• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney's Big Hero 6 Gets Anime Short by Comedian Tekken in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaannnnnddd now I'm sad again...

spoiler[Dammit, the dude just wanted to help the world and be there for his little bro! Not gonna lie I was at least hoping Baymax would have at least landed a massive punch on Callahan before getting his chip back in. Fucker deserved it after what he said.]
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:

spoiler[Dammit, the dude just wanted to help the world and be there for his little bro! Not gonna lie I was at least hoping Baymax would have at least landed a massive punch on Callahan before getting his chip back in. Fucker deserved it after what he said.]

Nope, this's the post-Pixar Lasseter era, where even the bad guys aren't too bad.
(Unless they're princes. Rolling Eyes )
As it is, when spoiler[Callahan was about to destroy nasty-jerk Krei], supposedly the tense action climax of the movie, I just sat there passively thinking, "Okay, and our heroes should stop this...why, exactly? I mean, instead of helping?"

Basically, BH6 could almost be seen as a parody of "What if Pixar/Lasseter-Disney really HAD done The Avengers?" Complete with cuddly characters, huggy redemptive climaxes, sniffle-flashbacks, and avoiding big action where nobody really gets too hurt...
In fact, typing that just now, I could even see a Lasseter-Avengers parody where Black Widow is turned into a hyperactive comic babbler like Honey Lemon, Aunt Cassie, and Anna.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Damn, the feels. It makes me want to watch the movie again.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Nope, this's the post-Pixar Lasseter era, where even the bad guys aren't too bad.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Mother Gothel, Doctor Facilier, and King Candy were absolutely despicable, irredeemable people with motivations that were entirely selfish. To add to that, Youkai and King Candy were spoiler[actively okay with killing children to forward their agenda.]

(And far from being a Disneyfied Avengers, it's honestly a better film than that one. Not that I didn't enjoy the hell out of the Avengers, but yeah uh- this is a better movie, I think.)

Anyway, the short was beautiful. Hopefully BH6 gets the attention it deserves in Japan. It's a fantastic film.

Last edited by kazenoyume on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
machetecat wrote:

As it is, when spoiler[Callahan was about to destroy nasty-jerk Krei], supposedly the tense action climax of the movie, I just sat there passively thinking, "Okay, and our heroes should stop this...why, exactly? I mean, instead of helping?"

Basically, BH6 could almost be seen as a parody of "What if Pixar/Lasseter-Disney really HAD done The Avengers?" Complete with cuddly characters, huggy redemptive climaxes, sniffle-flashbacks, and avoiding big action where nobody really gets too hurt....

So I guess Batman is also for kids and such? Give me a break, just because a person chooses to follow a certain morality doesn't make them soft. The others kids besides Hiro wanted to spoiler[put the villain behind bars because that's what the law would say. Their personal feelings should be irrelevant in the matter. I mean, in this case the villain didn't even directly kill Tadashi, he just simply was mean about what happened, and that warrants extreme injuries or possibly death? Good lord, that's disproportionate retribution to say the least. Letting emotions rule you is how we get police brutality and such. And if you actually support stuff like that, well let me just say I find that highly disturbing.

Also, in terms of recent Disney villains, Turbo from Wreck-it-Ralph tried to force Ralph to watch Vanellope die in the climax. How he's not "too bad" is beyond me.]

Finally, spoiler[at least Tadashi was legit dead. They couldn't even keep Coulson dead in the MCU. Yeah, Big Hero 6 is SO SAFE. Seriously, just because a movie chooses to be more optimistic and have a generally positive ending doesn't automatically make it inferior. Heck, even Avengers softened its ending. A huge alien invasion breaks out in New York and only approx. 1,000 civilians were killed? Sure movie, SURE. Rolling Eyes Like, I loved Avengers, but let's not pretend that it was that dark or anything. Age of Ultron is where it's supposedly supposed to get brutal.]
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Callahan actually WAS responsible for Tadashi's death. He started the fire so he could steal the microbots. While not MURDER, that is manslaughter. And his reaction to Hiro saying Tadashi DIED trying to save him? "Well that's his fault." WHILE HE'S TRYING TO KILL THE KIDS SO HE CAN GET HIS REVENGE ON A GUY WHO WAS JUST AS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS DAUGHTER'S DEATH AS HE WAS FOR TADASHI'S!

I wasn't up for killing the guy, but I REALLY wish Baymax could have at least decked him before everyone intervened. He SO deserved THAT.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
They forgot to do the Fa-La-La-La-La-La-La
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
That was just beautiful to see and shows the bonds Hiro had with Tadashi and then later on Baymax and that song really did get some sniffles out of me so job well done there.

I love Big Hero 6 and it's my personal favorite animated film of 2014 and I think this movie may become a big hit in Japan. Will it be as huge as Frozen did over there? Doubtful but you'll never know so never say never because the potential is definitely there for sure.

@EricJ2

I can't help but laugh at your ignorance right there.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
This was super adorable!! Just like the movie! I haven't seen that much emotion put into a Disney movie since Toy Story 3. (Yeah I know frozen spoiler[ had a death scene and the ending was a big shocker] but this was real, and raw, and they didn't sugar coat it at all when spoiler[ Tadashi died, I mean his brother was literally depressed, that's kind of rare to find in a Disney movie] overall this is probably my favorite Disney movie of the decade so far (although I really do like Wreck it Ralph, I used to love Frozen before everyone started singing the songs, and it followed me everywhere and continues to follow me to this day, anyway this movie is amazing and I really want a Baymax of my own. (Or at least a plushie that heats up.)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to the Japanese to take one aspect of a Western film and make it better. Damn all your trickery in making me want to see this film! Damn you for making me cry at work.

I heard quite a bit of good things about the film. So more than likely I'll probably wait until it's available on DVD. So that's the name of the robot. Well, y'know he does have qualities that either place him either a Ghibli film or a Gainax feature like Evangelion. So don't be surprised if that happens as a parody in fanart.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Got a few reports about the "off-topic-ness" of the thread and decided to deleted said posts. Please keep the discussion focused on BH6, instead of speculating/insinuating the subjective pros/cons of other Disney/Pixar films.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but you could've left in the post about how much funnier/cuter Honey Lemon would have been if she had been a fangirl's magical-girl parody, at least semi-in keeping with the comic.
You could just see Yokai's reaction to her trying to do a "introduction" scene, straight out of her favorite fictitious anime. Shocked

Instead of the gag-well they've been going to a little too often, and twice in this film alone.
(...C'mon, Lasseter, do you see any OTHER anime besides Ghibli?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1