• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Momoiro Clover Z Performs Theme Song for 2015 Dragon Ball Z Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
It's really weird that ANN refuses to translate the title of this movie correctly.

But anyway, I liked the SMC song by this group. I just don't know if they'd produce a song that fits DBZ. I just hope it's not an awful cover of a previous DBZ song like that version of "Cha-La Head Cha-La" FLOW did for BoG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lt_Ripley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Why do you call Freezer ´Frieza´?
Rosiero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, why? Out of all Japanese idol groups I know, this has to be the only one I actively dislike, because what I assume to be their center (or at least the loudest one?) has such poor vocal technique that I'm incredibly surprised they ever got to professional status. When I first heard the OP to Mouretsu Pirates, I assumed it was the kind of song where the show's voice actors sing it, just because of how irritating the performance was.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Z and its progenitors have this uncanny knack of taking logical leaps when it comes to the power and prowess of their villains. I am sure that once Frieza is revived, his power will be somehow amplified or reset far above the levels of successive villains like Cell, Buu, and now Beerus. Logically, once he is resurrected, Frieza would be easy to slap around on the playground at his previous power level compared to those guys. In fact, I think this was even addressed in that episode arc with Pikon.

Oh well, whatever. Insert the catchy theme music, twist the plot like a balloon animal, and get the popcorn ready. What I dearly love about this show is how cleverly ridiculous it still manages to be.

Not really interested in Clover Z, but adding Maximum the Hormone to the fight scenes is pretty sweet.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I wanted Masaaki Endoh. Maybe in the next movie when Cell returns, thanks to the 2 secret secret Androids Dr. Gero created in that same lab where 16,17, and 18 were, but just underground.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Considering previous themes of Dragonball....why? Confused

Well, I expect upbeat and cute from this. I just don't think it'll fit Freeza.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly my expectations for this movie just became astronmically higher
High on Muffins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, I'm not too happy about this. Their vocal range and technique is so poor to the point of it being annoying to listen to, they sound very bad to me. Not to mention that I don't see how their overly cutesy singing style fits DBZ in any way, but welp what can we do. I'm certain that the reason as to why these girls were hired for the job is to attract the hardcore idol fans/Otakus to watch the film, which I think is unnecessary.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Second one and no Kageyama Anime hyper
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
The [F] song that will be used in the movie sounds terrible for me, so i guess it's a good way to balance, as i like Momoclo songs for SMC.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I just hope it's not an awful cover of a previous DBZ song like that version of "Cha-La Head Cha-La" FLOW did for BoG.
Really? I kind of liked it. I at least liked it more than the original, but then I never found the music in Dragonball to be that exceptional.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I just hope it's not an awful cover of a previous DBZ song like that version of "Cha-La Head Cha-La" FLOW did for BoG.
Really? I kind of liked it. I at least liked it more than the original, but then I never found the music in Dragonball to be that exceptional.

It was so autotuned it hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
High on Muffins wrote:
I gotta say, I'm not too happy about this. Their vocal range and technique is so poor to the point of it being annoying to listen to, they sound very bad to me. Not to mention that I don't see how their overly cutesy singing style fits DBZ in any way, but welp what can we do.

This wouldn't be the first time though since the first half of Kai had a song from AKB48 of all groups which wasn't that great either.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Lt_Ripley wrote:
Why do you call Freezer ´Frieza´?

His name is Freeza. "Frieza" is merely an English dub thing and "Freezer" misunderstands how the name is supposed to romanized. For the record, "Freezer" in katakana as フリーザー, whilst his name is actually written as フリーザ. That "ー" implies elongation. In English, this is usually romanized by putting "ar" or"er". It also can be romanized by doubling a letter. "Freeza" just happens to be one of those examples, where the "rii" can be/is romanized by making it "ree". Do you understand?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1