• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect / Pointless / Poignant Quotes.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
We all know that there are some real interesting posts out there that can make for a serious laugh or at least a hearty chuckle, especially when they're quoted out of context. However, if you're going to highlight a real doozey of a humdinger or a mess of mangled logic, please show the original poster or target a minimum level of respect by leaving their name out of any quotes that can reasonably be interpreted as something other than congratulatory. Obviously that also includes not linking back to the original post in those cases. This thread is about having a laugh, not kicking people off the island.

Here's one example to get us started...

abunai wrote:
You know, it often pays to actually read a thread before posting a comment. It protects you from the pain and embarrassment of auto-pwnage.

As you can see, some of the best zingers still come from the old hands here. In this case I left off the name of the target because this quote is a bit on the harsh side even though it had me in stitches. Ouch!

And some more...

Hisdon wrote:
Animefreak6969 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
Animefreak6969 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Animefreak6969 wrote:
OMG Mario and Luigi just LEFT MY HOUSE!!!

With candy? Laughing

nope, with a big hammer and messed up overalls

did he leave through your sewage system?

he tried, thats how he got his overalls messed up

guess he raided your fridge for mushrooms before he tried to leave...

That had me going for a fair bit.

Quote:
And when I've got pimples on my forehead, it almost looks like I'm growing a horn. Yeah I'd say I relate to Naota a lot.

Oh man, I could just keep this up forever.

Last edited by daxomni on Wed May 07, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll give it a go, and present for your entertainment a bit of toilet humor.

In a discussion about the raving Naruto fans at her college,
aya_honda wrote:
I can't escape them because there are some years before I get my diploma. I just came from the college and I had the funiest and saddest scene in my life. Two girls on toilet seats, discussing through the separate wall about how sweet is a guy from Naruto (forget the name though; it's a shame). My last refuge is terminated. Crying or Very sad

I just thought she found a great way to express her dilemna. Thanks, aya_honda for making me laugh with that one.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Courtesy of Tony K.:
The disclaimer that you should've seen before actually posting this wrote:
Please keep in mind that this article is 3.49 years old... it's kinda late to discuss it.

Always brings some of the best ways to lock a thread Laughing
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Daxomni, I know that the quote you took from Abunai-sama was directed at me, but honestly, I didn't pay any attention Razz.

So you can put the target's name in it Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Daxomni, I know that the quote you took from Abunai-sama was directed at me, but honestly, I didn't pay any attention Razz.

I'm hurt. Really.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:

I'm hurt. Really.

- abunai

I was expecting a more interesting word, like lugubrious =(.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
abunai wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:

I'm hurt. Really.

- abunai

I was expecting a more interesting word, like lugubrious =(.

Were you? Oh, all right. Can't disappoint my fans.

"I am disconsolate. Truly."

Better?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Well, I'll give it a go, and present for your entertainment a bit of toilet humor.

In a discussion about the raving Naruto fans at her college,
aya_honda wrote:
I can't escape them because there are some years before I get my diploma. I just came from the college and I had the funiest and saddest scene in my life. Two girls on toilet seats, discussing through the separate wall about how sweet is a guy from Naruto (forget the name though; it's a shame). My last refuge is terminated. Crying or Very sad

I just thought she found a great way to express her dilemna. Thanks, aya_honda for making me laugh with that one.

Never thought that actually I would get quoted here but... oh, well... glad to have made you laugh, ManOfRust. Wink Smile
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
All I could think of was Man-Faye and how much I looked like him.

LOL!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
I confess, this quote didn't come from this forum, but it's the kind of stuff that'll drive someone to drink... (All colors and sizing is authentic)
Quote:
LANGUAGE EXPLANATION:
I type the way I speek hunyah. I speak in broken Japanglish anoneh and I LIIIIIKE TO HOOOOOOOLD OUUUUUUT My VOOOOOWEEEELS... ... just for emphasis and extra brain bleedage. In this world of (hayakusugirune>!) fastly approaching adult-hood, why not savor the last bits of your random insanity .... lest you turn into one of those freaky 45 year old men who talks like an otaku.... and still wears his naruto shirts to work.. ,<;;-;;> THATS SCARRY!
No, the post is what's scary, and "hayakusugiru" should be "hayasugiru," I believe...

EDIT @ frentymon: これは女の子の言葉だよ Not too surprising, is it?

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
"hayakusugiru" should be "hayasugiru," I believe...

Yeah, "hayakusugiru" sounds really hen.

If this otoko wants to speak in Japanglish dake, he should at least write the Japanese words correctly to omoimasu...mattaku!
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:

I'm hurt. Really.

- abunai

Well, that just comes to prove that I am a stone-cold evil woman Anime hyper... But I didn't mean to offend you. If I did, then please accept my sincere apologies *falls to her knees pleading for forgiveness*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
It kind of pains me to admit that the green quoted post above does possess something resembling a point. Savor the last bits of your random insanity so you won't regret it later on? Nice idea.

The act seem almost satirical when the passage is deprived of its context!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ok, the quote that stucked in my head for quite sometime belongs to Tony K and it was his answer to a thread called Is there gonna be more Fruits Basket?????

Tony K wrote:
Quote:
I am really tired of these "will there be more [whatever] anime?" threads. Just wait. If you can't, then go freeze yourself in criostasis for about 50 years. By then, you'll either get more of your Fruits Basket anime, or I'll be long gone from this site and not have to deal with this crap. It's a win/win situation.

The thread was locked (obviously) and I remember that it was at the beginning of my experience on this forum so I had two reactions. The first one: I was amused by his suggestion (criostasis Smile ) The second one: I got scared by the vehement way in which he ended this thread. (I spent since then quite some time on this forum but the fear hasn't left me. Embarassed )
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
The thread was locked (obviously) and I remember that it was at the beginning of my experience on this forum so I had two reactions. The first one: I was amused by his suggestion (criostasis Smile ) The second one: I got scared by the vehement way in which he ended this thread. (I spent since then quite some time on this forum but the fear hasn't left me. Embarassed )

Sorry, I was feeling a bit tense that day Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. No real harm meant. But yeah, I've seen a lot of Berserk, Hellsing, Tenjou Tenge, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Panic!, Inu Yasha, and 12 Kingdoms continuation threads asking when the next season will come out.

In the special case of Hellsing, though, you have the OAVs now. While not everyone may have known at first, it does prove that a continuation or a new start from scratch can happen.

The point is that people need to learn to be more patient and accept things in life for what they are. If it happens, it happens. That's my philosophy, and that's why I always end up locking those types of threads. Again, I apologize if I scared you Wink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 105