• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Feel The Heat

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
'Cosgrove' is the perfect name for that dog.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
And I thought "Magna" or "Alucard" or "Hellsing" was good enough....
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
spoiler for air gear manga as the anime did not make it far enough.spoiler[akito/agito has both eyes working]
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Funimation moved away from the complete Freemium model they used to have though. Now some are free ad-supported episodes hosted on Hulu and others are paid only (anything with the "E" logo for Elite video subscriptions).

I sort of see some pattern, like latest episodes are paid, then becomes free, then all episodes becomes paid again for the home video version, but it doesn't hold true everywhere, so I wonder how they decide which is which.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about this is, EricJ2 actually knocked some sense into me before my question got answered.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for answering my question Answerman and for encouraging me to post pictures. I'm so excited about my new doggy. He's such a sweetie and loves everyone... kids, adults, cats. He's around 3 years old.

I rescued him from a wonderful organization called The Dog Spot in California.

I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions. And no, the name doesn't necessarily have to be from an anime, but it would be fun combining two of my favorite things (animals and anime). The one thing it can't be is "One Eyed Jack" because I already have a cat named Jack.

Thanks!

Here are some images...

SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
He's a shaggy little guy. Perhaps you could call him "Captain Hairlock"? Laughing

You should see if he'll take to wearing an eyepatch. I'd think it'd make him look rather dashing.

Anyways, congrats on your new doggeh. I hope he brings you many years of joy, whatever you decide to name him. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Here are some images...

Aww the dog is adorable. Congrats!!! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
No small amount of eyepatch wearning anime characters:
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com/tags.php?id=410

maximilianjenus wrote:
spoiler for air gear manga as the anime did not make it far enough.spoiler[akito/agito has both eyes working]

I've never read the manga and came to the forum to point out the same thing.

spoiler[It is made obvious by the fact that his personality switches depending on which eye the patch covers. If both eyes weren't working, one personality would be blind.]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Doraemon's chances at mainstream success in the US, I'm skeptical.

It'll probably end up being a "cult" kid anime like Tokyo Pig.
srlracing

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Thank you so much for answering my question Answerman and for encouraging me to post pictures. I'm so excited about my new doggy. He's such a sweetie and loves everyone... kids, adults, cats. He's around 3 years old.

I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions. And no, the name doesn't necessarily have to be from an anime, but it would be fun combining two of my favorite things (animals and anime). The one thing it can't be is "One Eyed Jack" because I already have a cat named Jack.

Thanks!

Here are some images...

I think I'd go with Captain Harlock but if you want something more mainstream how about Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler? He's got a small dog quality to him.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Thanks!

Here are some images...

Aw he's cute I will point out Harlock's first name is considered to be Phantom, which i think goes nicely with his fir color.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Your dog is adorable! He looks happy and in good hands! I kinda like the name Zoro as in, Zoro from One Piece. No, he's not one-eyed, but after the timeskip, he has a scar running down his left eye lid, making him unable to open it. I think it would be cute for a dog!

I've bought my share of used DVDs, and it is indeed the only way to get some stuff without paying ridiculously high prices. Sometimes it's just more economical.

I don't recommend buying used Blu-rays though. I bought Ponyo used on BD, and it was advertized as having "a couple tiny scratches, but still playable." On a DVD, that wouldn't have mattered much. It's easier to scratch a DVD, but they don't affect the disc much unless they're really bad. On a BD, just one scratch IS a big deal, and my disc did skip a little toward the end on every BD player in my house. I did return the disc for a refund, but it was still really annoying...

I'd love to see Doraemon in the mainstream. Seeing a float in the Macy's parade would be truly awesome! I wouldn't hold my breath, but it would still be really cool.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bought used physical media online in a long tme, but it's super easy to avoid bootlegs if you just do research. What I do is find out the catalogue number or the product ID (UPC code) of the legitimate item on Japanese sites that list such info and then search for that instead of the title on eBay or Amazon. Worked every time I tried it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
How about calling the dog Mito, after the character from "Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4