• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Updates on Planned Ninja Scroll Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Let's hope they stay as far away from the God-awful TV series as possible.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
I really appreciate how close this animation style looks to the original movie. Hope this actually gets made properly.
VinceA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
This is the sort of project that I would donate to in a big way on Kickstarter. If the US is where the project hit big, get the money from there directly. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
They really should leave Ninja scroll be. Ninja resurrection, the semi sequel is maybe one of the worst animated films ever made. And the tv show was just as bad. Ninja Scroll just worked when it came out, but I can't really see them doing anything now that would live up to the original.
grouwl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Makai Tensho (Ninja resurrection but actually translated as "The Demon's Resurrection") wasn't a semi sequel, it wasn't even done by the same staff, Hell, it wasn't about anything "Jubei ninpucho" was about, One was Jubei Kibagami (dude for hire) while the other was Yaguy Jubei (Legendary samurai, ever heard of Samurai shodown? yeah he's there) if you fell for ADV's scam of "This is totally the sequel" then you can't really blow smoke about that one.

Amuse Video was supposed to make 4 parts of "Makai Tensho" but the sales were so poorly due to the extreme violence and content that they never even started production of the later two, japanese wikipedia makes miracles Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
They really should leave Ninja scroll be. Ninja resurrection, the semi sequel is maybe one of the worst animated films ever made. And the tv show was just as bad. Ninja Scroll just worked when it came out, but I can't really see them doing anything now that would live up to the original.

It's sad to know that all these years later there are still people who think Ninja Resurrection was related to Ninja Scroll. ADV really did their job well, I guess.

Anyway, Ninja Resurrection (originally titled Makai Tensho in Japan) was a completely different production than Ninja Scroll. It had none of the same major staff, were based on different creators (Ninja Scroll was an original creation, while "Resurrection" was based on a novel by Futaroh Yamada), & wasn't even done by Madhouse (Phoenix Animation did it). Was "Resurrection" maybe visually influenced by Ninja Scroll? Maybe but that would be the only similarity.

All ADV did was take advantage of Ninja Scroll's popularity & the fact that both leads were named Jubei (though Ninja Scroll was an original character named Jubei Kibagami, while "Resurrection" featured the legendary Jubei Yagyu), and they made a new logo & title that looked extremely similar to that of Ninja Scroll. In other words, ADV purposefully confused fans to help sell this two-episode OVA. As for Ninja Scroll TV, it had essentially nothing to do with the original production; no returning staff or even voice actors (in either Japanese or English).

An actual sequel to Ninja Scroll lead & created by the man who did the original would easily be worth the wait, as it's the only thing that Kawajiri wants to direct at this point in this life; he'll give nothing but his absolute best.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
yep, that's definitely Ninja Scroll.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Jubei I miss you so much.

I hope for the best on this project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1