• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Teasing Eden

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well,Rebecca, I'm renting Reconstructing Amelia from the library, so I hope you're happy! Razz
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Cage of Eden doesn't so much fall off at the end and it appears to have been rushed to a conclusion. There are many unanswered questions, spoiler[Like why did the island's operations need so much power to run a genetic laboratory and why was the lab lacking any actual sample materials in it's gene bank?]

I think there was more story to go, but I suspect that the publisher pushed it to end early.

Mark Gosdin
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
@malvarez1
I am! PM me when you've finished it! Smile

mgosdin, that makes sense. I'm of course not thrilled when that happens, but I was afraid that it just cut off with no resolution or pulled the old "It was all a dream!" or some garbage like that. In any event, I'm hooked and will keep reading till the end.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
I really like the omnibus format for Until Death Do Us Part -- it looks good on shelves, the art benefits from the larger pages, and you get a much more substantial chunk of story in each volume -- but the six month gap between installments is killer. I always need thirty pages to remember what the hell is going on in the story. Some day when the series wraps up, I'm going to have to reread the whole series so I can understand what all the long term plots are about.
JR-1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
When I read the ending of Cage of Eden, I'm rather baffled why it get so much flak. Granted, perhaps it's because I've read a lot of manga (especially canceled manga) with much more inconclusive endings.

I do agree that it's really rushed at the end and some little things are left unfinished/unexplained, but nothing particularly damning (except for one perhaps: a certain character which didn't get the time to confront the main character again).

Come to think of it, I can't think of many manga that gets obviously-rushed-to-end-due-to-editorial-pressure with a volume count above 15, so perhaps it's a big factor why it gets so much flak.

About Miss Bancho... You didn't mention that it went hiatus after 5 volumes, Rebecca? It did get published here in my country (though I didn't personally collect it) and I remember there was a big gap between the release of vol 4 and vol 5 and people wondering where's vol 6 back in 2010.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
JR-1 wrote:

About Miss Bancho... You didn't mention that it went hiatus after 5 volumes, Rebecca? It did get published here in my country (though I didn't personally collect it) and I remember there was a big gap between the release of vol 4 and vol 5 and people wondering where's vol 6 back in 2010.

Good point - so even if it does get a license rescue, we English-readers are still going to be stuck with an incomplete story. It's too bad - it was a fun read. I just figured that since it was unlikely to be rescued, I'd leave that out. Probably not a great plan in retrospect... Embarassed

@Utsuro no Hako
That's pretty much my plan for UDDUP - I love owning the books and looking at them, but I have a hard time keeping the plot(s) straight. I look forward to rereading the whole thing once Yen gets it out.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca, could you see about getting the opening graphic for this feature changed. A screaming male face is inconsistent with the content and the nature of your reviews. It doesn't have to be unicorns and butterflies but something in between would be nice.

And, the title of the feature, I understand where it came from, and I realize it has tradition behind it, but it initially made me think it was a column for conservative politics and still bothers me.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac and I have talked about changing the graphic - I'm sure it'll happen soon. I agree that it'd be nice to have something a bit less...screamy. (I know, not a word.)

I'm sorry the title of the column bothers you - that certainly wasn't my intention! I actually know a couple of girls named Eden, which is more where my thoughts were.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Rebecca review all Manga. So there will be manga that reflects screaming people. I would think that the Garden of Eden would have some screaming people. Would it even be considered a survival story, without someone screaming

Perhaps the guy is screaming, in order to get our attention away from the TV, and back into books.

Didn't know 'Teasing Eden' is representative of conservative thought.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Zac and I have talked about changing the graphic - I'm sure it'll happen soon. I agree that it'd be nice to have something a bit less...screamy. (I know, not a word.)

I'm sorry the title of the column bothers you - that certainly wasn't my intention! I actually know a couple of girls named Eden, which is more where my thoughts were.

I think he's talking about the permanent title of the column: Right Turn Only. He is connecting "right" to "conservatism."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I meant the "Right Turn Only!!" part. It is a bit misleading.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I really do like the "Unfinished" portion of the column. There are so many series that were dropped for one reason or another, and this is way more common in manga than anime (as we all know).

As someone that does not read scanlations, I won't lie: It makes me sad that I won't be able to finish even some of the worst series that I invested time and money into. Sigh.

I've been learning Japanese for a little while, but until I've really, really improved, I'll join everyone else as they sit in the corner and cry about swan.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Yes, I meant the "Right Turn Only!!" part. It is a bit misleading.

Ah, got it. Makes more sense. That was the title of the column when I took it over, and as far as I know, as long as it's existed. But you can certainly ask one of the higher ups about it.

@unitmikey
I'm glad you like the section! It really is sad how many series just sort of drop off for one reason or another. I almost did Swan this time, but then I decided to go a little farther afield. I read some Japanese, but not quite well enough, and it doesn't appear to be in any other language I do read. That's not always the case, though - Gakuen Alice is available in French, as are a couple of the other titles I've used for The Unfinished.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
As someone that does not read scanlations, I won't lie: It makes me sad that I won't be able to finish even some of the worst series that I invested time and money into. Sigh.

I also don't read scanlations, but I'm more saddened by series that haven't gotten licensed that I'd like to read. Like the recently finished TWGOK.
normajean19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm having some issues trying to read Plastic Blue... Gen manga's site certainly doesn't make it easy for me. I don't want to pay $24 just to read this story, and when I try to purchase the digital edition of the story, it takes me to a login page and says that its members-only content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2