• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Baseball Manga Major's Sequel Centers on Goro's Son

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Like everyone forsaw... But well, I still feel a prequel should do better. Centering Goro's dad... in his prime years... He's one of the coolest ever...
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Like everyone forsaw... But well, I still feel a prequel should do better. Centering Goro's dad... in his prime years... He's one of the coolest ever...

That's actually an awesome idea. I'm not sure if it would do well with Shonen Sunday's target audience, though, because that would end up making the prequel a bit historical as well in its approach.

I just hope that whatever Mitsuda does in MAJOR 2nd, he will NOT kill Goro Shigeno. So Mitsuda, please don't do a Tiger Mask II with us. You don't need to kill the old hero to bring in the new hero, okay?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
But how else will a rivalry form between Joe Gibson III and Goro's son if it doesn't involve a baseball-related fatality?
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But how else will a rivalry form between Joe Gibson III and Goro's son if it doesn't involve a baseball-related fatality?

As a great wrestler once said: NO!! NO!! NO!! Goro could go retire because of an injury, but please don't kill him.

Besides, it seems unlikely that this kind of rivalry would be used again. They're definitely going to use all-new characters for this sequel, and much of the old cast will probably be left to fill in cameos at this point.

And personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the father-son dynamics between Goro and Daigo. This is one aspect of the series that I wished I could've seen more with Goro and his father Shigeharu.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
I agree that the father and son dynamic was missing in Major, however I feel that in the first season there was a strong bond between Momoko and Goro, and I wouldn't want Kaoru/Shimizu to fall by the wayside (again) in this continuation.
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I agree that the father and son dynamic was missing in Major, however I feel that in the first season there was a strong bond between Momoko and Goro, and I wouldn't want Kaoru/Shimizu to fall by the wayside (again) in this continuation.

Well, we could always have both of them alive. And Goro and Kaoru have a daughter, so it's not like Kaoru is going to be forgotten that quickly in this series.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
there shouldn't be many accidents in a sports manga, its more realistic without them. Then again we need some new stuff to make Daigo's story interesting~ I just wish for anime adaption in the future.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
l o o k i n g f o r w a r d !
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
What if after his retirement, Gōrō turned to drinking because he couldn't coup very well. Every day he "dies" a little more, and it can provide as a motivation to Diego... *ahm* Daigo to make his father's dream come true.

Or it would in a more shōnen-esque way and Daigo finds one of Gōrō's old photo albums/listen to "that ol' story"/watches a old news clip covering one of his father's games/whatnot, and gets fired-up.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Oh my goodness. Maybe we're going to see 100+ anime episodes again? Not that I mind!
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Oh my goodness. Maybe we're going to see 100+ anime episodes again? Not that I mind!

*prays*
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

Depends on how well this sequel does in Shonen Sunday. Keep in mind that this is Mitsuda's first manga after he was forced by circumstances to end his Buyuden manga. At this point, I just hope Mitsuda gets to recuperate from that experience through this MAJOR sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1