• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hi-Fi Cluster Joins Viz's Shonen Jump as Weekly Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
New series in Jump haven't had a ton of magic in them in a long time. Most of the action/adventure manga tend to be pretty cut and paste nowadays with mediocre storytelling/art, and this one isn't an exception. I was hoping they'd find some real hardcore talent especially with Naruto ending soon.

While I'm not the biggest fan of it, it's not that bad, and I'm sure younger readers will love it. I'll give it a couple more chapters.
Modab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I really disliked this series quickly after I thought the first chapter was... ok. Sporting Salt was better than I thought it would be, voted for that as the best of the bunch but oh well.... One year in I'm enjoying the manga on Crunchyroll a heck of a lot more than Shonen Jump. Better variety and more series. 3 years in to Shonen Jump and the average number of chapters per week is about 8.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect it to survive long, but Hi-Fi Cluster was my pick out of the last crop for what I wanted to see for the remainder of its life. So I'm happy about this.

But what I'm really excited for is the addition of Shokugeki no Souma to English WSJ; one of the series I'd love to have more legal exposure.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, Shun Saeki's Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma manga will also join the Weekly Shonen Jump line-up starting with next week's issue. The serialization will pick up with the newest chapter in Japan.

What about previous chapters?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
From what John Bae (one of the editors at Viz) said in the comments section of this week's issue, they'll do what they did with Nisekoi. Run the latest chapters as normal and let the volume releases handle the backlog.
1thought

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish Viz would try to promote older series digitally first with Shonen Jump try to build up a fanbase and if needed do a kickstarter for a print version.

Like get

80's Jump hits
High School Kimen Gumi
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin
Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)
City Hunter
Kimagure Orange Road

90's Jump hits
Rokudenashi Blues
Dragon Quest Dai Adventure.

A lot of people reading these newer Shonen series probably are just fans for now and if you don't try to help them expand their horizon they will probably get bored and now you've lost a fan and a customer.

Then again Viz pretty much ignores the fact they have exclusive rights to the Shogakukan library and the mature titles they could be putting out. Or older Shonen Sunday library as well.

They don't even keep anything in print either.
Phoenix has had volumes out of print for 10 years yet their website claims you can get Phoenix in print.
Or a bunch of other series Please Save My Earth,Cheeky Angel, Project Arms,Boys Over Flowers,Saint Seiya,Basara,Maison Ikkoku etc... that their website claims you can get but most of it is out of print.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
1thought wrote:
I wish Viz would try to promote older series digitally first with Shonen Jump try to build up a fanbase and if needed do a kickstarter for a print version.

Like get

80's Jump hits
High School Kimen Gumi
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin
Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)
City Hunter
Kimagure Orange Road

90's Jump hits
Rokudenashi Blues
Dragon Quest Dai Adventure.

A lot of people reading these newer Shonen series probably are just fans for now and if you don't try to help them expand their horizon they will probably get bored and now you've lost a fan and a customer.

Then again Viz pretty much ignores the fact they have exclusive rights to the Shogakukan library and the mature titles they could be putting out. Or older Shonen Sunday library as well.

They don't even keep anything in print either.
Phoenix has had volumes out of print for 10 years yet their website claims you can get Phoenix in print.
Or a bunch of other series Please Save My Earth,Cheeky Angel, Project Arms,Boys Over Flowers,Saint Seiya,Basara,Maison Ikkoku etc... that their website claims you can get but most of it is out of print.

That all comes down to a bunch of factor. They can't just do whatever they want.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
SHOKUGEKI NO SOMA IN ENGLISH WSJ WHOOOOOOOO AWESOM...

What? HI-FI CLUSTER? Are you ****ing kidding me, Internet? Really? Democracy is broken.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred èIDLIVE on a regular bases, that was pretty solid.l Hi-Fi Cluster was definitely my second choice. But I agree. Its a pretty week premise/start.

Basically there is no 'Stealth Symphony' among this bunch. But I guess you take what you can get in an Anthology.

Anton Chigurh wrote:
What? HI-FI CLUSTER? Are you ****ing kidding me, Internet? Really? Democracy is broken.

Stealth Symphony regularly ranked last in Japan for most of its run. You ain't kidding.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi-Fi Cluster was my least favorite of the Jump Start series. I'm pretty confident that it won't stick around for long, so I'll probably just skip it in the magazine for now.

I wasn't crazy about any of the series, but I think Judos was actually my favorite. elDlive and Sporting Salt were kind of a toss-up for my second & third place, but Hi-Fi was solidly 4th for me. I hope that even if Hi-Fi doesn't last long Viz keeps up with the Jump Start initiative, because even thought I didn't really love anything this time, I think it's really cool, and a step in the right direction to eventually getting most or all of the magazine in English (a guy can dream, can't he?)

As for Soma, I think that's great news. I enjoyed the chapters that were previewed in Jump, and I'm happy that it's joining the magazine regularly!
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
My reaction to reading the issue:
"Sh*t, it didn't get any better after the first three chapters. Why couldn't we get Sporting Salt"

After seeing the announcement at the end...:
"YEEEEEEEEES! Finally I can read one of my favorite series as it comes out without having to resort to scanlations!"

Sooo, I kindof have mixed feelings on this issue.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Would have prefered either èIDLIVE or Judos but i'm cool with Hi-Fi Clusters.
And I would rather have had Jojolion rather than Food Wars but, eh. The power on the anthology.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Jojo's suppose to be starting a new Arc at some point soon. If we were to ever get it in WSJ, I'd suspect it'd be around then.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
I get that Weekly Shonen Jump wants to serialise the newer chapters to help combat scanlations, but as a new reader, I really wish that they would also go back to the beginning and serialise from Chapter 1 as well.

I mean, the people who will be happy about the series publishing chapters simultaneously with Japan would already have been sold on the series (whether or not that actually means its products would be sold to them, is another thing though).

As for Hi-Fi Cluster...none of the JUMP Start series' excited me at all, if I'm perfectly honest.

Somewhere wrote:
From what John Bae (one of the editors at Viz) said in the comments section of this week's issue, they'll do what they did with Nisekoi. Run the latest chapters as normal and let the volume releases handle the backlog.

But isn't the point of serialisation to sell the later volume releases? So where does that move make sense?

I'm not going to see Chapter 92 in JUMP and think "Oh yes, I need to buy the previous 9 volumes", I''ll think "Oh, 91 previous chapters?" and just skip it in JUMP, like I do with Blue Exorcist and World Trigger - too much for me to catch up on.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
As someone who has regularly jumped into comic series mid stride (including most of the current WSJ line-up) I've never had any particular issue with starting in the middle. A couple of weeks and you're good to go.

Except Naruto. Two years on, its still completely incomprehensible. One of the least accessible comics I've ever seen. I'd glad its finally over.

'Skipping Content' is just a head scratcher for me. Why would you ever want to do that? I even skim the stuff I loath, like Nisekoi and Naruto. Because why wouldn't I?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2