• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
....Well, shit. Confused

R.I.P. R1 industry. It was fun while it lasted.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This had BETTER not be Aniplex USA 2.0. Pony Canyon has no major hits currently (unless they deem rereleasing AIR and Kanon viable) but them basically gaining first refusal on every Pony Canyon JP title would mean R1 companies losing out on a relatively big chunk of stuff. I don't want that.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see where this goes but even if they try going for a similar pricing scheme to Aniplex, I doubt they'll be as successful since they well...aren't Aniplex.

As annoying as AoA's inconsistent model is, it works for them because they have the hottest stuff on the market that people want. In comparison Pony Canyon has some good stuff but nowhere near enough to pull off the AoA model with the exact same success.

The bigger question for now though is exactly how big they plan on being. If they stick to a niche they'll probably make it but if they try going full on AoA things may not work out. Guess we'll see
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(but not Free! Eternal Summer)

That's not true. They're specifically credited in the ending credits. The production committee is exactly the same for both seasons.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Guess this is the reason why Funimation only has release rights for Free! Eternal Summer. Hope Pony Canyon decides to release the first season.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Japanese pricing scheme of $20-30 an episode just doesn't work here unless you're dealing with a headlining series. It might have worked if they had never licensed out Shingeki, but no one's dropping that kind of cash on stuff like Shinsekai yori, and those Key series are probably a little too old to get anyone but the very few diehards, but releasing them on BD here would be cool.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Pony Canyon has no major hits currently (unless they deem rereleasing AIR and Kanon viable) but them basically gaining first refusal on every Pony Canyon JP title would mean R1 companies losing out on a relatively big chunk of stuff. I don't want that.

For what it's worth, Air and Kanon are TBS titles internationally. They don't have international rights on every title they distribute in Japan.
ZeetherKID77

geishageek wrote:
Guess this is the reason why Funimation only has release rights for Free! Eternal Summer. Hope Pony Canyon decides to release the first season.

That's going to be horrible for people who want it at an affordable price if they plan on aping Aniplex.
Felis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they will find the same success as AoA if they intend to go down that route. Just how many overpriced releases can the US market sustain? Honestly, I think we get enough premium editions as it is.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
This had BETTER not be Aniplex USA 2.0.

I get the feeling it might be something similar to Dentsu USA, where they exist solely for licensing and overseeing licenses.

EDIT:

Welp. Nevermind. I missed the key part of the article.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

That's going to be horrible for people who want it at an affordable price if they plan on aping Aniplex.

I own a few Aniplex releases and have no issues with most prices. If I do, I just do not buy said release. I have more important things to worry about then the price of anime.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
(unless they deem rereleasing AIR and Kanon viable)

Unless they wait until FUNi's licenses expire.
And then decide to license it from TBS, since TBS holds the international license for both of those ( http://www.tbs.co.jp/eng/programsales/animation/air.html / http://www.tbs.co.jp/eng/programsales/animation/kanon.html ) .
I find that highly unlikely.

-edit-
-lol-
Looks like I take way too long to compose messages, as EmperorBrandon beat me to it.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
If the prices, and quality are roughly in line with NISA then I think this is fine, but I really doubt the US market can sustain more than one, or maaaaybe two companies with aniplex level prices.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the company plans to release Blu-ray discs and DVDs to the North American market

Shouldn't this be in the headline of the article?

I am intrigued by these news. Personally, I would not mind if Pony Canyon releases pricier releases over here. I will be fine as long as they release BD's (and of course, subtitled them).
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
....Well, shit. Confused

R.I.P. R1 industry. It was fun while it lasted.

Invest in a really good region free dvd/bd player. Buy the series from the UK or Australia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9