• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nanana's Buried Treasure

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Woah, wait, the series is actually IS only 11 episodes? Well, that's....unsatisfying. I had a blast watching it every week and as the review said, it only barely scratched the surface of things. The ending of episode 11 made it seem there'd be more without an explicit confirmation, so I was hoping there'd be more to watch the next week.

spoiler[I also must say, trap or not, Daruku is quite cute, and I like how the series handled him in an evenhanded way after the obligatory "It's a boy!" shock.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story feels more like it is at a midway point than a conclusion at the end, and a second season not eventually being animated to finish the story out would be criminal.

Isn't this one of those cynical "buy the source material, sucker!" shows that deliberately doesn't go anywhere?
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Does not even come close to following through on its main storyline

Just me, or should this negative be placed on a lot more anime reviews? Laughing

Must say, Nanana can't be the only one that should have this negative placed on it. No Game No Life should have it, along with others like Black Bullet, Kanaojo ga Flag, Mekaku City Actors and Sidonia no Kishi...just to name a handful more.

I enjoyed Nanana. Tensai would be my favourite character and I enjoyed the interactions between her and Juugo.

The ending tease is quite annoying, if I do say so myself. Sadly, I think I've seen enough anime by now to know that a teaser at the end of the series doesn't mean that we'll be seeing more anime made.

And, since this is based on a LN series, probably won't be seeing how things turn out.

Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
The story feels more like it is at a midway point than a conclusion at the end, and a second season not eventually being animated to finish the story out would be criminal.

Isn't this one of those cynical "buy the source material, sucker!" shows that deliberately doesn't go anywhere?

If by "doesn't go anywhere" you mean "doesn't have a tied up ending", then yes.

In all honesty, I don't think another 11-13 episode season would be enough to really finish this series off...depending on where the focus lies. I found that there were two main things going on by the end: spoiler[stopping Ikusaba from getting the treasures] and spoiler[finding out who killed Nanana...maybe?]

But then there is also stuff like spoiler[who are the other members of the Great 7] and spoiler[how the Matsuri are tied into it all.]

There's something like 7 LNs and counting, and I've no idea how far into the LNs this anime went. Thing is, to me, it didn't feel like it went too far into the story.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
There's something like 7 LNs and counting, and I've no idea how far into the LNs this anime went. Thing is, to me, it didn't feel like it went too far into the story.

Agreed, and I'm also not convinced that another 11-13 episodes would be enough at the pace they're going. Still, how much I came to like this one caught me completely by surprise, so I dearly hope that it performs well enough to justify more getting made.

If anyone who read the review is familiar with the original novels, can you comment on how far into the novels the animated version went?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the first couple of episodes of this series and I genuinely thought that it would end up being one of my favourites this season. It's such a shame that it didn't appear to go anywhere after such a promising start. And don't get me started on the ending...

I wonder if it will even get a second season, because it really needs one to wrap things up.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Agreed, and I'm also not convinced that another 11-13 episodes would be enough at the pace they're going. Still, how much I came to like this one caught me completely by surprise, so I dearly hope that it performs well enough to justify more getting made.

If anyone who read the review is familiar with the original novels, can you comment on how far into the novels the animated version went?

From what I've seen on different forums and whatnot the anime apparently covered the first 3 volumes out of the current 7. I cant personally confirm it though as translation for the series on baka hasn't reached that far yet and probably wont for a while. (Currently the translation is basically at the very start of volume 1.)
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where to start, with this anime. So many things were just, wtf?
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought the general viewers were disappoint with this show so I didn't think that the story would get a B+, but I'm glad it did.

Anyway, I enjoyed Nanana for what it's worth, episode 2 nailed it one of my top 5 and I was hyped to see what it could give more. It's a shame that instead of focusing on those intriguing parts, it spent more time on subplots (Juugo's love life) and not the bigger picture. While it's not bad, it's just tedious as hell.

The construction, riddle and humor do help though. Nanana and Tensai are among my favorite characters from last season, even if Nanana's time were short, I'd like to see more of her. And it has the catchiest theme song, don't know why but everytime I heard the instrument, it reminds me of Adam West Batman theme. Wink

That ending is a tease, if there's a 2nd season, count me in.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
How is nanana an interesting character again? She doesn't do jack for the majority of the series and her development is pretty shallow. Even though the show is named after her she is the LEAST interesting character in the cast. And it pisses me off that Juugo will likely end up with her instead of Tensai despite them having far superior chemistry.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
How is nanana an interesting character again?

She's hardly a character, more a stand-in to explain the MacGuffin of the week.

Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
And it has the catchiest theme song, don't know why but everytime I heard the instrument, it reminds me of Adam West Batman theme. Wink

The song itself was decent, but my god, that was one of the dullest opening animation sequences I've seen in years.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I have to say Nanana is just not an interesting character, and I think the fact that she get very little screen time is actually pretty good since she would have most likely develop into an uninteresting character, so not giving her screen time, good call in my book (better call, not putting her in the anime in the first place).

This show was great when it wasn't taking itself seriously, the premise wasn't very serious, so when it sorta tried to be serious in the later episode it all feel apart with huge plot hole and lot's and lots of hypocrisy.

Gotta say, Juugo is probably my favorite main character in quite a long time (sadly that means very very little), because he's not just a blank slate and he actually move the plot forward trough his action.

Last edited by meiam on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Quote:
Does not even come close to following through on its main storyline

Just me, or should this negative be placed on a lot more anime reviews? Laughing

Must say, Nanana can't be the only one that should have this negative placed on it. No Game No Life should have it, along with others like Black Bullet, Kanaojo ga Flag, Mekaku City Actors and Sidonia no Kishi...just to name a handful more.

Uh, two of those haven't even finished yet. And Kanojo flag looks like it's going to tell a complete story.

In any case, while a lot of shows don't cover all of the source materials, this is more of a problem in some than others. Nanana has a central mystery that it never even started to deal with, and was particularly mean with that scene after the credits in the last episode, making it a much bigger flaw here than, say, what will likely be the situation with Black Bullet.

I'd certainly agree that No Game, No Life is similar in that regard though. At least there's a chance that one might get a sequel, though unless it diverges from the novels, I doubt the anime will ever be 'complete'.

Quote:

And unless you're willing and able to read the novels, it's a moot point since there almost certainly won't be another season.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the whole show yet due to recent internet issues, but after watching it 7 episodes in I have to say that so far this show was a complete let down for me.

I will start off by giving this series it's due credit though, Jugo was a lot more enjoyable to watch since he had an actual personality and back story as apposed to the generic bland nice-guy/stick-up-their-ass gary-stu's that alot of LN main characters seem to pump out and his interactions with Tensai were actually somewhat enjoyable since Tensai herself was a fairly decent character. That and it every two episodes it seems to put out one good episode that keeps me from dropping it (Episode 1, 4 and so on). That said however, the rest of this series was usually either a pain or a bore to sit through, Nanana, while having a few good moment's here or there just turned into an even worse version of Index and every other character in this series is either annoying (the club president's aide) or completely forgettable(the president who's name I can't even remember along with the rest of the cast.) It also developed that brand of LN humor that is rarely ever funny and only added to the disappointment.

Now that I finally have my internet on my might finish this show up to see if this 'antagonist' sparks any interest with me, but otherwise I just found it pretty mediocre.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Though I don't agree with this assessment, I can understand why people would find Nanana to not be particularly interesting. I cannot, however, fathom how someone could possibly fairly label her "an even worse version of Index."

Do explain further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Though I don't agree with this assessment, I can understand why people would find Nanana to not be particularly interesting. I cannot, however, fathom how someone could possibly fairly label her "an even worse version of Index."

Do explain further.

In both cases, their primary role is motive for the protagonist and giving them explanations and generally having little to do in the show outside of that. That's a bit less true for Index than Nanana, so I assume that's what they mean by "a worse version of Index".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3