• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Animator in Japan Offers His Take on the Industry's Wages and Work Environment

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I wish these studios would pay these hard workers more. Heck, I would be willing to donate a few Benjamins via PayPal.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wish these studios would pay these hard workers more. Heck, I would be willing to donate a few Benjamins via PayPal.

Good intentions but unfortunately there needs to be a more permanent solution. I hope more will bring to light and these artists get compensated more than a few dollars
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
After reading this article, I think the previous article and this one confirmed my suspicion. Overworked and underpaid, and yet the anime industry (production committees, and CEOs) makes a lot of money and paid the animator so little. This is unacceptable after reading this.

EDIT: Also I would like Justin to answer and verified these on the next Answerman segment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"the artist inside of me was screaming at the fact I wasn't making really high-quality feature films and series. Now everything about my life is utterly horrible, however the artist in me is completely satisfied."

By making Naruto?
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Yea, well, but "white knights" feel so high and mighty thinking they are supporting the industry with their plastic purchases primarily and merchandise. Smile What you are supporting is a small number of greedy people get even more filthy rich. But who cares as long as you get your fix. That goes unfortunately to most of things in the capitalist word thou not exclusive to this industry.

And so many naive people here thinking so hard how the labor hand can win more,not understanding that it does not matter if a company eanrs more profits, the labor hand aint seeing any extra penny. Simply human nature the more you have the more you want. It also brakes the status quo of how capitalism works, so it aint happening, you need to keep modern day salves as that, you have to make sure they cannot complain because there are countless more outside that will gladly win even less if needed to take their place.

This guy just proves this system, so he "feels" happy doing what he "loves" so even if he is a salve a its fine! Perfect system. That is how it works and why no-one complains and accepts the harsh reality as unchangeable fact.

Last edited by Madoka...AYUKAWA! on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I would too. Especially if there was an option where you would receive a chunk of studio artwork in response. Sponsor an animator, get a chunk of some of the stuff they drew that the studio no longer wants/needs.

It's for this reason that I enjoy going to conventions. I've given money and gift certificates to several artist guests in the past as a thanks for the nice sketch they drew for me. I know I can't support every artist and I know that what I give them is just a drop in the bucket in what they deserve, but I feel a lot better being able to give them something nice in return for the enjoyment I get from their work.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Considering how many anime are just adaptations of manga, novels, or video games, i find it tough to believe that animators get to be "artists" rather than "laborers".

I'd love for anime studios to elaborate of the pay structure and compensation for workers. A this point I believe there is a serious problem that many in the industry are choosing not to speak about. I don't watch many anime, but it still bothers me that the industry could be working like that.

Besides, aren't anime extremely expensive in Japan? If that money isn't going to animators, where is it going?

This might be perfect timing for a Tales of the Industry column.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't watch many anime, but it still bothers me that the industry could be working like that.

Besides, aren't anime extremely expensive in Japan? If that money isn't going to animators, where is it going?

Dude, you're not alone. I don't watch much anime these day, and reading this article bother me because I'm against slavery. Also I asked that same question just like you did. I could give you the answer: 90% probably goes to the production committees, and the CEO while the other 10% goes to the studio.

you also wrote:
This might be perfect timing for a Tales of the Industry column.

Well that and a Answerman column to validate this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Considering how many anime are just adaptations of manga, novels, or video games, i find it tough to believe that animators get to be "artists" rather than "laborers".

Startlingly, there is a lot of art in animating things that makes it different than manga, or novels. Some animators animate for their love of animating. If they wanted to be illustrators or authors they wouldn't be artistically fulfilled by animation.

Fronzel wrote:
By making Naruto?

Believe it or not, there's plenty of good qualities to the animation in that show. You might need a primer on Sakuga if you're thinking Naruto is all garbage.

As to the article itself, it is a shame. I feel the industry needs some good reforms but it also doesn't seem anything short of a major disaster is gonna shine enough light on the issue. Overwork can be soul crushing, as a Letter Carrier, we "Go Postal" for similar reasons. Though they never really fix the root causes...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Although it was discussed in the previous article on the subject, I'll raise the question again: what exactly is the JAniCA doing (more like not doing...) to change this phenomenon?

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how much Justin would verify. They really do get paid horribly. If the studios had adjusted the pay so that they get paid better, I wonder how that would affect their budgets for the shows getting created.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
By making Naruto?

If the alternative is working on American children's shows, it's a definite step up in terms of artistic merit I would think. More freedom to express your animation talents and creativity.

Gasero wrote:

Buying expensive items at a store doesn't pay the minimum wage cashier or the assembly line workers. The higher up production staff like the directors, writers, and actors get a bigger portion of the money.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Buying expensive items at a store doesn't pay the minimum wage cashier or the assembly line workers. The higher up production staff like the directors, writers, and actors get a bigger portion of the money.

And the studio is likely just getting a flat rate to animate it.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Here we complained about federal minimum wage being only $7.50/hr

while across an ocean - people getting pay $1 something an hour?

well down south to the neighbor country-- i heard people are getting paid -- $4-$5 a day

so for people making $30-$50 an hour, they should be grateful-- but nah-- they wanted more

money-- i guess it's something you can't have enough of.
TheMP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the sound engineering teams and the marketing teams and the IT teams and the accounting teams and the human resource teams and the copyrighting teams and the administrative teams.

Oh yeah, and those pesky voice actors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6