• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boogiepop Phantom - Worth all the talk?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:05 am Reply with quote
Is this anime worth my 67 dollars. on www.dvdpricesearch.com they have the Boogiepop Phantom box set for only 67 dollars. I like really wierd animes like FLCL, EVA (fav.), Lain, Ect. On your review you said it has nice sounds and everything but i want to here from the people. Was it really scary? Was it wierder than Lain? Is it worth the money?
mike3560

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:10 am Reply with quote
Bizzare's a very good word for it. Creepy also comes to mind.

I've only caught the first 4 episodes, but thinking about seeing the rest. From what I've watched, the writing is excellent. All the plots are intertwined in such a way that what seem like incidental occurrences in one episode is a major focal point in another.

But you'll/we'll have to watch the whole thing more than once to understand everything that's happened...
If then.
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:14 am Reply with quote
In the new animerica it says that a part of it is so violent that some director guy had nightmares!! i got to check it out now!!
Neilworms

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:21 am Reply with quote
This series is very well worth your time. I haven't seen it the whole way through (I've only seen vol 1 and the first ep of vol 2), but it is looking to be an interesting well-thought series.

While at first it seems like a ripoff of Lain, it is different enough to be considered it's own entity. Boogiepop has a lot more focus on all of its characters than Lain. It also is a lot creepier, more of the trippy sequences are used to buld suspense, and fear in this series. It definetly is more psychological thriller than philosphy.

Hopefully it won't be booged down by a disappointing ending like, IMO, Evangelion was.
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:24 am Reply with quote
I loved the end of EVA, the last 2 eps. kicks major ass. it would have been fine if EoE was never made. But EoE is my fav. movie so what the heck. Im gonna order boogiepop tomorrow.
Stray Dog Strut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop is definitely worth checking out. The story is great, the music is awesome, and the artwork is nuts, it's everything you could want in an anime of the weird variety. The most outstanding thing in Boogiepop is that the art is so unique, it's done in shades of sepia and the corners are slightly blurred, it compliments the mood of the anime perfectly.
Boniface VIII

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop is a very good series if you're a fan of the Lain formula. Spooky, mysterious and vague for the first third, leading you into a false understanding of the plot for the second third and finally tying everything together at the cost of much mental anguish. I personally love this formula, and have made each volume of Boogiepop mine as soon as they were released.
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you everyone :D
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Boniface VIII wrote:

Boogiepop is a very good series if you're a fan of the Lain formula. Spooky, mysterious and vague for the first third, leading you into a false understanding of the plot for the second third and finally tying everything together at the cost of much mental anguish. I personally love this formula, and have made each volume of Boogiepop mine as soon as they were released.

I love this formula when its not lain; ie. when its not completely boring, lacking music or activity of any kind, and in some cases lacking animation.
SilkyAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I think Boogiepop is well worth at least checking out. I never saw that much of Lain, but I can say that my eyes were practicly glued to the screen when I watched it. I've definatly got to get the rest or it.
You either like it or ya hate it I guess. I loved it though. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope its REALLY scary. i have yet to see an anime that scares me. well i guess I've made up my mind and buy it thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1