to see this happen, but at the same time the last thing I want is for anime programming to dissapear from mainstream stations like YTV in favour of a specialty station that only people who are already anime fans will watch.

I'm going to work on my comment for this soon. One recommendation I'm going to strongly harp upon is for the station to offer a significant portion of programming in Japanese with English subtitles. That will both ensure that the programming stays fixated on meeting audience demand, and ensure that dubbed programming will still flourish on conventional broadcasters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5