• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Loses $256k in Q3

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
Let the schadenfreude commence...
shh227

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yay! Very Happy
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
Of course, they're still making a profit. It when they get in the red (or is it black? I don't know which is the bad color) that I'll be interested.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Of course, they're still making a profit. It when they get in the red (or is it black? I don't know which is the bad color) that I'll be interested.

Red is the "bad" color, black is the "good" color in accounting
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Bushwack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Red ink = bad, Black ink = good.
Before computers, accountants and bookkeepers recorded positive numbers in black and negative numbers in red.

There is place for 4kids. A dark and smelly one.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:

Well, they were in the red for that quarter. Overall, for the year though, they're no where near being in the red.

As a result of this announced loss, the 4Kids Stock took a pretty big tumble on Friday morning, going from about $19 to about $17.70 overnight, and now it's down at $17.44

-t
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
shh227 wrote:
Yay! Very Happy

yeah i agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
If this tendency continues 4KIDS will dissapear, and that means uncersored anime
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
If I recall, didn't they already stop actively pursuing anime? It's highly doubtful 4Kids will just disappear regardless, this is a minor stumble and it'll take a lot more to kill a company of that size. Chances are if they really ever did get in to a messy situation they'd just get purchased and absorbed by another entity, their licenses and contracts along with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ivancho wrote:
If this tendency continues 4KIDS will dissapear, and that means uncersored anime

Um, not really. There will always be a market for censored anime, becuase there will always be parents who don't pay attention to what their kids watch and want the TV company to make the shows 'family-friendly' instead of having to explain why public baths aren't appropriate in the US and that grandpa drinking too much booze is bad, or what-have-you.

In the unlikely event 4KIDS does die, a new evil-edit-company will rise from the ashes for people to pick at. The best possible senario is titles currently in the 4KIDS stable might get let loose and picked up by a company that does uncensored releases (One Piece comes to mind.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4Kids CEO Al Kahn cited declining revenue from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, though he noted the release of the Turtles CGI film in March 2007 should increase its value again.

How so? The last successful movie in the series was 15 years ago.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
4Kids CEO Al Kahn cited declining revenue from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, though he noted the release of the Turtles CGI film in March 2007 should increase its value again.

How so? The last successful movie in the series was 15 years ago.

maybe the awesome CGI affects and cool butt kicking ninja action story will lure kids to the theaters and kick up big sells!

heh. i hope it bombs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, with all the negative emotions people on this forum project toward them, it's no surprise that 4Kids is having some problems. Not enough to kill them unfortunately. At least, not if they take corrective actions that actually work.

Al Kahn has never struck me as a particularly smart guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have additional and more serious problems in the future.

They seem to have been trending downward lately.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It's going to bomb on the basis that it hasn't had a major audience since the early 90s. The merchandise does ok, but it's nowhere near its peak.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
my spidey sense tells me that viva pinata(the game) will be mediocre and that viva pinata(the show) will be sub-par as is all properties currently in 4kids deck.

then again im cynical about most things till i see them but i've seen Rare and they have lost my good graces after the 927,506th banana i had to find in Donkey kong 64.

honestly if i never saw 4kids or anything they touch again i would be none the wiser. i don't think they'll go out of business until a few years down the road. those who remember how hard it was to find the pokemon card game when they were little will probably agree that 4kids has enough money to last them a while.

fawhoooosh!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8