• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's Tezuka Kickstarter Fails to Meet US$380,000 Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Bad advertising is one part but that goal was disgustingly high to begin with. This is literally the first time I've heard of this campaign.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
That goal is more money than a few anime series's budget altogether.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay how does it come to that much? That's a lot of money! Were these going to be printed on gold flecked paper or something?
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Okay how does it come to that much? That's a lot of money! Were these going to be printed on gold flecked paper or something?

First level was 20 volumes. Even then that's way more per volume than the last one for Captain Ken.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
13-volume The Three-eyed One
Quote:
Seven-volume Rainbow Parakeet
Quote:
$380,000 goal

Somebody must of been smoking some good stuff when coming up with that number. That comes to $19 grand per volume!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
That comes to $19 grand per volume!

That's not how it works.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
That comes to $19 grand per volume!

That's not how it works.

...I am aware. I am just saying that that is how people will look at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, $380,000 seemed to be too much for manga titles this niche. I think they might've had a slightly fairer chance had the advertising been a bit more widespread.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I find people are getting wary and over saturated from kickstarter. I didn't even hear about this project. However Tezuka's The Creator was successfully funded in June of last yr and yet not a single backer has received anything from that campaign.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, Tezuka's The Crater was from a completely different group, and.... yeah, I probably lost the money I sent that way.

On the other hand, DMP has had multiple Tezuka kickstarters succeed, and have actually produced the books. Reading between the lines and some of the comments from where I backed this particular kickstarter, it seems DMP actually had a much bigger goal than what they actually describe on the page. It seems that this was a kind of proving point for them. They were aiming for release rights for the Tezuka catalogue - not just the series that you could purchase in the Kickstarter, but everything not currently licensed. To make things even more complicated, they were hoping to get them all out in the next 5-6 years. That's 400+ books.... 75 or more a year. If successful, that would have been the initial 20 books (up to 31) all coming out in July 2015. One go, no waiting for the next volume, and steps in place to put another 30-40 out later this year.

Ambitious? Yes. Not properly conveyed? Yes. Needed more advertising? Definitely. Would have been great if succeeded? Definitely.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think the problem was that the goal was just too high. They did get or generate some publicity near the launch of the Kickstarter,

-----
Crunchyroll, Digital Manga Launching Osamu Tezuka Manga Kickstarter - UPDATED (October 18-19, 2014):
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/10/18-1/digital-manga-launching-osamu-tezuka-manga-kickstarter

ANN, Digital Manga Planning Tezuka Kickstarter Covering 6 Series (2014-10-19):
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-19/digital-manga-planning-tezuka-kickstarter-covering-6-series/.80082

Kickstarter, Captain Ken, Update #11 (Oct 21 2014):
[(PR) Tezuka’s World Release on Kickstarter - Digital Manga, Inc. to Crowd fund Tezuka Backlist]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/publish-osamu-tezukas-shonen-captain-ken-vol-1-and/posts/1012714
-----

and Digital Manga's president did explain his reasoning shortly after the launch

-----
Update #3, A Message from our President: Hikaru Sasahara (Oct 23 2014):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/tezukas-world-release-publishing-osamu-tezuka-mang/posts/1027920

Update #4, A Message from our President: Hikaru Sasahara - prt.2 (Oct 24 2014):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/tezukas-world-release-publishing-osamu-tezuka-mang/posts/1027964
-----

I'm not sure what publicity or advertising they could have realistically done that would have got them to the goal in those 30 days.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
The goal was way too high this time, and the book rewards started at too high a price point. I've contributed to Tezuka Kickstarters before, but this one was too rich for my blood. I hope they don't give up, though. Do another one with a more modest goal, and they could succeed.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
I did gave $800.00 for god sake looking dirty at others i did everything i could Mad !!!!
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
This would've been far better broken up into several smaller Kickstarters. Especially since it ended a month before Christmas. When the price per volume in the Kickstarter is well above the RRP (and that's ignoring the fact that most places online will sell at a discount as well), then I'm not all surprised (and quite glad, tbh) that it failed.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Damn right it failed. There is no way that I would have ever been able to afford to back that project. I just don't have the money. I'm sure that most people feel this way and maybe that's why the project failed.

Real shame though, I really wanted Alabaster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2