• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Develops Star Fox & 2 More Projects for Wii U

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Good to see that they're finally bringing back the Star Fox series to consoles. Hopefully it isn't as mediocre as that Star Fox Assault game on the Gamecube that Namco did for Nintendo back in 2005(jeez, it's been nearly a decade?).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Nintendo won E3 for me even tho they were not on stage. XBOX and PS4 announced 90% games I can play on my PC or less money than their consoles, and in the end none looked super unique. I was actually amazed at games like Splatoon that look unique AND fun...and of course the new freakin Zelda game looks godly. Time to get a Wii U, the only console that truly has exclusives.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nintendo won E3 for me even tho they were not on stage.

Unfortunately E3 isn't about games anymore, it's a pissing contest to please press/investors and sell their brand name on stage. Nintendo just wants to show off all their games they're making, so a Direct is the best way to do that. That's why they sort of stepped back from the usual E3 presentation and just have their games on display on the show floor now.

Agreed though, Nintendo definitely showed off the most content, and in creative ways. I'd love a Smash Bros anime, or a Zelda anime. That short was amazing. Even that squid-themed shooter actually looked interesting and fun. I think it was the only presentation where I was interested in all the games they showed off.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
So that was what Shingeru was doing during the digital stream. I'm glad they are bringing one of their series back, as they can't just keep relaying on Mario and Donkey Kong. and they have been working on this for a while it seems.

gloverrandal wrote:

Unfortunately E3 isn't about games anymore, it's a pissing contest to please press/investors and sell their brand name on stage. Nintendo just wants to show off all their games they're making, so a Direct is the best way to do that. That's why they sort of stepped back from the usual E3 presentation and just have their games on display on the show floor now.

So that's why Nintendo hasn't been doing a press conference on E3 since. I thought it had something to do with their very last appearance in that they didn't do a good job with the conference or something like that. That and this year with Satoru health.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So that's why Nintendo hasn't been doing a press conference on E3 since. I thought it had something to do with their very last appearance in that they didn't do a good job with the conference or something like that. That and this year with Satoru health.
He's just giving you a heavily biased point of view opinion to make Nintendo seem like some saint. Either tactic of getting the info out there is neither good nor bad.

Anyway, the only cool things they showed were Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade. I'd hate to buy a system that I don't want, but I may have to for Xenoblade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Is true E3 is not really about games anymore back to 1996 to 2011 was, all developers and publishers show off their games to all audiences. Sony and Microsoft constantly talk about how great their consoles and indie games a lot, indies are fun it does get announcements. Less new game announcements, even Nintendo didn't even show as much. A lot of fans and me were disappointed how sony didn't talk even talk last guardian or Microsoft changing gears of wars and halo or maybe a new conker that is not in that spark crap game, nintendo i guess show some things but a lot just a few, ubisoft im not shock they would talk assassin creed but beyond good and evil 2, prince of Persia. EA the only thing i care about is mirror edge, dragon age, mass effect that's all, no crapcom, no sega, no tecmo, no namco bandai except sony mention tales of hearts r on vita i guess, no rockstar, no square enix except kh hd 2.5 and tomb raider i guess. I mean whats point watching e3 anymore they disappoint me like last year why even care. I only hope in e3 was in this 2014 i was hoping even more new game announcements or sony caring about vita not as remote play, microsoft reconsidering taking drm off xboxone, nintendo i wanted to show new franchises doesnt has to be mario or zelda. maybe fire emblem game, kid icirus game, star fox, metroid, f zero, earthbond, or new fighting series, new rpg series thats not paper mario, fire emblem, x series, today no one cares anything for American or European fans but in japan yes they care
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I thought it had something to do with their very last appearance in that they didn't do a good job with the conference or something like that. That and this year with Satoru health.

They've been a bit vocal about how they disapprove of recent trends in the media press Laughing Read Iwata's criticisms of the industry here. Kinda why they distancing themselves from E3 these years. When you got companies saying stuff like "brought to you by Doritos and Mountain Dew!" you know the industry has gotten really commercial and corporate. Nintendo kinda doesn't like that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised that they are revisiting this series again.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Aquasakura wrote:
I thought it had something to do with their very last appearance in that they didn't do a good job with the conference or something like that. That and this year with Satoru health.

They've been a bit vocal about how they disapprove of recent trends in the media press Laughing Read Iwata's criticisms of the industry here. Kinda why they distancing themselves from E3 these years. When you got companies saying stuff like "brought to you by Doritos and Mountain Dew!" you know the industry has gotten really commercial and corporate. Nintendo kinda doesn't like that.
There so un-corporate they teamed up Mercedes-Benz to cross promote Mario Kart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

I think it's mostly that they see how much of the current seen is just a MESS with people stumbling left and right not able to figure out what they want to do. If anything it's a severe lack of professional behavior. Gaming is in its awkward adolescent phase, too old to be considered young but not old to be considered mature and the loads of people who keep up this arrested development are only holding things back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1