• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
Neo-Verona, Romeo x Juliet
vs.
Legend of GH Milky Way, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

I love what I've seen of RomeoxJuliet, but I think that the Legend of GH Milky Way seems like a more well developed setting.

Group D-18
World of Castle in the Sky, Laputa: Castle in the Sky
vs.
Japan 2030, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex franchise

I'll give this to World of Castle in the Sky. I haven't seen either series, but for me the mere image of Laputa burns itself into my mind more than any particular part of the GITSAC word.

Group D-19
Gaea, The Vision of Escaflowne (TV series)
vs.
World of Pokemon, Pokemon franchise

Gaea It has a much more conrete and well established setting than the world of Pokemon does.

Group D-20
Daikuuriku, Simoun
vs.
Glie, Haibane Renmei

I haven't seen either, but I remember being really impressed with the things that people said about the worldbuilding of Glie I really enjoy subtle world building and it seems that Haibane Renmei does that.

Last edited by rosebrook11 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
Based on the write-up really, I have not sufficient knowledge of either, so I guess that will be my argument.

Group D-18
I will go with Laputa, although both have many merits. Laputa suffers from being a shorter movie and the world does not get the same exposure, but nevertheless we get quite a good glimpse of what it is and how it looks like. Miyazaki as always created a world that is visually stunning, sentimental, in which you can instantly immerse. The castle is impressive, beautiful but at the same time dangerous and potentially lethal to inhabitants of Earth. I found the blend of every day life and magic really well done and enjoyable.

Group D-19
There is a scene in Escaflowne with the two cat-girls singing a hypnotising song. It has been quite a few years ago since I watched, and I still remember it. The world created in Escaflowne is visually stunning, and the magic and science are interwoven in a beautiful way too. I have a bit of a soft spot for this sort of settings.

Group D-20
Daikuuriku, Simoun
For the first time ever I am going against the anime I have seen in favour of a one I am not familiar with. Simoun just seems a bit more complex and interesting based on the argument so far.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Current minigame scores.

Rosebrook is still holding on to first place, but the third round has taken a toll, and the rest of the pack (especially Olliff) have closed the lead a little.

Additionally, two contestants are out of the prize running, and two others can only hope for third.

My votes this round:

Group D-17
Neo-Verona, Romeo x Juliet vs.
Voting for: Galactic Heroes Milky Way
LoGH has the advantage of a huge amount of time with which to build its universe, but even so, I feel like a lot of the design of Neo-Verona is driven by what would make it aesthetically pleasing, rather than how it adds to the experience.

Group D-18
World of Castle in the Sky, Laputa: Castle in the Sky vs.
Voting for: Japan 2030
Haven't seen Laputa, and only somewhat familiar with GitS, but even just the concept potential of the latter greatly trumps what the former can do.

Group D-19
Gaea, The Vision of Escaflowne (TV series) vs.
Voting for: Pokemon
While it doesn't do much to explore the ideas about how a world of sentient animal/plant/other monsters are intrical to daily life, the setting still feels more unique than Gaea.

Group D-20
Daikuuriku, Simoun vs.
Glie, Haibane Renmei
Voting for: Glie
I haven't even seen Simoun, and yet this is still an agonizing choice. It may not be fair, but I can't vote against Glie here, despite Daikuuriku's outstanding merits. Haibane Renmei excels at cultivating ambiance, establishing a sense of both warmth and disuse in Old Home, and carefully, gradually revealing a number of truths about its world.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
Going with the one I haven't seen on the strength of the arguments and the show's reputation on this forum. Neo-Verona was only ever just an "okay" contestant for me anyway.

Group D-18
Like errinundra said, Laputa's setting takes a backseat to Sheeta and Pazu's adventures. Meanwhile, I always thought the setting was by far the most interesting thing about GitS:SAC. The show seems to agree with me, using the unique political and technological situations of its vision of Japan's future to explore interesting theoretical concepts like the eponymous stand-alone complex.

Group D-19
Gaea has a more interesting atmosphere than Pokemon, so I'll go with it in this round.

Group D-20
Glie, Haibane Renmei[/quote]
Toss-up for me, since there have been very strong arguments for Simoun, the show I haven't seen. I'll go with the one I have seen because its world-building is subtle and gradual, and Glie has a very unique feel to it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
thought I'd try being an hour earlier this time

Group D-17
Neo-Verona, Romeo x Juliet
vs.

I've seen RxJ and it has a very cool setting, but the write up and arguments for Galactic Heroes just seems far more interesting and fleshed out. Voting for Legend of GH Milky Way

Group D-18
vs.

voting for Japan 2030 piggybacking on what errinundra said. I've got nothing new to add

Group D-19
vs.

neither of these seem like strong candidates, so after a coin toss, I'm going to vote for Pokemon

Group D-20
Daikuuriku, Simoun
vs.
Glie, Haibane Renmei[/quote]

tough one. haven't seen Simoun, and I've almost finished Haibane Renmei Key's breakdown of key points doesn't make this any easier. I think I'll put my trust in what people are saying about the show and vote for Daikuuriku.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group D is now closed.

With a measly 12 votes registered, the results:

D-17: LOGH Milky Way scores a flawless victory over Neo-Verona, 12-0.
D-18: Japan 2030 outlasts World of Castle in the Sky, 7-5.
D-19: Gaea ousts World of Pokemon, 8-4.
D-20: Daikuuriku eliminates Glie, 9-3.

D-18 was competitive all round but none of the other matches were. Even though I voted the other way, I was actually happy to see Glie pick up a few votes, as it's too good a setting to go down to ignominious defeat.

Since Round 3 is now over it's time for. . .

Power Rankings: The Sweet Sixteen Edition!
As per norm, these are strictly based on % of possible votes gained:

1. Twelve Kingdoms, 0.944444
2. LOGH Milky Way, 0.928571
3. Amestris, 0.857143
4. Gold Crown Town, 0.827586
5. Land of the Beast Gods, 0.777778
6. Gaea, 0.772727
7. Daikuuriku, 0.772727
8. New Yogo Empire, 0.75
9. Bath House of the Gods, 0.75
10. Nausicaa's Post-Apoc Earth, 0.75
11. Humankind Empire Abh, 0.724138
12. Gargantia, 0.702128
13. Aqua, 0.666667
14. Prester, 0.655172
15. Japan 2030, 0.607143
16. World of Wolf's Rain, 0.472222

The green entries indicate the three survivors from the first round; last tournament I don't believe we had any still alive at this point. The two clearly on the top of the chart are not at all surprising but who's on the bottom of this list is, and I am also surprised that Gaea is as high as it is.

Next round will be up before I go to bed tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Groups A and B is now open!

As with last time around, we are going to pairing up Groups starting with this round so we can maintain four matches per round. This time we have the semifinals for both A and B. I will be especially interested to see how A-22 is argued.

Group A-21
Twelve Kingdoms, The Twelve Kingdoms
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

Group A-22
Land of the Beast Gods, Princess Mononoke
vs.
World of Wolf’s Rain, Wolf’s Rain

Group B-21
New Yogo Empire, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Bath House of the Gods, Spirited Away

Group B-22
Nausicaa’s Post-Apocalyptic Earth, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
vs.
Amestris, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
If I were to rate these eight worlds in order it would be as follows:

1. Aqua
2. New Yogo
3. The Twelve Kingdoms
4. Bath House of the Gods
5. Nausicaa's post-apocalyptic earth
6. Land of the Beast Gods
7. Amestris (on the basis of FMA only)
8. Wolf's Rain (haven't seen)

Now to provide some justification. Mmmm...

Group A-21
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

Voting for Aqua, Aria franchise. There's no doubt that the Twelve Kingdoms is thoroughly organised and politically coherent but, to mind it has two debilitating faults that I think preclude it from being in the absolute top rank:
1. The rules that set up the political structures of the kingdoms are too contrived. I know they are supposed to originate from a (very bureaucratic it seems to me) god but too often it seems to me that the creator of the story was trying too hard to come up with a just political system that was altogether different from the liberal democratic systems we are accustomed to. It's unnatural; too top-down. Real human beings wouldn't tolerate it - people at all levels of society would find the system altogether too arbitrary.
2. The twelve kingdoms are all the same. Just the rulers change. Ethnically, culturally, genetically everybody could belong to any of the kingdoms.

Aria is aiming to do something entirely different. It necessarily lacks the epic ambitions of the Twelve Kingdoms because it seeks to explore its world in intimate detail. Over its 50 odd episode this detail builds up to gentle grandeur that I think exceeds even the ambition of The Twelve Kingdoms.

Group A-22
vs.

Voting for Land of the Beast Gods, Princess Mononoke. I believe only one of the Miyazaki films should be progressing beyond this level (and it isn't this one) but the arguments for Wolf's Rain haven't been convincing so far. As in the last vote I'll stick with the contender with some merit that I know until someone provides an argument to convince me otherwise.

Group B-21
vs.

Voting for New Yogo Empire, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit. For me probably the least clearcut match-up. Both have fascinating fantasy worlds that are dramatic catalysts for the characters to work through their particular dramas. Moribito has ten hours to Spirited Away's two to tease out the intricacies of its world, which gives it the edge here.

Group B-22
vs.

Voting for Nausicaa’s Post-Apocalyptic Earth, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Admittedly I'm basing Amestris on my knowledge gleaned in the first series only. I thought the rules of alchemy (and how equivalent exchange was a metaphor on life generally) were very well done; that the huge cast of characters were memorably distinctive and the revelation of what existed beyond the gate was brilliant (although I believe it's quite different in FMA:B so I must discount that). Problem is the world itself - the physical terrain and general social structures - never seemed to combine into a meaningful whole. Deserts were there when needed; forests too; scary warehouses; troublesome characters; political crises. The background never seemed to have an unique atmosphere of its own.

In Nausicaa's world the environment and the world's social structure feeds into the story. While FMA could happen with any background and that background could be in countless other stories, Nausicaa's world is peculiar to the film and an integral part of the story telling.

(Ironically, if my votes reflect a general consensus then the best of the Ghibli films won't proceed further but the other two will.)

***Happy Christmas***
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
Group A-21
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

It's a no-brainer for me. Twelve Kingdoms has its own bestiary and politics that are interesting. I don't see a problem that it's too bureaucratic, as it's clearly inspired by Chinese system. Aqua, on the other hand, is a good world to go on vacation and make some nice photos, but it's not nearly as interesting as the world of Twelve Kingdoms.

Group A-22
vs.

Land of the Beast Gods I'm sticking to the one I know. I am also not convinced about the other one.

Group B-21
vs.

Bath House of the Gods is good, but New Yogo Empire has simply more time to develop an interesting world.

Group B-22
vs.

Nausicaa’s Post-Apocalyptic Earth because the arguments from previous rounds made me interested in this world.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Group A-21
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

The world of the Twelve Kingdoms is visually pleasing but is hardly as expansive as its name would suggest; If I recall correctly, once the show starts to look outside of the power struggle of its main kingdom, the series just about ends. Aqua is visually pleasing but would lead the viewer to believe that the only interesting place on the terraformed Mars is Neo-Venezia. Still, it is a tourist trap for a reason, its tranquil atmosphere not only obvious from the buildings and people but its very way of life itself. A fantasy world that tries very hard to be versus a science fiction setting that claims very little of the elements needed to make the journey from Earth to Mars.

It's a matter of precision, isn't it? Aqua over Twelve Kingdoms. The background for Aqua is partly there, mostly enough to remind you of where you aren't while the Twelve Kingdoms...

Quote:
The world is so well-realized it reads like historical fiction.

Yeah, this isn't for the novel series...

Group A-22
vs.

You know, I could have sworn I already make wolf comparisons already in the contest {for an extinct Japanese creature, they're pretty persistent} and yes, upon reviewing Wolf's Rain, wolves in human guise clearly have hands only when it's convenient, teeth and claw when it's suitably tragic. Still, I'm not much of a fan of "They're beast gods because they're really big" concept of beastly Gods {I see it more in Video Games than mythology or literature} and since they communicate with humans, you'd think they'd be led with a bit more rationality or be a bit more open to human thinking but maybe the environment message, no, sorry, environmental message... of a medieval fantasy setting... gets in the way. Oy, they're both parables, aren't they? Not to be taken literally or seriously as independent worlds. What to do...

The World of Wolf's Rain is all about the journey while the Land of the Beast Gods is more "What journey? They're all get together in the end anyway, humans and human thinking beast gods and beasts led by beast gods, what are you fretting about? Because, in the end, it's all about the people." Still, there's that deer-thing but that sole piece of the divine is hardly enough to sway me. The World of Wolf's Rain over the Land of the Beast Gods. Maybe if it was the Land of Really Big Beasts...

Group B-21
vs.

Ah, more Miyazaki Gods but they're actual gods this time, wise, tricky and unfathomable. Or stupid, lazy and forgetful. Regardless, they're all dirty and there's a lot of them but there's plenty of room at the Bath House of the Gods. Seriously, the place must have its own pocket universe inside its pocket dimension. Against that fanciful bit of imagination is one normal girl's coming of age story for the audience to get their bearings on "rationality". Against that combination is Stock Asian Fantasy setting number 3: China with monsters, hold the dragons. And like any Chinese combination plate, you're always hungry after its done. Bath House of the Gods over New Yogo Empire.

Group B-22
vs.

Amestris over Nausicaa's Post Apocalyptic world. Giant bugs will only take you so far, even if they carry you. The Ohmu are treated as a combination of force of nature and ravenous land god. Their design is fantastically memorable but I wouldn't say it's good when your main species supplanting the human race has all the outward personality of a brick wall. They don't have expressions facial or bodily and they're barely animate as well as animated; If it wasn't for the color of their eyes, they'd be rocks that charge occasionally. Against that world that could not and cannot possibly evolve is a world with a known past, a rewarding present and a hopeful future.

Quote:
Problem is the world itself - the physical terrain and general social structures - never seemed to combine into a meaningful whole. Deserts were there when needed; forests too; scary warehouses; troublesome characters; political crises. The background never seemed to have an unique atmosphere of its own.

And that's even without the frozen lands of Brigg's Wall, amazing. But if you link Xerxes to Persia and central Amestris to Germany, you get the ... I think the term was "Holy Roman Empire" and that was just half of the Roman Empire. Eurasia is like that, empires are like that. Especially empires led by despotic military regimes when they conquer in every direction until they get a nice uniform round shape.

Which goes with their nicely shaped uniforms...
Honestly, I could just say "I love the threads", it's the best designed uniform , fit for both heroes and villains with a stark military design reminiscent of "you know who" but using a nonthreatening color.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Group A-21

Arguments in previous rounds convince me to stick with this one instead of Aqua, though for me, at least, this may be the last round 12K gets my support, because of who the winner of this round will face off against.

Group A-22

This one was a lot harder than it would seemed, given that it's one of my all-time favourite anime series vs one of my all-time least favourite anime films. However, Mononoke's world is one that really stuck with me.

But Wolf's Rain sticks with me just as much, it has more time to be developed, and it's worldbuilding is done with a light touch, as opposed to Mononoke, which has the subtlety of a hammer to the head.

Group B-21

As I've said in previous rounds, Spirited Away didn't leave a great impression on me. Moribito sounds much more interesting, which is why it's one of the next up in my to-watch list.

Group B-22

Neither entry here has really impressed me in previous rounds but I'm going to go with FMA:B because again, it has more time to develop a world and what little I've seen of it has been interesting.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
Group A-21

I have seen bits of Aria and nothing of the Twelve Kingdoms, so I must base myself on the write-up and the arguments, and Twelve Kingdoms it will be.

Group A-22
Wolf's Rain's world over Mononoke hime.
I quite liked the idea of wolf's in human bodies. While transforming from a human to an animal and vice versa is not a unique idea, but I like the take it took. And during the journey, we discover a lot of the world they live in, with its various cities, towns and villages, all with their independent cultures and distinct characteristics. I live Mononoke Princess, but I think its world is nowhere near as complex, and the relationships between gods and human are a lot more straightforward than those between humans and wolves (or should I say humans, nobles and wolves).

Group B-21
Spirited Away has not made a great impression on me, I was a bit surptised to see it get so far. New Yogo Empire looks really exciting and this is where my vote will go.

Group B-22
Amestris, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood[/quote]

It pains me a bit to vote out three of Miyazaki's films out in favour of something else, but Armestris is just to good to vote against it. It is interesting on so many levels: first, the use of alchemy and dealing well with its potential benefits and risks it involves, not omitting the ethical problems, or the use of automail that also gets its more detailed portrayal. All that is set in a world with a really fleshed out politics, again we get exposed to various faces of Armestris politics, starting from the relationship between the 4 headquarters (and the Fort Briggs) with the Central, ending with an even more complex relationship with and between the various regions and cities conquered by Armestris, now being a part of the country. Each one of those places strives to maintain its distinct culture unique characteristics and values, the mine city of Youthwell, the automail-technology crazy Rush Valley, destroyed Ishvall, the impressive fortress of Briggs and the abandoned towns in the North. There is so much to explore.

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Group A-21
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

Aqua may have more sentimental and pathos driven power, but as far as complexity, depth and actual development Twelve Kingdoms has it beaten solidly. It's complex politics and many different factions are more fleshed out and interesting than the sometimes dull world of Aqua. Aqua is a good place to relax and live while 12 Kingdoms is far more ambitious, intriguing, and a better overall example of world building.

Group A-22
vs.

Land of the Beast Gods Wolf's Rain never struck me as having world building as its focus with it sometimes ambiguous and not fully formed approached to building its setting. As far as artistry and overall aesthetics LotBG outshines this world hugely. It's ecological line up of beasts is much more imaginative and distinctive than what Wolf's Rain has to offer and as far as worlds are consider the fact that is visually more adventurous and memorable puts it ahead soundly despite the lack of run time.

Group B-21
vs.

Bath House of the Gods is good and has strong visuals, but New Yogo Empire has simply more time to develop an interesting world, and came come close to matching Miyazaki's greatness while at the same time offering far more depth.

Group B-22
vs.

Again Miyazaki's creation has the edge in artistry but falls to the more complex and developed world found in Amestris There is just too much meat here to even edge out the mind blowing visuals and too commonly seen green party ecological message permeating Miyzaki's films. Amerestris is also more fun and seems more approachable than the sometimes heavy handed left-wing spoon feeding preaching propaganda in Nausiacaa. Again my biases may be at play, but the merits of Amestris are strong and I also believe that the factions and conflicts are more complex in FMA:B than the more linear one found in Nausicaa which is also a deciding factor.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Six votes.

Ouch.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Group A-21
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

Aqua certainly is pretty and unique, but I feel like The Twelve Kingdoms has it's worldbuilding more directly tied to its story and uses its story to engage the viewer in the worldbuilding experience.

Group A-22
vs.

Both of these worlds are well done, but Land of the Beast Gods doesn't get enough time to develop its story. The visuals alone give the viewer a good sense of the world, but The World of Wolf's Rain uses its longer run time to develop its world in a subtle way so that the viewer gradually becomes able to learn about the structure of the society that the characters live in and how the folklore integrates itself into that society.

Group B-21
vs.

New Yogo Empire gets my vote because even though I have only seen one episode, that one episode alone combined with the arguments that everyone else has made has me convinced that it does a better job at world building than Spirited Away.

Group B-22
vs.

I for one don't find Nausicaa to have as original or as compelling a setting as the otehr Miyazaki films that were in this tournament. Amestris gets my vote here because I love how it develops the different sections of the country in a unique manner and has them all connect with one another in some way. Briggs, Lior and Central are all completely different from one another, and all are very well developed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 34