• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Under the Dog Sci-Fi Anime Kickstarter Launches

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
That looks brutal tbh. Well, I like the PV a bit but hopefully this will get enough funds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Love that director and character designer, and really liked Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (and Virtue's Last Reward).

Really liked the trailer, hopefully it funds and so more stuff like this can be done.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Not the plane, not the bird, not even the frog... Wink
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Backed it, mainly to support the idea of more independent anime being made than wanting to watch the anime, although this looks like it could be good. If violent.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting... I hope it gets funded.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Has a pretty good staff behind it;will keep an eye on it before deciding to back it.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Was going to back it immediately, but those physical tier prices... Even for Japanese releases they're REALLY expensive Anime cry

I like their intentions, ideas and the way they're going about this, so i'll back it for sure, just gonna have to figure out on what tier...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
"Under the Dog" makes it sound like a bestiality flick. Anywho, I like the background designs, they look like the type of thing I wish Shinkai would do more of. I also dig all of that cleavage the preview shows off.

This is how you advertise a Kickstarter, you already have a full trailer ready to go so backers can actually grow their expectations and want to contribute. I don't think Harmony Gold grasped this with Robotech Academy.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Is it known whether it'll be a single-, double- or split-cour?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I do really want to back but it's difficult to decide what tier to enter in at, I want a physical copy but funds are being pushed ales where at the moment Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Is it known whether it'll be a single-, double- or split-cour?

It's a single 24 minute episode. This is known to everyone who read the first sentence of the article.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Was going to back it immediately, but those physical tier prices... Even for Japanese releases they're REALLY expensive Anime cry

I like their intentions, ideas and the way they're going about this, so i'll back it for sure, just gonna have to figure out on what tier...

They have to price them high or a lot of money would go to producing the physical stuff instead of going to the project itself; which is a problem a lot of kickstarters end up with.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I wasn’t particularly impressed by either Hanasaku Iroha or Blast of Tempest, although that was probably more an issue with the writing than actual directing. Still, seeing as Masahiro Ando’s other work is focused on Key animation & storyboards, with only the odd single episode directing credits, there really isn’t enough for me to put much faith in. Jirō Ishii’s name means virtually nothing, having few small roles, & while I liked Yuusuke Kozaki’s designs well enough in Fire Emblem, the animation just looks too shiny & colourful, especially for what appears to be a gritty sci-fi story. I was reminded of P.A. Works of all things; perhaps not surprising, seeing as Kinema Citrus apparently did in-between work for HanaIro & Nagi no Asakara. Their input with actual sci-fi/ supernatural seems to range from mediocre (Code Breaker, Black Bullet) to solid (Noragami). Honestly, they seem to work better with fluffier slice-of-life shows like Barakamon. Bringing up the names of classic movies renowned for brutally realistic animation, when yours looks like it could be any sub-Durarara LN adaption from the last few years probably isn't the wisest decision.

$100 for the BD/dvd release of a 24 minute film is frankly an absurd expectation imo, especially as there’s nothing in that trailer or synopsis to make me think it’ll be much more than the sci-fi equivalent of Blood: The Last Vampire: nice animation & action, but little staying power. Even if I had that much faith in the writing, there really isn’t enough length time to fulfil the potential being hyped up; especially with likes of Akira or GitS being bandied around. You pretty much have to be as loved as Trigger, or use a popular existing franchise to ask for either such a high target goal or physical rewards tier price. I think these guys have seen the success of Little Witch Academia, but not understood the pre-existing goodwill Trigger already had. They’re going to struggle with this. Personally, I think I’m happy waiting for my Time of Eve & Patema Inverted sets to ship.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
"Under the Dog" makes it sound like a bestiality flick.

As joked earlier, think they wanted to suggest "A fighting underdog hero against the odds", but...didn't quite get the English expression right. Confused
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
"Under the Dog" makes it sound like a bestiality flick.

As joked earlier, think they wanted to suggest "A fighting underdog hero against the odds", but...didn't quite get the English expression right.

All the better for me, now I can make horrid jokes at its expense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4