• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kabukimonogatari Sub.Blu-Ray 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite arcs of the entire series. You get time travel, zombies, Shinobu, and the development of the relationship between Shinobu and Araragi. Sure it ultimately doesn't really change the series or anything. But its a very interesting arc in my opinion.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I strongly agree with Carl that this arc is kind of pointless in the end. Kabukimonogatari and Koimonogatari are my least favorite arcs from the Second Season.

I am enjoying collecting these sets, and I hope that Aniplex USA announces Otorimonogatari soon.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that that the arc was pointless at the end. It gives us a whole new perspective of a giant "WHAT IF" Hachikuji Mayoi never died and nobody told Araragi about how Shinobu left. To me, it made Araragi to realize that he is powerless to do everything and that he should appreciate the thing he's having at the moment. It's also a great build up for the character of Hachikuji Mayoi and make Araragi to see how important she is to him. Thus setting up a very dramatic ending that many men shed manly tears..... T-T
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This review has been up for over four hours and no one has complained about the price of the set yet... Laughing

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence about getting this one.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that it is pointless due to the events of the story being wiped away, I have to say that this was my 2nd favourite arc of Second Season. No idea what the major consensus is on this one.

I enjoyed seeing the consequences of Araragi's time travelling exploits. The zombies were something that I didn't see coming. And it was nice to see a little of an older Hachikuji. To see those, for me, was worth it. And, it's always nice to have a breather in a 24 episode series.
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
...The events aren't pointless at all. Monogatari is 100% about the characters and how they get affected by the events - not the other way around. The story never cared about the big impact that these stories might have on the world around them, it is always about the impact on the individual. This arc highlights the connection between Araragi and Shinobu (since Kizu still hasn't been animated) and gives the viewer a reminder that Hachikuji is not what she seems ( building up to Onimonogatari).

So, sure the events get reversed but their effect on the characters remain.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Wow. This review has been up for over four hours and no one has complained about the price of the set yet... Laughing

No need to. :3

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2875133

(Shameless plugging.)
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to disagree that this arc is 'pointless'. It was my 2nd favorite arc of 2nd season after Otorimonogatari, which I am super pleased is up next on the schedule because damn, so good.

But as someone above me said, Monogatari has never been about events, it's always been about characters. So while it's true that, in the sense of events, nothing that happens in this arc matters because it all gets wiped away, it has several serious and significant impacts on the characters involved (Araragi and Shinobu).

The reason I like this arc so much is because it's the first time we really get to dig a little bit into Shinobu- prior to this she's been around, but we've never really done much exploring of her feelings or the way she ticks. That changes here, and some of the conversations she and Araragi have during this arc I found extremely interesting and enlightening regarding who she is and who she might be. It did a /lot/ to flesh Shinobu out, making her more a character and less a plot device, and that's an extremely important thing for the series as a whole.

Also Araragi learned an important lesson about how sometimes you just can't solve a problem- sometimes you just need to let it lie. Not as significant perhaps, but it certainly has repercussions for the character's outlook moving forward.

So yeah- largely agree with the review, but disagree heavily that the arc was pointless. (With the exception of one massive scene (you know the one) I actually feel this arc is more significant/enlightening than Onimonogatari was).
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
Loved this arc for how much it revealed about Araragi and Shinobu's relationship. I thought that was way more important than moving the plot forward. But, I generally love this review.
DodgersHUN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't necessarily agree that this arc was pointless solely because of the time-travel aspect: the effects on the arcs' main characters remain so technically it does affect the plot in a way, but as far as the quality of the story goes, I kind of agree with the "pointless" argument. This arc was one of my least favourite arcs of S2, partly because it was too short and rushed for what it wanted to achieve, and partly because -as the review said- there wasn't that much uniting concern. I mean sure, it tried to flesh out Shinobu and the relationship between her and Araragi, but it didn't made her character, nor their relationship any more interesting or intriguing as a whole, especially not when Nekomonogatari as a whole did a very, very good job at fleshing out Hanekawa's character (and this has a lot to do with her story actually feeling like it really was about her, rather than just the conflict centering around wrecking things up due to losing the harem war), and even Otori was more interesting than this arc. Kabuki was still entertaining to an extend, but overall it felt like a light jog after a long sprint: not a bad thing mind you, but it's just not that mentionable compared to some other S2 arcs, and in a way it reinforces my opinion that S2 worked much better when the PoV character was someone other than Araragi.

One thing I'm interested in but haven't found mentioned is the subtitles themselves, or rather their source. Did they reused the simulcast translation, or they re-translated the script for the home release? (Normally I wouldn't care about this, but this franchise really needs good translation, and Daisuki's take on it felt too literal and didn't read as well as it could have been in a good amount of times)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1