• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga That Was Cancelled Due to Tokyo Ordinance Is Posted Online

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ah, clever way to bypass the new law. Very clever I must say. But one question: Could Tokyo Ordinance get any revision against putting up explicit manga on the web??

I can see more manga that are banned under this law to be uploaded on the web in the future to circumvent that law.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
The CBLDF reported this on their site earlier this week.
Yamamoto was also an assistant to the the creator of "Attack on Titan".
http://cbldf.org/2014/07/new-manga-crushed-by-tokyo-ordinance/

Last edited by revolutionotaku on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
I heard about this a week ago, now I want to see for myself what's truly so bad about the manga.
eulercauchy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
This was pretty innocuous stuff. Granted, I didn't understand anything aside from the sound effects, but the sight gag did make me chuckle.

<SARCASM> If this would "be excessively disrupting of social order," then Japan has a very fragile society indeed. </SARCASM>
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or is this law a legalized version of blackmail?
normajean19

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Wow... that was pretty funny.
eulercauchy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Is it just me or is this law a legalized version of blackmail?

No, that would be taxes. Razz
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
eulercauchy wrote:
This was pretty innocuous stuff. Granted, I didn't understand anything aside from the sound effects, but the sight gag did make me chuckle.

<SARCASM> If this would "be excessively disrupting of social order," then Japan has a very fragile society indeed. </SARCASM>

Yeah, there wasn't anything that disrupted social order in the manga, when I think of disrupting social order, I think of extremist speech, inciting violence.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
eulercauchy wrote:

Aiko is a schoolgirl that all her friends are menstruating and not her. She goes home to her her room and reads up on menstruation and punches herself in the uterus in frustration.
This seems to "awaken" Ma-chan, her anthropomorphic vagina, who begins coughing up blood. Ma-chan introduces herself and says that she's been with her ever since birth and from now on she's going to assist in her journey into adulthood.
The next day at school Aiko tells her friend that she's now one of the gang.

I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, it's weird. But if this were about a kid with a talking penis I'm sure it would have been published.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
^
The problem mighjt be with the girl physically abusing herself so that she can be one of the gang.
That is not something that I would want to encourage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
^
The problem mighjt be with the girl physically abusing herself so that she can be one of the gang.
That is not something that I would want to encourage.

That's hardly disruptive of social order, if it was then a good deal of shounen and seinen would've ceased publication by now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
With that picture of a girl that looks under 13, if it's a series with varying amounts of fanservice, I actually do adhere to t the regulation of such series (I didn't say ban) to an extent.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Well you also have to remember that the people enforcing this law are defining "glorify" as "not specifically denouncing," as in unless someone specifically states they're doing something bad then it's being glorified.

My guess is they're afraid they'll run afoul of the whole "sex in a school" part for some reason since it's having to deal with puberty, either that or the whole smiley-face vagina thing.

Oh how I wish the people over there would take action against such stupid laws, but one can only do so much.
Yause

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Bear in mind that this cancellation had nothing to do with enforcement of a law.

The editorial departments at Coamix and Takuma Shoten canceled publication in light of potential trouble. However, there is no definitive suggestion that the manga would've been blacklisted by law.

As the article states, "Imouto Paradise 2" was the first title to be formally restricted by the government; any previous cancellations would've been pre-emptive moves on the part of publishers, who (rightly or wrongly) feared a negative assessment. In short, they didn't want to risk money on titles that might not be allowed in stores.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, it's weird. But if this were about a kid with a talking penis I'm sure it would have been published.

Well, actually... There is a BL manga with that plot except it's a group of high school boys. It called spoiler[Chintsubu]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3