• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Publishes Shirahime-Syo, Duklyon: Clamp School Defenders, The Third Manga Digitally

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh how I would love to see someone rescue Beck, Kyo Kara Maoh, and Saiyuki too. I'm happy for fans who wanted the titles and now have the chance to get them.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Awww yeah! CLAMP School Defenders!

Quote:
Oh how I would love to see someone rescue Beck, Kyo Kara Maoh, and Saiyuki too. I'm happy for fans who wanted the titles and now have the chance to get them.

Viz has KKM! on their digital store right now actually.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I always like seeing license rescues, i just just wish more of them were released dead tree, not digitally. Thou in the case of "The Third" i own the TP version.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
BluExocet wrote:
Awww yeah! CLAMP School Defenders!

Quote:

Viz has KKM! on their digital store right now actually.

REALLY!!!! Surprised Thank you!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Darn, I rather have a physical rescue, not a digital rescue.
These are two titles - along with Suki which Viz also rescued for digital distribution - that I'm still missing from my collection. That being said... IF I was ever to get into digital collecting (although it would have to be by force), at least I can trust Viz's translation to be far better than Tokyopop's translation. I have yet to ever have an issue with any manga I've read from Viz.
thennarynak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
These are two titles - along with Suki which Viz also rescued for digital distribution - that I'm still missing from my collection. That being said... IF I was ever to get into digital collecting (although it would have to be by force), at least I can trust Viz's translation to be far better than Tokyopop's translation. I have yet to ever have an issue with any manga I've read from Viz.

Actually from what I understand about these license rescues Viz really isn't changing anything with them, outside of modifying the covers to have the VIZ Select bar on them. So no new translations.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Right. VizSelect means, "We put our name on Tokyopop's old books and distribute them digitally," so there's nothing new here. If you want print, all these titles seem to be readily available used on Amazon for $2-3 a book.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
thennarynak wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Actually from what I understand about these license rescues Viz really isn't changing anything with them, outside of modifying the covers to have the VIZ Select bar on them. So no new translations.

That's a little disappointing they don't do new translations for the eBook only rescues. Though, I think it was the same with another company that has some old TP titles digital too. Sometimes Tokyopop's editions bugged me and sometimes not. Shirahime-Syo was really nice in hardcover.

@Aura You're lucky about VIZ then. Several of my favorite series ended up censored or had other licensing issues from them. But, VIZ generally have the nicest typesetting I've seen from NA companies.
CtimenesLover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I wish TokyoPop hadn't shut down to the point where they now exist as barely a company at all.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Viz considered adding their longer catalog titles like Basara, Boys over Flowers, or Maison Ikkoku to digital... or rescuing Fruits Basket.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
I wonder if Viz considered adding their longer catalog titles like Basara, Boys over Flowers, or Maison Ikkoku to digital... or rescuing Fruits Basket.

They do have Basara and Boys over Flowers among others!
http://www.viz.com/manga/digital

It would be nice for so many works of Rumiko Takahashi's like Maison Ikkoku to be available again too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1