• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, May 12-18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
As expected, persona 3 dominates the week, I would have surprised if this has not happend, since the only other big(10k+) release is Hoozuki. Not that it sold a lot for a movie, but its still good. Anyway, moving on to the trends of the current season.
All of this is based on the current trends on Amazon Japan,

Love Live! 2nd season v1 is having an amazing performance with its estimate of 71.6k(down from 95k from a few days ago). It'll have a rather big event ticket drop, but if its underestimated, it might just outsell Bakamono v4. Not that I would get your hopes up for it, its just a possibility.

Haikyuu! & Selector infected Wixoss are both above 10k, but its not certain if they will reach a 10k average. Wixoss rises easier in the Amazon rankings becease its 2 times as expansive as normal volume(4 episodes). But its not listed as a box-set on stalker, so its kinda hard to know what its sales will be, for me atleast. Haikyuu!! Has a big event ticket drop, so it'll need a storefront effect(15%+) for it to average 10k.

JoJo P3 is also still doing really good on Amazon, i'm still expecting 15/20k+ sales for this one(edit : the estimate is up at 25.8k).

Sidonia no Kishi, Mushishi S2, No game No life and Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? are within the 5-7k range. Mushishi S2 and Mahouka dropped in the amazon rankings, but Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? has a rather nice boost.

No Game No Life, Isshuukan Friends, Mekaku city actors and Kenzen Robo Daimidaler are all within the 3-5k range, No Game No Life and Isshuukan Friends got some nice boosts this week.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san and Puchimass are doing decent for shorts.

SoreDemo Is not up on Amazon Yet. Anything else not listed in this post will probably average less than 3k.

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue May 20, 2014 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
As expected, persona 3 dominates the week, I would have surprised if this has not happend, since the only other big(10k+) release is Hoozuki. Not that it sold a lot for a movie, but its still good. Anyway, moving on to the trends of the current season.
All of this is based on the current trends on Amazon Japan,

Rederoin wrote:
SoreDemo Is not up on Amazon Yet. Anything else not listed in this post will probably average less than 3k.

I ordered the premium set of the Persona 3 movie, and I don't regret it! It's got some great extras, and of course a great movie. Though they could have shortened one scene and put other things in that time slot...

Secondly, I tried looking for the Blu-ray/DVD release as well, as I wanted to pre-order, but no dice. Not a prediction, just a thought, but there is a possibility they will skip the single volume release all together and release a box.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
persona 3 only look dominate because it release on a weak week. No competition.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
persona 3 only look dominate because it release on a weak week. No competition.

It would have dominated every week. While the numbers are not that high for a movie, they are high when compared to other releases.

Something selling 30k will top the charts in most weeks.

But this is far from a weak week, Hoozuki at 10k+ and Mikakunin at 5k+. and it had plenty of other releases. If you want to know what a weak week looks like, go look at the last 2 weeks.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised at YOWAMUSHI PEDAL's ranking. Since most long running shows don't really rank that much (expect for the movies) it's doing pretty well. And i see the manga is selling good too. I wonder what the appeal behind the show is.

Maybe it's the fact the main character is an otaku? Wink
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I'm kind of surprised at YOWAMUSHI PEDAL's ranking. Since most long running shows don't really rank that much (expect for the movies) it's doing pretty well. And i see the manga is selling good too. I wonder what the appeal behind the show is.

Maybe it's the fact the main character is an otaku? Wink

The same Appeal KnB and Haikyuu!! have.
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Love Live! 2nd season v1 is having an amazing performance with its estimate of 71.6k(down from 95k from a few days ago). It'll have a rather big event ticket drop, but if its underestimated, it might just outsell Bakamono v4. Not that I would get your hopes up for it, its just a possibility.

Get my hopes up? If it outsells Bake I will cry like a little baby, it's just...the least interesting thing imaginable. *grumble grumble* and on top of all that Enganged to Unidentified isn't doing that well, now THAT was a good show that season. Not Idol garbage.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Get my hopes up? If it outsells Bake I will cry like a little baby, it's just...the least interesting thing imaginable. *grumble grumble* and on top of all that Enganged to Unidentified isn't doing that well, now THAT was a good show that season. Not Idol garbage.

Now not liking Love Live! just means you got some real bad taste. Especially so since you even think Engaged to the Unidentified is better.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

A series does not need 10k+ disc sales to be doing good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1