• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Light novel reviews?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Have the staff at ANN ever thought about reviewing light novels? I know there are barely any released in the US (or outside of Japan really), but since a lot of anime are based off of light novels, has there been any thought to review the few light novels that have been released?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
There have been the odd reviews of novels, light or otherwise, e.g.

Junk Force are light novels (they were illustrated by Eiji Komatsu) and Theron reviewed, for some reason, Volume 3 (ironically, the last of 5 volumes to be translated into English - note that the image in the review is from the 3rd Manga cover).

I believe Gosick was also a light novel and Carlos reviewed Tokyopop's first volume.

If you go to the full reviews list and search in the page for "novel" you will find some more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Carlo and I also both reviewed three of the Book Girl novels between us, and I also did a volume of Kieli. I believe Theron reviewed some of the Spice and Wolf novels as well.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
There was also a review of the Strawberry Panic novel omnibus.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
We do them for time to time. In addition to the above, I have also reviewed the first Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya novel, all of the Crest of the Stars novels that got released, most/all of the Boogiepop novels that got released, one .hack// novel, the original Moribito novel, and a few others that I don't think technically classify as light novels - a few of the Vampire Hunter D novels, all of The Twelve Kingdoms novels that actually got released, and an OMG novel, for instance. I may come back and do some of the later Spice and Wolf novels at some point, as that series is still being released and I'm still reading it (book 11/16 is due next month, I believe), but I stopped doing every one partly because my comments about them were starting to get repetitive.

I would be happy to do more of them if more came out and I try to keep an eye out for them. For instance, I fully intend to take a crack at the SAO novel when it comes out in the States next month, and I'd be all over the Fate/Zero novel if that ever gets released.

(And for the record, that Junk Force novel got done because it was a random item in a mailer I got.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I would be happy to do more of them if more came out and I try to keep an eye out for them. For instance, I fully intend to take a crack at the SAO novel when it comes out in the States next month, and I'd be all over the Fate/Zero novel if that ever gets released.

I feel the same - if more came out, I'd absolutely review more. I may still do the final Book Girl and Kieli novels if there's any interest in them. In any event, I plan on reviewing the Alice in the Country of ______ light novel when Seven Seas gets that out, and probably others that seem to be on the horizon.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Count me as being very interested in such reviews. (of course, I'm actually in the process of ordering them, but nevertheless..... Rolling Eyes )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1