• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Sues Koei Tecmo for 980 Million Yen on Patent Infringement

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Crapcom's desperate for money and relevance. Maybe if you didn't sentence BoF to death by making BoF VI a money pit, shoehorning on disk DLC, making Dual Destinies digital only in the US when we all know PW sells here, and killing off Megaman, you wouldn't be wanting to sue folks left and right to stay afloat.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
What the??? Shocked Shocked

Capcom is sueing Tecmo Koei for patent infringement, so is Tecmo Koei going to countersue claiming Sengoku Basara copied of Samurai Warriors??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
So Capcom is doing the same as SNK, suing another company in the hope they buy them instead of dealing with a long court fight that might delay further installments of their hit series.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
KOEI Tecmo denied any infringement on its part. CAPCOM said it cannot make any further comments while the trail is underway.

I understand what you meant to say, but I'm pretty sure it's trial not trail.
terran3020

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
i know there's some pretty dumb patents out there, but the controller vibrating when enemies are nearby?
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe if you didn't sentence BoF to death by making BoF VI a money pit

The last few BOF games have sold poorly. BOF VI is a new direction to see if the franchise is actually worth keeping around. You should wait to see how it does before you cite it as a reason in your argument.

Quote:
shoehorning on disk DLC

Which makes them money, actually.

Quote:
making Dual Destinies digital only in the US when we all know PW sells here

We do? They cited poor American sales as to why they skipped out on the spin-offs and made this digital only. Do you have secret information Capcom doesn't and would like to share?

Quote:
and killing off Megaman

The last few games only sold a few hundred thousands world-wide. The franchise is dead, let it go already.
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Quote:
shoehorning on disk DLC

Not to mention this saves time and harddrive space for those who don't want to buy the DLC, since it makes it so you don't have to download large updates and compatibility packs to continue playing the game online.

I've never understood why people singly out Capcom for this practice, they weren't the first company to use this practice and they certainly aren't the only ones who use it either.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So first they rip off Samurai Warriros, and now they sue Koei for copyright infringement? How the mighty have fallen. Man, instead of doing this shit, why not make a good game that would sell well.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Importing old saves for new content and controller vibration when enemies are nearby? Are they serious? This is pathetic, even by Capcom standards.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Quote:

The last few BOF games have sold poorly. BOF VI is a new direction to see if the franchise is actually worth keeping around. You should wait to see how it does before you cite it as a reason in your argument.

Quote:
shoehorning on disk DLC

Quote:

We do? They cited poor American sales as to why they skipped out on the spin-offs and made this digital only. Do you have secret information Capcom doesn't and would like to share?

Quote:
and killing off Megaman

The last few games only sold a few hundred thousands world-wide. The franchise is dead, let it go already.
Stop letting giant corporations make you their mouthpiece. The widespread problem with the AAA game industry is the preoccupation with sales and making giant figures, and not actually putting out good games with a wealth of content. So, Ace Attorney sold quite well for a point-and-click adventure game, but not compared against, say, the latest big-name *insert title here* AAA graphics extravaganza.

And you know, I'm sure all of the people who backed MN9 would have bought a proper, new Mega-Man game. You know. Those people who helped fund it twice? Fully? Yeah. Would it have sold as well as, once again, some big-budget, over-hyped "Titanfall" or "Destiny" or "Call of Duty Black Op BroGhosts Warfare"? No. But it would have sold well within its own genre. Your argument that seems to patently defend the practice of games being all about making the most amount of money possible is exactly the type of thing that's wrong with the game industry.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
shoehorning on disk DLC

Quote:

Quote:
and killing off Megaman

I'm sorry, but this pitiful little suit will fail miserably. Which means that Capcom won't be giving you a raise. If anything, you might even be laid off.

But fret not! That's a good thing, cause you'll regain your dignity back by not having to be the Mouth of Sauron anymore!
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So, gamers have become so disillusioned that when someone asks them for proof of their egregious claims rather than joining in on the caveman-like mud-slinging they can only respond with that person must be an employee for the company. Remarkable.

Apollo-kun wrote:
Stop letting giant corporations make you their mouthpiece. The widespread problem with the AAA game industry is the preoccupation with sales and making giant figures, and not actually putting out good games with a wealth of content. So, Ace Attorney sold quite well for a point-and-click adventure game, but not compared against, say, the latest big-name *insert title here* AAA graphics extravaganza.

No company, no matter how consumer friendly they are, is going to put out games which lose them money. AA sold low in America even by those niche standards. Especially when other handheld games, new IPs without a fanbase even, in the west can sell twice what they do.

Quote:
And you know, I'm sure all of the people who backed MN9 would have bought a proper, new Mega-Man game. You know. Those people who helped fund it twice? Fully? Yeah. Would it have sold as well as, once again, some big-budget, over-hyped "Titanfall" or "Destiny" or "Call of Duty Black Op BroGhosts Warfare"? No. But it would have sold well within its own genre.

Mighty No 9 was backed by 67,226 people. Mega Man, even at it's absolute lowest, sold more than 67,226 copies. Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge sold more than that.

You people need to stop using Mighty No 9 as some kind of proof Capcom is dumb for axing Mega Man. It actually proves Capcom right when they can't even muster 67,226 people to care about their property. Mega Man in it's prime, the Battle Network games, could sell over 1 million copies. They weren't holding the franchise to Gears of Duty: Bro Warfare standards, they were holding it to it's own standards it set with previous installments of the franchise. 67,226, when the standard used to be over a million, is a sign of a decline that anyone can see. It's only a niche audience who cares about Mega Man still.

Your problem you keep assuming is that Capcom is holding those games to AAA standards and that's why they're disappointed with sales. They're not. They're holding those games to their own standards, and they've effectively failed to meet even those. I hate AAA gaming too, but let's not use it as some boogeyman scapegoat for all the problems in the world.
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
So first they rip off Samurai Warriros, and now they sue Koei for copyright infringement?

No, Patent Infringement. Two completely separate things that are only loosely related.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
So, gamers have become so disillusioned that when someone asks them for proof of their egregious claims rather than joining in on the caveman-like mud-slinging they can only respond with that person must be an employee for the company. Remarkable.

Change your avatar. :<
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Crapcom's desperate for money and relevance. Maybe if you didn't sentence BoF to death by making BoF VI a money pit, shoehorning on disk DLC, making Dual Destinies digital only in the US when we all know PW sells here, and killing off Megaman, you wouldn't be wanting to sue folks left and right to stay afloat.

I really think a lot of people look at the BoF series with rose-tinted glasses. Honestly of BoF III was suppose to be an indication of the series quality I really dont' want to see the rest of the series.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3