• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix's Light Novel Project Revealed as School Girl Strikers iPhone RPG

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
I... I really don't know what to say. Square-Enix.... seriously? Shocked
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
Announce an all star cast, waste it on ios. Square you disappoint me.
Xagor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
So, which of the several quiet looking girls is Kana Hanazawa? (Not that I'm typecasting her at all...)

I really don't think this was what people were expecting from Square Enix.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that this is just a phone project. The idea is too stupid for a real game.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
"That's no good"- Sonic the Hedgehog

SE you dolts, this could've been a nice 3DS title on the eshop maybe a PSN only Vita title, no wonder you are becoming seriously irrelevant in the gaming industry. You don't understand what anyone wants anymore and it's sad, even Bandai Namco is starting to wake up that they are neglecting the console/handheld market and there needs to be more games on them.

Last edited by Hoppy800 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Now you know what it's like to suddenly realise you're growing old. Problem is this realisation is mission creeping to a younger and younger threshold. However having said that what are the odds that Apple have their sticky finger in this pie? Wink
Rychy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
This project sounded interesting when I heard about it earlier ... but now knowing it's a free to play iOS game. Oh well.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Waiting for our resident apologists to tell us this is cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ehhh people, this is for the JP market which these type of games sell well over there. Just remember NA isn't the center of the world
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the nature of the project, I see this as taking advantage of the trend of reading electronic manga on phones, which I would do too if I were spending long commutes on bus/subway like Japan does.

Mohawk52 wrote:
However having said that what are the odds that Apple have their sticky finger in this pie? Wink

Yeah it IS strange that they would release only on iOS, especially considering it's free but they plan to make money from additional items. You would think very simple software (compared to actual games) specifically made for otaku, would be multi-platform at least. But who knows, maybe they will release it on Android and maybe others later.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha....... they're not even disguising this in their title, are they? Laughing
(Sounds like a pr0n title Cinemax aka Skinemax came up with.)
Jave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
SE you dolts, this could've been a nice 3DS title on the eshop maybe a PSN only Vita title, no wonder you are becoming seriously irrelevant in the gaming industry. You don't understand what anyone wants anymore and it's sad

Mobile gaming is getting pretty big in Japan. SquareEnix has been dominating mobile devices for awhile now. It was reported they hold half the Top 10 quite a bit. You can dislike mobile gaming if you want but you shouldn't say they're ignorant of what people want. Sales are showing they know exactly what people want Laughing Just because you dont like it doesn't mean it's bad. This seems like a pretty good move for Square given their past success with mobile devices.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

SE you dolts, this could've been a nice 3DS title on the eshop maybe a PSN only Vita title, no wonder you are becoming seriously irrelevant in the gaming industry. You don't understand what anyone wants anymore and it's sad, even Bandai Namco is starting to wake up that they are neglecting the console/handheld market and there needs to be more games on them.
No they don't. These mobile games are good money makers I bet, but mobile games sure don't come close to actual full fledged games.

Anyway, their recent talks inspire confidence that they may start getting it. People outside of Japan actually like Japanese games! Crazy I know, but apprantly they needed Bravely Defualt's solid success to tell them that. Maybe we'll actualy see Square make core games again other then FF.

Maybe also they won't force their western developers to chase some unrealistic audience.

I mean they turned 14 around. They ran XIII into the ground and while that has some pros and cons, at least it showed that they take some feedback.

The mobile games aren't going anywhere obviously, but hopefully they actually make other games for their fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

No they don't. These mobile games are good money makers I bet, but mobile games sure don't come close to actual full fledged games.

Anyway, their recent talks inspire confidence that they may start getting it. People outside of Japan actually like Japanese games! Crazy I know, but apprantly they needed Bravely Defualt's solid success to tell them that. Maybe we'll actualy see Square make core games again other then FF.

Maybe also they won't force their western developers to chase some unrealistic audience.

I mean they turned 14 around. They ran XIII into the ground and while that has some pros and cons, at least it showed that they take some feedback.

The mobile games aren't going anywhere obviously, but hopefully they actually make other games for their fans.

There's other players besides the hardcore fans out there and they're paying with it with money but mainly the JP market. There's a TON of mobile games from namco, capcom, etc that was never release here since they understand the JP market.

People like you shows that there wouldn't be releases here because of the negative attitude towards mobile games
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

There's other players besides the hardcore fans out there and they're paying with it with money but mainly the JP market. There's a TON of mobile games from namco, capcom, etc that was never release here since they understand the JP market.

People like you shows that there wouldn't be releases here because of the negative attitude towards mobile games
ok and?

It's already a shame(or maybe it isn't) that they don't bring over their mobile games. Yet I didn't say anything about them stop making them.

Yes, there's more then core gamers(don't think I said their weren't), but core gamers are a thing. Something Square has done a terrible job with. On consoles it's been nothing but FF XIII games of arguable success. On handhelds it's only been a bit better. Hopefully Square changes things and we got some more core games and better FF games.
Quote:

Well first, I very much doubt my mind view is some prevalent thing. Is their a market for them? I don't know or care. I'm not interested in mobile games and nothing tells me I should be. Not Square with its f2p garbage. Either way, I don't make the rules and didn't ask them to stop making them. So don't get pissy at me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2