• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Shinichiro Watanabe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. Watanabe definitely seems like one of the most congenial directors out there. Very down to earth and genuine.

I think it's a very interesting and ambitious concept that he's planning for Space Dandy. Basically like a pseudo-anthology series at least in terms of style and design. Of course, it'll probably be hit and miss as these things are but if he gets some good talent involved it should be very interesting to watch week to week.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
This was a interesting interview, thanks for putting this up ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I would love to sit and chat with Shinichiro Watanabe one day.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the anti-moe brigade will be upset their idol is resorting to fanservice now with Space Dandy's boob gags Laughing
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Great man. I am so looking forward to his new show. Bebop and Champloo had some very funny moments that worked quite well, timing wise. And there's nothing wrong with getting another Space Cowboy.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
I wonder if the anti-moe brigade will be upset their idol is resorting to fanservice now with Space Dandy's boob gags Laughing

If you look at his previous works you will see that there were a lot boob jokes there(of the top of my head Samurai Champloo episode1 ),so I dont see how anyone could be surprised that he is now "resorting to fanservice".
Anyways this project is now even more interesting than before.Seeing how some retro projects Yamato or Jojo were successful ,hopefully it will mean that Space Dandy will be a success too.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Yeah maybe. I don't really know. I mean I don't really have a problem with boob gags so long as there's an actual gag. So I really don't mind. Then again, I get the impression that you spend far more time than anyone else contemplating what would annoy people so I'll defer to your expertise.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Very nice interview, great to hear more of his thoughts.

I'm definitely very excited for his show, the wait until January is going to be tough.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Dumb nerd tribalism, check. Thanks forums user lostrune.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote
Interesting Interview! I'm really looking forward to this since as others have said, Bebop and Shamploo did have their hilarious episodes. Also I too hope that in the future that we would get some more anime original works, since it'd be very nice to not have to worry about source material as I usually do (I'm usually a nutcase about such things) I couldn't give less shits about "breaking the moe-mold" or whatever crap people like to toss around that's similar, since at the end of the day, all I'm really asking for is something I truly find entertaining and that can come in a variety of ways. So I'm looking forward to the way Space dandy decides to do it.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Fanservice isn't bad, as long as it isn't shoved down our throats like in those crappy Fairy Tail OVAs.
albanian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel that current animation trends are a bit toned down. Things could be bigger and more extravagant in anime. That's what I'd like to express. I feel like I want to make anime that destroys the norms, something that would be strong even if it is unconventional. I want to do things that other people haven't done before, and not get trapped up in those "this has to be done this way" sorts of ideas.

From 95% of anime directors I would think that this was fanciful posturing or just the sort of bluster for 'Pseuds Corner'. But from Watanabe, I find myself getting really quite interested. Bring it on!

lostrune wrote:
I wonder if the anti-moe brigade will be upset their idol is resorting to fanservice now...

Err... Faye Valentine, anyone?
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sounds like he wants to make his own version of Excel Saga. Nothing wrong with that.

But I wish Shinichiro would come back to make some more serious anime in the future. Bebop and Champloo were at their best when serious!

Last edited by RGaspar on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

What the balls are you talking about? Fanservice is nothing new to Watanabe or his work. Bebop and Champloo had plenty.
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Watanabe is a KISS fan? That's kind of funny considering he has become known for having fantastic music with his shows.

Though "God Gave Rock n Roll to You" is a bodacious song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2